Best Admin Asst Advice

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 99 of 99)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Lore in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

Anne, I don't quite agree with you there. If the situation is bad enough and the person in question won't do too badly if they are unemployed for a couple of weeks then I say go for it - just quit.

I personally left a 'great paying job' that nearly gave me an ulcer before finding another one. I've hopped back into temp work in the meantime because I am a qualified, intelligent individual who will be able to find another job either on my own or on a temp-to-perm basis. Its hard to find another job while holding down another because most employers (or at least, this is how my former employer operated) frown upon taking a lot of time off.

So, have a back up plan but don't feel that you have to stay in a job that makes you unhappy because you can't leave until you have another job. There are other options out there that would work just as well. And don't feel bad if you do chose to leave this profession - it isn't for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tara in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

Wow I am very surprised at all these negative remarks for adminin's...I was thinking of going into the carrer myself. I suddenly have found myself very discouraged.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

84 months ago

Anne,

That's fine you can disagree, and yes, I agree that if someone is truly getting an ulcer, then obviously quit. But in most circumtances the job is no longer fun, but not quite intolerable. I say an employed person is MORE DESIRABLE to employers than one that is not employed. And there is no guarantee that no matter how great one's skills that a job offer will appear!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

Anne -

But I'm not unemployed. I am actually employed through a temp agency. That was the option I went with. I am just as DESIRABLE as any other job applicant on the market. I don't think you can definitively say that because I am a temp that I am less qualified or lacking in comparison to someone who is taking time off of work to go on job interviews. I have experience on my resume to back me up.

Sticking with a job where you are disrespected and treated like dirt because of how your office mates view your position is not worth the money. Perhaps you've just lucked out and have had the opportunity to work with good teams of people who respect everyone around them no matter their rank in the office. - but that is kind of hard to find in this field.

So, Anne, glad to hear that you've had good experiences as an administrative assistant. More power to you for sticking in the field. But the field just isn't for everyone - I say try it and see if you like it before deciding that it is or is not for you. I personally just found it to be dull and didn't particularly care for the way the position was viewed in my previous company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

84 months ago

Lore,

I sell real estate, I'm not an admin. asst. I left a few years ago as it was so degrading, stressful, etc.

I do know a lot of people "employed" by a temp agency and it's hardly "employed." They might get a small assignment here or there but it's a REAL job. :) Does the temp agency keep you TRULY busy and in the $$ to pay your bills? If so, great. That's unusual though unless someone get a good long term assignment. :)

About 20 years ago (!) I had a GREAT Admin. Asst. job at a large computer company. Everyone was fun (there were still politics of course) but it was an exciting atmosphere. Times have changed and admin. work is more routine and repetitive now and much more is expected of them without paying additional compensation! They are still paying for some temp jobs $9 and $10/hr. (!) I was earning that in 1986 through Kelly Services!

From what I've read, studies continually show that employed people "appear" more desireable to employers.

I'm glad you found the answer for yourself though! I still say in most circumstances it is very risky to quit before you've found something else as you have to explain in more detail why you left - and they're always suspicious!

Lore in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

Anne,

Exactly - that is what I was finding more and more with my particular administrative assistant position. The company I was with was selling an nearly obsolete service (printing of bank statements and other things that are moving strictly online)to their clients. Since I worked as a Sales Assistant I had to deal with the majority of their frustration which often turned out right nasty.

I explained that to my temp agency and they were really understanding about it. Apparently its fairly common for people to come in because of that. You could do the most menial job in the world, but if you have co-workers that you get along with then you'll find that you're more willing to stay. I think that fitting into the corporate culture is important when going into a job - any job at all.

Temp work pays a bit better now, depending upon your experience and skill level. I have had no problem finding a temp-to-permanent or direct placement through a temp agency over the past few years. And if I should go on an interview that wasn't found through my agency I would tell the truth - that I didn't feel like I was a good fit with my previous company, that they were in the process of going down and that I am going to be going back to school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Austin, Texas

84 months ago

I have to disagree with some of the comments I've seen here about Admin work being degrading and low paying. I guess it's all in how you perceive yourself and project to others. It's best to choose a company that is high profile and technology firms are always hot. Working in Sales brings a higher salary and if you're a self starter there is plenty of stuff to do that gives you great experience; like running sales reports, hosting parties for the achievers, and even purchasing hardware for your Team. I did it all - reviewed resumes, dabbled in office management, built offsite meetings, and planned meeting agendas from content to timelines. At my last 2 jobs I was appreciated by everyone and considered the "glue" of the Team, and was trusted with the most confidential of information. In the DC area my 2007 W2 lists my salary at $86 K and I earned every penny! This was in additon to being recognized monthly with appreciation awards and incentives.

I have a big smile to match my big body (100 lbs overweight unfortunately) but I also have a big attitude and a professional image. My experience helped me land my latest job in my new town in TX and a good salary (not as high, but certainly liveable!) - in IT! I had no idea I could do what I'm doing now, but they like my organizational skills and my bull dog don't let it go until it's done behaviour. And I'm 53 years old, it's not like I'm a pretty little thing kissing up to the boss (if you get my drift).

Don't accept being degraded and act like you own your job and have pride in your skills and accomplishments and others will, too!

I'd go back to being an Executive Assistant in an instant, but one thing I'll never do again is agree to do some personal assisting for an Executive - that is just pure drudgery and you end up with a boss that takes you for granted - ugh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

Cat - Just to play the devil's advocate for a second, I don't think you want to say that you don't agree with the comments people made about their personal experiences. Because those are real experiences that people actually had during their time as administrative assistants. I think what you wanted to say was that you've had a good experience being an executive assistant (which, is a little different - executive assistants go at a higher pay rate and usually have a larger skill set and as thus are given more opportunities and a bit more respect because of that) and want to share a good experience to counter balance all the bad reviews. :)

I can't speak for everyone, but I've been talking about my dislike for the drudgery and the way I would get taken for granted in my previous team. It all depends upon the company - some will give you drudge work and others will challenge you. But like I've said, those that challenge you are few and far in between for regular administrative assistants. You do need to work your way up to being an executive assistant if you want to be challenged.

It also wouldn't hurt to love working in a service industry - because that is what this essentially is. I don't particularly care for taking care of people all day long - i had expected my former team to treat me as an equal, rather than like a mom who would fix their spills and put up with their whining while I did as such! If I want kids, I'll plan on having some of my own thanks! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cat in Austin, Texas

84 months ago

Point taken - my apologies to those I offended. I did mean to say that Administrative work can be a good career path if you have a take charge attitude. I should also state that were many moments when I had to be a "Mom", however, that part of my personality is intrinsic and I have to say that I did put up with it and did internalize the stress of it often. I had 2 women Executives who were incredibly self centered and expected things out of me that blurred the lines of equal opportunity for me (as a result, I much prefer a male Executive), yet at the same time I knew I could say "no" to personal requests, I just never did. There *were* many days, in fact, when I did grin and bear it but the paychecks were so good, and the opportunity so great to stretch my skills, that I tended to over compensate. In the end, the company did lay me off (with a great package) before anyone else on the Team despite my perfect employee reviews. I have to say the corporate view must have been that an EA is a luxury rather than a necessity, and now the person and department I supported are struggling to keep up with their own jobs and having to do without. They didn't even have a Holiday party because I wasn't around to organize it, so needless to say I am MISSED, and that is my sweet revenge.

Even so, my 10 years of Admin experience, and the last 3 of it as an Exec Admin, created an outstanding resume that helped me land my current job. And though I have taken a cut in pay, my current title will build as I move along in my current company.

Overall, I do belive it's a great career path if you're willing to stick your neck out and be a go getter. I mentored my daughter along in the field as well, and she is now 27 and a SR. Management Analyst with a well known consulting firm - she started as a receptionist, then as an Admin, and quickly progressed to an EA of a CEO of a huge company, and then using that to propel to the next step where she is now.

Anne in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

I would be an Executive Assistant for the right boss and the right company. I worked on a temp assignment for AIMCO, it was TERRIBLE -- totally uncreative, very task oriented, extremely routine, high pressured -- it was like it might be working in a FACTORY (without union perks!) :)
--

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Career Admin and Proud of It in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

84 months ago

I understand that the "admin" field is not for everyone. However, I have been in this field for over 20 years and love my jobs. It is "how you perceive it" and yourself in many respects. I was with a company 18 yrs and "out placed". When I asked, "why me" - I was "overqualified for the position". Over 81 yrs, I supported 1-5 Section Mgrs, mgrs, etc. and staff of 12-45 people. My last review was exceeds or commendable. 3 months after I left, they tried to upgrade job - denied - then it was filled with 2 people- quite a bit of work. I had quite a bit of training, a good backbone, and diverse field of knowledge. Made the best in my resume, and succeeded. Next job was a 20% increase in salary. Go with what you're comfortable with. Have a game plan, Plan B & C. Admins can be the "glue of the group" and the best "bosses" I had have said that I was great in this role. You are "mother" if you allow this. My review responses were "contributed well to a positive working environment", good communication, meeting/exceeding customers needs, and follow through. BE your own advocate: stay informed, get training, and find a tactful/productive way to handle “demeaning” situations. Most temp agencies usually do not have your best interests in mind, just their $$s. Use these jobs, learn new skills, get letters of recommendation, and better yourself. There is not “just a secretary” role any more. Most admins also handle the financials, keep the group on schedule, switch hit responsibilities, and are the first point of contact. If you don’t like this role, get learning for something else. Respect yourself and others. There are jobs I’d never want, but will not degrade them.

Career Admin and Proud of It in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

84 months ago

Oops, goofed. Typed 81 instead of 18. Before there are quips about my typing. Caught it, corrected.

Bobbie Jean in New York, New York

84 months ago

Dear Career Admin-your post really made my day. It provided me with the uplifting spirit I needed to realize that I am important in the field that I do. Sometimes I don't feel that way-I have a team who pretty much only acknowledges me whenever they need something, but I know I can take those same skills somewhere else where they can be appreciated.

A lot of ppl out here say that admin work is drudge work-well, it really depends on the company-I agree with that. I guess it's all about you finding the correct fit, and taking ownership of your role. You have to MAKE it work for YOU.

Bobbie Jean in New York, New York

84 months ago

Dear Cat from Austin,

I am 100% with you your preference for a male executive. Where I work now, I primarily support the EVP of Account management and his entire team of females. Suffice to say, I wish it were only he who I had to deal with. Or, at least let there be some type of diversity on the team. I'm sick of working with women all the time!

Anne in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

Bobbie Jean in New York, New York said: Dear Cat from Austin,

I am 100% with you your preference for a male executive. Where I work now, I primarily support the EVP of Account management and his entire team of females. Suffice to say, I wish it were only he who I had to deal with. Or, at least let there be some type of diversity on the team. I'm sick of working with women all the time!

Women CAN absolutely be pains in the as____ and they tend to micromanage! However, so can men!! They can communicate very poorly!

Don't judge a boss based only on their gender -- I've had some very crappy MALE bosses who sees women as "low level" and had a woman who tried to help me any way she can! It totally depends on the person!

Lore in Melbourne, Florida

84 months ago

Career Admin - Good to see another person who enjoys their role as an administrative assistant. Some people really take to the role - some do not.

I hope this discussion board gives people interested in this field a balanced idea of what it cane be like out there in the real world with this role. Some were happy and took well to this job and enjoy taking care of other people and their needs. Others were frustrated with the field and wanted to leave. (I found myself in that position, signed up with a temp agency and was immediately placed as an account manager within a company - I'm much happier in a role where I take responsibly for my own work and my own work alone).

Career admin, you said "There are jobs I'd never want, but will not degrade them" - I haven't degraded this particular position. I've shared my personal experiences in that role with the board. It wasn't for lack of "owning" my job either. I was over qualified for my job but was treated like someone who had no previous job training simply because of my title. That assumption of mine was confirmed not only by co-workers but by the HR department of my former company -- they have a long history of losing administrative assistants because of their attitude. Not all companies will give you chances to advance within. Or if they do - as my former company did - they will take it for granted. In my role I planned large meetings, golf tournaments, redesigned their marketing collateral, redesigned their website, etc etc etc. There are many sides to this field, as I said. It's good that they're all presented.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

84 months ago

There are many sides to this field, as I said. It's good that they're all presented.

Yes, it also depends on what your expectations are. Some admins. want to get ahead -- and move into management -- (difficult to do usually; if you start off in office work you are often pegged that way). Others are happy doing what they're doing, others are happy having a few challenges here and there.

It's a matter of finding the RIGHT FIT -- employee and employer must agree! :)

Jer in Fort Worth, Texas

84 months ago

I was with a company for almost 37 years and I got laid off....My job was eleminated...I got only 3 weeks sevents pay and my health insurance paid for 2 months. That was it....and I am not at the age of retireing, I like about 3 more years....Who wants to hire me at this age please notify me...J

Crappy jobs at Stivers! in Littleton, Colorado

84 months ago

Jer in Fort Worth, Texas said: I was with a company for almost 37 years and I got laid off....My job was eleminated...I got only 3 weeks sevents pay and my health insurance paid for 2 months. That was it....and I am not at the age of retireing, I like about 3 more years....Who wants to hire me at this age please notify me...J

Check with AARP and the Dept. of Labor in Texas!

You could try agencies and expand on the fact that you HAVE LONGEVITY -- somthing they are always supposedly looking for!

Amber in Hamlet, Indiana

83 months ago

Hi, i was wondering if i ask a few questions.. could an administrative assistant answer them? i'm doing a paper for my english class and i need someone who has the same career as my major answer just a few questions.. I will post them on here..please reply back with the question and answer, i'd really appreciate it..thank u

Amber in Hamlet, Indiana

83 months ago

1. What is the “easiest” part of this job?

2. Do you think that this job is a good place for someone who is interested in broadening their career in secretarial positions?

3. Do you think that Indiana is a good state to find a secretarial job?

4. If this job was unavailable what would be the next closest job?

5. What would be the best quality to have to work in this job environment?

AA in London, Ontario

81 months ago

I have worked in various administrative roles for the past 15+ years and no matter how much I love/hate the work, it's the people that make or break it for me. The biggest realization for every one of us is that the people we support don't fully realize how much they truly value us, and how much we actually do - until we're gone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monique in New Jersey

75 months ago

I've been an Exec Admin for 15 years. I find the pay and the job very rewarding. I am in the pharmaceutical industry working for a top level executive in HR. The keys to being a great admin are organizational skills, detail oriented, professional deamenor, and love of the pc. If you don't possess those traits leave the profession immediately. You will also need to constantly upgrade your skills in every area of your work. Where I live, your experience determines your salary. Exec admins here earn from $60 to $90K.

Anonymous

73 months ago

I've noticed that so many of these posts have typos in them. Kind of surprising coming from a bunch of admin assistants!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous

73 months ago

Cat in Austin, Texas said: After working as an Exec Admin for almost 10 years, I find myself "laid off" - the reason, my "position has been eliminated". I was well paid (75k+) and definitely part of the "inner circle" up to the day this happened last week. My serverance package is reasonable and part of me is relieved, but fear and trepidation is setting in. I'm shocked that my boss, who confided in me her own plans and every little personal detail from her credit report, etc. gave me no warning this was going to happen. The staff of Directors I worked with are all upset and shocked and have no idea how to proceed because I was the "glue that kept the office running". A few other Admins at my level were also laid off and nobody asked us what we did, although I know for a fact that nobody in the office remains to pick up the job duties that were so "mission critical" from just the day before. I don't get it.

Cat, there's nothing "to get." No one (even you) is indispensable. Anybody who thinks they are is just kidding themself.

Anonymous

73 months ago

Monique in New Jersey said: I've been an Exec Admin for 15 years. I find the pay and the job very rewarding. I am in the pharmaceutical industry working for a top level executive in HR. The keys to being a great admin are organizational skills, detail oriented, professional deamenor, and love of the pc. If you don't possess those traits leave the profession immediately. You will also need to constantly upgrade your skills in every area of your work. Where I live, your experience determines your salary. Exec admins here earn from $60 to $90K.

What part of New Jersey are you from?

missyhope in New York, New York

73 months ago

As a experienced "professional" Executive Administrative Assistant, my advice to you is to find a real career - one that doesn't depend so much on the "chemistry' that you have with your boss. I can guarantee you that you will not be happy as an Administrative, Personal or Executive Assistant by the time your are in your 40's. Your salary will peak after five years and employers will want younger assistants that they can pay a lower salary to. I have a college degree from a highly accredited university and very good skills and was "lured" into being an assistant when I graduated from college because the salary seemed high at the time. I regret that to this day. Very few assistants are truly appreciated and most are taken advantage of. The higher the "rank" of the Executive you are supporting, the more demanding the position is and the longer the hours are. Please, do yourself a favor and find another career path.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

AA in London, Ontario said: I have worked in various administrative roles for the past 15+ years and no matter how much I love/hate the work, it's the people that make or break it for me. The biggest realization for every one of us is that the people we support don't fully realize how much they truly value us, and how much we actually do - until we're gone.

I totally agree with you.

Monique in New Jersey

73 months ago

I'm in Union County NJ

73 months ago

Anonymous said: Cat, there's nothing "to get." No one (even you) is indispensable. Anybody who thinks they are is just kidding themself.

Cat,

What you experienced is happening all over. Your company was thinking of cost savings and decided it was paying you too well. If the staff of Directors that you refer to is unable to manage without you, the company will eliminate some of those positions or "restructure". They'll then redefine the responsibilities slightly and hire new employees at a lower salary.

Anonymous in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

So many people on here are saying that admin is a dead-end low-paying position. This is ridiculous. Here's the deal: it's a great job for certain people. No, it's not a six-figure salary. But you know what? Not everyone can earn that. A lot of people enjoy and thrive in admin. It's so condescending to act like it's a nothing position. It's critically important to the success of many businesses. And someone who is looking to get specialized training in the field is doing something smart for themselves - they are getting educated. They are taking steps to create a career. It's better than sitting around whining about how much a job sucks.

Lori in Gilbert, Arizona

66 months ago

Surprised in Stamford, Connecticut said: The admin assistants were I live make big bucks ($45 to $70) but I would never want the job. They do all the work and their bosses get all the credit. I compare the job to being maid, servant and baby sitter to adults. You have to take a lot of crap and be a miracle worker.

I totally agree, if you want to be a well-dressed, underpaid babysitter, go for it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steven in Seattle, Washington

66 months ago

Surprised in Stamford, Connecticut said: The admin assistants were I live make big bucks ($45 to $70) but I would never want the job. They do all the work and their bosses get all the credit. I compare the job to being maid, servant and baby sitter to adults. You have to take a lot of crap and be a miracle worker.

their bosses get all the credit because they are the ones that are doing the thinking and decision making.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Workin' in Chico, California

66 months ago

I would be a maid if I was being paid 45 to 70 dollars an hour. I live in California and am thankful I have an admin job that even pays me $15 an hour!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Missy in Oak Ridge, Tennessee

65 months ago

C-level means CEO, CFO, COO, CIO.....not grade C level.

Donna D in Fuquay Varina, North Carolina

65 months ago

missyhope in New York, New York said: As a experienced "professional" Executive Administrative Assistant, my advice to you is to find a real career - one that doesn't depend so much on the "chemistry' that you have with your boss. I can guarantee you that you will not be happy as an Administrative, Personal or Executive Assistant by the time your are in your 40's. ... I regret that to this day. Very few assistants are truly appreciated and most are taken advantage of. The higher the "rank" of the Executive you are supporting, the more demanding the position is and the longer the hours are. Please, do yourself a favor and find another career path.

I see so much whining about being an admin. If this is not what you want to do, find another career path. As admin >25 yrs (12 yrs exec/sr) I love this profession - yes, it is a profession. It is like any other job, if you don't apply yourself, continually learn/upgrade your skills, you will resent the position, this will show in your attitude, and eventually you will put yourself out the door, in jobs you don't like.
I have had wonderful bosses and some monsters within the 80/20 rule. However, the 80% made up for the 20%.
In some cases, admins are paid lower and first out the door. However, be proactive w/these jobs to "grow". If you find a niche in the admin field, get classes that focus on that aspect. I am working towards the MS certification through self study and taking classes in accounting and Spanish soon. This knowledge gives me the confidence and background to look at other types of admin positions. My forte's are communication, budgets, and directing my "boss's" reports. The chemistry (confidence in/respect of admin) is earned. Of course the higher you go, the more demanding.
If you want to be a maid @75/hr and like that, go for it. Quit degrading admins, I have been called "the glue of the group", team leader, and director's right hand person - I earned these accolades by working hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Missy in Oak Ridge, Tennessee said: C-level means CEO, CFO, COO, CIO.....not grade C level.

I chuckled with this response. If someone is asking about "C" level, then they don't have enough experience to go for this type job. I have seen many admin's apply/get these type positions are gripe about the hard work. Well, they probably were not qualified to handle them in the first place. No admin with just a few years of experience can handle this level position. Not that they don't have the intelligence. You have to have the poise, professionalism, and experience in the "C" level "world" to succeed.
Yes, I have seen recent grad's get these jobs and they are in way over their heads. They expect others to do the "minial" tasks, whereas these "tasks" are part of their job.

65 months ago

I happen to be a well-educated, poised and competent Executive Assistant. While I don not disagree with what you said to a certain extent, I would still not recommend the occupation as a career path, at least not in New York City, where I reside and work. There's a line between hard work and tolerating abuse and the very high level EA's that I know (and there are quite a few), have all suffered from abuse at one time or another, regardless of their salary. In fact, the very high salaries working for these "difficult" top Executives is commonly know as "battle pay".

64 months ago

missyhope in New York, New York said: I happen to be a well-educated, poised and competent Executive Assistant. While I don not disagree with what you said to a certain extent, I would still not recommend the occupation as a career path, at least not in New York City, where I reside and work. There's a line between hard work and tolerating abuse and the very high level EA's that I know (and there are quite a few), have all suffered from abuse at one time or another, regardless of their salary. In fact, the very high salaries working for these "difficult" top Executives is commonly know as "battle pay".

We've all had our good guys and demons as bosses - every job at every pay level. My point is, this is a great career path anywhere - if that is what you want. There are some jobs I'm qualified for and won't pursue. I've been admin >15 yrs and at EA level for over 8 yrs, experienced both sides, and still pursue this as my career. Been through school of hard knocks more than once. However, I have also pursued and acquired training, skills, and knowledge.
This job is not for everyone. Also, this is not a position to be minimalized or degraded - because it is "admin". Your job is what you make it for 80% of the time. You can succeed in anything if you continue believing in yourself, even if it takes saying those words each AM in the mirror. I'm not being pollyanna about this, you just have to keep going. Perseverence does pay off.

Aquastingray in Tipp City, Ohio

64 months ago

ken from alaska in Soldotna, Alaska said: I,m going to be going back to school to get rehab because of back engery.rehab told me AA would be a good job to start out in. reading these peoples reports makes me want to rethink what i might want to do for my future job.I only get two years of rehab.Should i think about medical coding or stay with AA.I would appr some feed back.Ihave to let them know on 6/11/07 monday thanks ken.?

Hi Ken i am just like you i have a back injury and cant work,but the states paying for me to get an associates degree. They advised me to do informational interviews in person or on phone with people in business fields thats what i tested high for. I was thinking about medical coding and billing but looked at the jobs on the internet they only pay like 13.00 or so, But Administrative Assistants make about 18-20.00 plus AA jobs are in every industry,Manufacturing,Grocery,Retail,Medical,State Jobs,Federal jobs look Ive looked up stuff about jobs on Occupational Handbook website or go to library, Look on your State websites etc..Plus health care might be changing and they might make less pay so I wish you the best of luck,maybe we can chat sometime. Peace Aquastingray

T in Salt Lake City, Utah

64 months ago

Nambrosia in Attleboro, Massachusetts said: Being ridiculously jobless for way too bloody long, I'm about ready to take one of those mindless reception jobs. I have years and years of experience, but a cruddy employment record (due to many different reasons that are hard to explain in an interview). I just want a job that I don't utterly despise, which pays enough so I can survive and support my daughter - single mom- that I never have to leave. this job searching stuff is far more difficult than any actual job I've had.

I feel your pain. I had just gotten the opportunity to get paid for the hard work I can do. (only had a job for about 5 months) Now it has gotten so slow I have gone from full to part time, and from hourly to commission. I am technically an office manager (my last job I got laid off b/c it was slow too. I learned a ton b/c I practically ran a small company) but now I am basically a receptionist. The job search is horrible. I am good with people and if I can get an interview, I can get a job. I feel used and abused because I am ACCEPTING this pay/hour cut but, there is no other work! I just need a steady job to where I don't have to stress about not knowing if I have a job the next week.

The Administrative assistant thing is like anything else- you have to prove yourself and get noticed. That's what I did and got rewarded. Note: I did have a good boss.

rex1962 in Berkeley, California

60 months ago

An Administrative Assistant is a dead end job. Believe me. If you are hired as an AA or an Executive Assistant, but want to advance in your career at that company, don't do it. Most bosses and Personnel Managers think that AA or EA as just good for administrative work. I've been there and the Personnel Manager would put you in a box of AA or EA for the rest of your career life at that company. I think is best to go into an entry level position in your wanted field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Small Town near Big Town in Raleigh, North Carolina

59 months ago

rex1962 in Berkeley, California said: An Administrative Assistant is a dead end job. Believe me. If you are hired as an AA or an Executive Assistant, but want to advance in your career at that company, don't do it. Most bosses and Personnel Managers think that AA or EA as just good for administrative work. I've been there and the Personnel Manager would put you in a box of AA or EA for the rest of your career life at that company. I think is best to go into an entry level position in your wanted field.

Not necessarily so. What better place than to get an overall view of the company/environment? What you do with your job/position is what you'll get out of it. Being a career AA or EA is not for everyone. You have to have intelligence, savy, poise, and continuously educate yourself - just like any other job. One advantage is that usually, you are one of the main points of contact. I enjoy my work, always have. If you desire to advance, in this position you can also learn by watching others. Trying to get into your "wanted field" at entry level may be good advice, if there any of those type positions open. I know of quite a few people who started out as AA and one is a Sr VP at a F500 company.
Good luck.

Harriet in Denver, Colorado

57 months ago

There is a reason they burn and churn the staff....

Babette in Denver, Colorado said: Wow -- do you think they have enough tasks for this person to do? I'm exhausted just READING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't they hire more than ONE person to do it all? Surely with all those executives, they have the money!!!

Gevo, Inc. is a high energy, team-oriented organization that is pioneering the advanced biofuels industry. We are looking for an Executive Assistant for the Executive Team, which will be based in Denver, CO. The purpose of this position is to administratively support all members of the Executive Team, including the CEO, CSO, Vice President of Business Development, Vice President of Bioprocessing & Engineering, Controller, and Director of Human Resources. At times, this position will be needed to support any Gevo team member. Expanded duties may include corporate communications, project management, and reception duties.

Missy in Chicago, Illinois

42 months ago

Merribelle in Denver, Colorado said: DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND LIFE DOING ADMINISTRATIVE WORK! IT'S THANKLESS FOR THE MOST PART --

IF YOU TRULY LIKE REPETITIVE TASKS, WORKING FOR LESS THAN YOU'RE WORTH, AND WORKING ON A COMPUTER, THEN IT'S FOR YOU! :)

I have to agree with Merribelle but she forgot to mention office politics. I used to work at a real estate office. Anything would go in that office. People would call in sick last minute, be late 4 days out of the week, bring personal drama to work, be on Facebook or shopping online 90% of the time and not do any work. How do I know this? Because I had to pick up the slack. The boss would know this but he just didn't care as long as the work got done. At first I would pick up the slack but after I got sick of it and I really didn't care if my co-worker did it half-a**ed. It wasn't my job, it was hers. Anyway, I quit and six months later she gets fired. I guess no one picked up the slack after I quit. Real Estate agents are the worst kind of people you can work with. They are so full of themselves.Your job as an admin is to kiss their a** because you get a paycheck because of them. You are trained like a dog to drop everything at their every whim. They also use you as a punching bag when they get pissed at their clients and they love to take it out on the staff. They love to belittle staff.It gets old after a while. I was there more than five years & the only raise I got was 50 cents because I had to work one night shift.Mind you this is one of Chicago's Top Selling Offices, it's not as if they couldn't afford it. I wasn't the only one that hardly ever got a raise, I know the rest of the staff was treated just the same.Our phone calls and emails where being monitored,talk about paranoid. I can't imagine what kind of real estage secret was going to be divulged? Seriously this is beyond pathetic. The lady I replaced had a heart attack.I should've thought about that before taking the job.

Office Manager in Falls Church, Virginia

26 months ago

I wouldn't recommend this as a career for anyone. It is okay temporarily. People won't treat you well, you don't use your brain, it's monotonous, ect. Not to mention it is a complete dead end....and the pay isn't great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

marie62 in Sterling, Virginia

22 months ago

Try to eventually work your way out of being an EA, as once you're in that area, it can be difficult to get out of it and/or be considered for training, since they don't want you to leave that role. I know it depends on the company,but also on you being determined. I worked for a company for 5 years, and worked my way into a project assistant role, while still doing the EA thing. The company went bankrupt and now I'm now looking at more AA roles with a future. Cannot even imagine going back to that EA role - very depressing! And now I read you should have some certificate (CAP). Please what a gouge of your money. So beware of the pitfalls off this role - you may get stuck:( When firms in the 80s and 90s got rid of the middle manager role, they put alot of those duties on the EA - and we didn't get more money. Remember that....

marie62 in Sterling, Virginia

22 months ago

Try to eventually work your way out of being an EA, as once you're in that area, it can be difficult to get out of it and/or be considered for training, since firms don't want you to leave that role. I know it depends on the company,but also on you being determined. I worked for a company for 5 years, and worked my way into a project assistant role, while still doing the EA thing. The company went bankrupt and now I'm now looking at more AA roles with a future. Cannot even imagine going back to that EA role - very depressing! And now I read you should have some certificate (CAP). Please what a gouge of your money. So beware of the pitfalls off this role - you may get stuck:( When firms in the 80s and 90s got rid of the middle manager role, they put alot of those duties on the EA - and we didn't get more money. Remember that....

sg351 in Conyers, Georgia

2 months ago

My official title is "Executive Assistant" but in reality, I'm a babysitter, problem solver, mommy, punching bag, janitor, data entry clerk, and so, so much more. I had to take the job when I was laid off in 2010, and with the economy the way it is, I have gotten stuck. I have applied for millions of other jobs, but as soon as companies see "admin" or "executive assistant" on your resume, you are immediately pigeon-holed and dismissed.

The company I work for only sees me as "overhead"; a drain on the company that contributes nothing of real substance. Since I am not in upper management or in sales, I must be worthless in their opinion.

There is no real career path as an admin or executive assistant. No one can see you as anything else. I thought it would be a good short-term job that would pay the bills until the economy picked back up, but I am going on 4.5 years with nowhere to go. It is a very slippery slope, and like I said, it is nearly impossible to get out.

My advice to anyone considering this type of position: unless you love doing menial, brainless, idiotic tasks and have to clean up for and baby-sit adults, stay away. Even if you think it will only be a short term position, you will be branded with "admin" for the rest of your career life, and unfortunately, you will never be seen as anything else.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.