College degree needed to be a secretary

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 161 of 161)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

Bonnie in Greensburg, Pennsylvania

25 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: If I was hiring an administrative person, I would look for the following qualities:

1. Outstanding organization
2. Personable
3. (Not a drama queen) -- calm, poised
4. Not a game player -- mature, doesn't gossip
5. Ability to contribute to positive environment
6. Ability to coordinate projects (and follow up) from start to finish without supervision
7. Excellent phone skills
8. Articulate
9. Good speller, good business math
10. Ability to develop rapport with clients, other VIPS etc. who may call in.
11. Good p.c. skills
12. Common sense

This is one person that has got it nailed down! Know this because I am a seasoned worker.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

25 months ago

Bonnie in Greensburg, Pennsylvania said: This is one person that has got it nailed down! Know this because I am a seasoned worker.

Lets not forget: * Must be willing to work nights, weekends and Christmas Day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 years working in Willingboro, New Jersey

21 months ago

Scarlett said: Why is a college degree needed to be a secretary/receptionist/typist? What ever happened to life experience and good old fashioned common sense? I know the answer is that there is an overabundance of college degrees out there and, therefore, employees can now ask for degrees for the most menial jobs imaginable. When I got out of secretarial school, I taught myself, and was taught by some wonderful people on the job, pretty much all that I needed to know. I never got the sheepskin for financial and familial reasons and it now seems that I cannot compete anymore with all the freshly minted people coming out of colleges with BAs and above. How many employers really think that anyone with a BA is going to be content to be a secretary, or administrative assistant . Did they really lay out hundreds of thousands of dollars to be a glorified secretary? Will someone please explain to me why a degree is necessary to properly answer a phone, take accurate messages and compose and type correspondence. No, I certainly don’t know everything, but I love to read, and learn, and give me a day or two and I will be up to speed. Learning how to learn is just as important, if not more so, than where it was learned.

The name of the game is to get employees to wear as many hats as possible. The reason to expect a secretary to have a college degree is to get a mid-level manager AND secretary AND electronic documents manager AND receptionist, AND--the list goes on. Workers are being decimated and the only answer is for government to take a sharp turn to the left and claw back all the government functions that were "privatized" and outsourced. The only square deal I ever received was as a government employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

35 years working in Willingboro, New Jersey

21 months ago

Susan in Los Angeles, California said: Well, I am 54 years old. Looking for a fulltime Admin . with Accounting Skills position. I know computerized accounting skills. I am hoping that, along with my work experience, that by presenting myself in a well dressed professional manner, that will help me get a job. I am hoping that if I look polished, and have a nice personality, it may help me land a job being a person over 50. Any comments please?

I am in the same boat you are--over 50 and job hunting. EVERY recruiter I have met is younger than me and give me the "ick" look when they see me because of my age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

21 months ago

35 years working in Willingboro, New Jersey said: I am in the same boat you are--over 50 and job hunting. EVERY recruiter I have met is younger than me and give me the "ick" look when they see me because of my age.

Yeah, I see the disappointment on their faces, the minute I enter the room. Its not like I am applying at Hooters either.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

DeniseMR in BISMARK, North Dakota

21 months ago

In response to your comment regarding potential employers requiring a "College Degree" for an Administrative Assistant position, I agree that a college degree is definitely not necessary. For those of us over 50 it is frustrating. I think that a big part of the problem resides within the mentality/work ethic of twenty-something years old. They not only have very poor manners (on the phone, in texting, facebook, etc.). The basics of good grammar, proper dress, vocabulary and penmanship to name some important skills/characteristics of an AA were not taught as being very important. At home or in school! I taught at a college and was appalled that students had the nerve to turn in a term paper scribbled on ruled paper ripped out of a spiral book! Needless to say it was unacceptable and they were required to hand in the paper type written, with a cover page.

Maybe employers are getting tired of the lack of manners, phone and personal interaction etiquette and knowledge of how to compose a basic letter! I still do not believe that college will teach those things. I also agree that someone who pursues a college degree does not do so to become an AA.

I do have a college degree in Dance and fell back on my secretarial skills to earn a livelihood when my body started to rebel! By the way, I am from NY and worked for a Fortune 500 Company for years before being "laid off"..... Now I am in ND and I must say, this is the place to be.

Eugene in Detroit, Michigan

21 months ago

Well I'm going into the office administrative assistant field and I was wondering in todays economy is this in demand after I graduate college will I find a job in my field. And I also have some questions about college for example in college what type of courses do I need to take because a few colleges in Detroit said that I would need to take a administrative manager class and etc...... But latley. Been doin my research about this field and I think this that perfect fit for me so if your a office admin assistant please comment because I really need to know more THANKZ

BxGal1018 in Bronx, New York

20 months ago

Thank you! I'm cut from the same cloth. Graduated high school, spent a year in secretarial school and hit the ground running when I left. Everything I learned to be an administrative assistant came from EXPERIENCE and learning along the way. That's all you needed to have secretarial jobs but NOW these employers want degrees and particularly "recent college grads". Excuse me? Isn't that discriminatory? Also, as you pointed, why spend all that money going to school for 4 years just to type and answer phones? That doesn't make sense! I'm sick of it. Not knocking college grads but those who have been in the workforce for a long time are getting screwed these days.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kenjune in Okc, Oklahoma

11 months ago

Reading all of your comments, suggestions, advice, and experiences about this field has caused me to have second thoughts. I am 45 years old and have recently decided to pursue (for the moment) an Associates Degree in Administrative Office Technology, debating on pursuing a BA in the future. Many comments on here seem to think it will be useless at my age. I felt it would be worthwhile if not for credentials, at least for the education and knowledge. I am currently an Admin Assistant and have discovered how much I enjoy it. Please elaborate or newly respond on whether you believe this would be a good step at this point in my life.

parrothead in Charlotte, North Carolina

11 months ago

Kenjune in Okc, Oklahoma said: Reading all of your comments, suggestions, advice, and experiences about this field has caused me to have second thoughts. I am 45 years old and have recently decided to pursue (for the moment) an Associates Degree in Administrative Office Technology, debating on pursuing a BA in the future. Many comments on here seem to think it will be useless at my age. I felt it would be worthwhile if not for credentials, at least for the education and knowledge. I am currently an Admin Assistant and have discovered how much I enjoy it. Please elaborate or newly respond on whether you believe this would be a good step at this point in my life.

It would depend on what they are teaching these days in Administrative Office Technology.

I have recently been hired as an Admin. The tasks I'm asked to do vary from payroll entries, to heavy e-calendar management. And assorted tasks in-between, of varying complexity and in different areas of knowledge (basic copying, scanning, PowerPoint, event planning, etc.) The job does require a Bachelor's degree which I do have. It also requires strong skills in all office applications (Microsoft.)

It seems that, more and more, due to reduction in staff, admins are tasked with HR, Accounting, Marketing, and Sales functions. Any and all experience in any of those areas is of benefit. (I also don't include more than 10 years of experience in my resume. Most companies aren't interested and I use this to my advantage!)

Employers usually have different pay scales for jobs, depending on the education level. Having a Bachelor's degree has given me a foot in the door and the chance to obtain higher pay for jobs that were in some cases, advertised at lower pay scales.

I got my degree for me, back in my early 30's. I'm now in my late 50's. It's definitely paid off!

best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

panjakirevasan in Singapore, Singapore

6 months ago

I need admin job

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.