Escaping the Female Ghetto that is Administrative Work

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 132 of 132)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Monique in Alabama

3 months ago

Administrative Day!! I use to hate this dam day with a passion...I no longer work in these lousy jobs..But for those who do, try to get thru this day the best you can. I use to be honest and tell them I didn't want any flowers or anything else..i am here to pay my bills and that's it

I wish this day would disappear..it adds further insult

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

kim elizabeth in Janesville, Wisconsin

3 months ago

I always hated this day too, Monique. I worked for the worst boss (and person) ever as a "Secretary" and she treated me like crap every day. A year ago I walked off the job and now I work for a company as an Admin Assistant. Same job basically but it's like working on a different planet. When I first started working here, I would practically be in tears some days because I was treated so much better. Almost a year later it's better than ever. The witch I worked for used to get me flowers every AA day and I wanted to rip them apart and throw them in her face. I have never been treated so badly by anyone and the difference in my life since getting out of there is beyond compare. I know I'm fortunate. There are so many bad bosses out there. I can't even advise looking for another job because you are mostly treated like someone's slave and "less than" on a daily basis in this kind of job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

3 months ago

kim elizabeth in Janesville, Wisconsin said: The witch I worked for used to get me flowers every AA day and I wanted to rip them apart and throw them in her face.

Lol!

Yay, Admin Day...the one day of the year when anyone actually acknowledges us. :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Alabama

3 months ago

Although I no longer work in these lousy jobs, I still suffer from depression because I stayed in them too long...I still have flashbacks... Administrative Day is one of them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

I've been working part-time for the last year at this job. My supervisor stopped me and told me she left a gift for me. I didn't even know what it was for since it was that long since anyone acknowledged my efforts with a gift. I've never been a big supporter of Admin professionals day - I feel like they always treated it like an obligation so I would take off to save myself the humiliation of responding "it's my pleasure" - but, today I feel like even though I really don't like these jobs, I can go another day - pay my bills while I build my own business. I hope that other admins on this forum can find something tolerable while they meet their obligations - family, debts, schooling whatever. I also hope that they can be as fortunate as I have been to find their Plan B - own a business to build their own career and be the boss that they never had. Anyone interested in a Facebook group?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

3 months ago

Ms Doppelganger in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I feel the same way Shingami. I was actually reviewing my resume a little while ago and I feel that my career is actually moving backwards! The positions I've held have become simpler and more mundane. I also don't appreciate when higher ups try to put the weight of the whole company on you and blow smoke up your rear end when we both know well enough but I'm just a bottom of the food chain, expendable, cog. My least my supervisor and manager are up front about the fact that this job is easy and straight forward. And best of all, NO DRAMA!!

Me tooooo!! I also feel (know) I am going backwards. I think that is why I am even more upset and disgusted with this new job. Now, I had the drama and stress you mentioned and I did a lot more, at the new job I usually have nothing to do and it does feel great to not be rushing with work, but I still hate it for the simple fact that I have gone backwards.

I don't want a ton of work, but I want to feel like I'm improving in a role. I'm BACK at as a law firm receptionist in a dead end position. I'm so tired of reception. Even admin roles don't get me away from there, they just combine the two so I'd still be stuck as the receptionst doing admin work, putting away supplies, all while still being shackled to the front desk. These jobs are a definite trap for sure. Run!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

3 months ago

Monique in Alabama said: Administrative Day!! I use to hate this dam day with a passion...I no longer work in these lousy jobs..But for those who do, try to get thru this day the best you can. I use to be honest and tell them I didn't want any flowers or anything else..i am here to pay my bills and that's it

I wish this day would disappear..it adds further insult

I hate it too. I hated it even more because where I used to work, if you were a secretary your boss would take you to lunch. Other support staff who didn't specifically work for anyone got nothing and I was the receptionisf and got sick of everyone coming up front to stand by the door to wait to leave for their fancy lunches and laughing and chatting. It really made me feel like crap.

I also felt like they felt obligated to do something staff wise. They can screw off with this day. How about more pay and treating us like humans on a daily basis and we wouldn't need this stupid day?

I am interested in a Facebook page!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

3 months ago

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois said: They can screw off with this day. How about more pay and treating us like humans on a daily basis and we wouldn't need this stupid day?

Exactly!!

20 years in this field of $#&%...and to think they've just *started* recognizing it in the workplace!
I was only supposed to do this until my rock & roll career took off. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Alabama

3 months ago

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois said: I hate it too. I hated it even more because where I used to work, if you were a secretary your boss would take you to lunch. Other support staff who didn't specifically work for anyone got nothing and I was the receptionisf and got sick of everyone coming up front to stand by the door to wait to leave for their fancy lunches and laughing and chatting. It really made me feel like crap.

I also felt like they felt obligated to do something staff wise. They can screw off with this day. How about more pay and treating us like humans on a daily basis and we wouldn't need this stupid day?

I am interested in a Facebook page!

Facebook page is a great ideal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2 months ago

Facebook group is now created. Look for Going Beyond Admin and ask to be invited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Facebook group is now created. Look for Going Beyond Admin and ask to be invited.

I can't find it on Facebook. Are you sure it's created?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Admin. formerly in GA in Dallas, Texas

2 months ago

I am the orignal creator of this thread and it's fascinating to see that it is still going after all these years.

First off, I want to say good luck to those who are attempting to switch careers and congratulations to those who have been able to.

Just an update on what's happened to me since I started this thread. I hadn't be able to go back to school but I'm still trying. I also relocated to Texas. I was laid off from the job I had when I started this thread and once the economy tanked, I was never again able to find a full-time admin job and have either been unemployed or working low-paying service jobs.

While I don't encourage anyone to stay in the administrative field if you can find another alternative, I am more appreciative of the admin jobs I've had since I've only been able to get low-paying service jobs that keep me on my feet all day.

I'm working on being self-employed at this point.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2 months ago

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois said: I can't find it on Facebook. Are you sure it's created?

Going Beyond Admin. It's there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

2 months ago

Admin. formerly in GA in Dallas, Texas said: I am the orignal creator of this thread and it's fascinating to see that it is still going after all these years.

First off, I want to say good luck to those who are attempting to switch careers and congratulations to those who have been able to.

Just an update on what's happened to me since I started this thread. I hadn't be able to go back to school but I'm still trying. I also relocated to Texas. I was laid off from the job I had when I started this thread and once the economy tanked, I was never again able to find a full-time admin job and have either been unemployed or working low-paying service jobs.

While I don't encourage anyone to stay in the administrative field if you can find another alternative, I am more appreciative of the admin jobs I've had since I've only been able to get low-paying service jobs that keep me on my feet all day.

I'm working on being self-employed at this point.[/QUOTE

Thanks so much for starting this thread. I ran across it being silly asking the question of the internet - what can I do beyond admin. I needed this thread as my answer that day. I felt very much alone in my feelings about my work and to find so many people unhappy about this work was sad, yet strangely comforting. When I first started admin work, I felt more appreciated, but over the course of 20 years, it has been different.

Thanks also for giving us an update. I don't recall what you wanted to do about schooling, but unless you need schooling for a career you are passionate about, I would recommend holding on the expense. I did that route, but it didn't change anything - even working for a place that valued higher education.

Self-employment and entrepreneurship is the most viable option. Good opportunities are plenty in these areas. Best of luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

2 months ago

Admin. formerly in GA in Dallas, Texas said: I am the orignal creator of this thread and it's fascinating to see that it is still going after all these years.

First off, I want to say good luck to those who are attempting to switch careers and congratulations to those who have been able to.

Just an update on what's happened to me since I started this thread. I hadn't be able to go back to school but I'm still trying. I also relocated to Texas. I was laid off from the job I had when I started this thread and once the economy tanked, I was never again able to find a full-time admin job and have either been unemployed or working low-paying service jobs.

While I don't encourage anyone to stay in the administrative field if you can find another alternative, I am more appreciative of the admin jobs I've had since I've only been able to get low-paying service jobs that keep me on my feet all day.

I'm working on being self-employed at this point.

Hello and thank you so much for starting this thread and for the update! I was JUST re-reading early posts and wondering what happened to a lot of those people as this thread is quite old. I'm glad I found it because it wasn't until last year that my disgust in these jobs reached sky high and I wanted out. But when I realized I had no clue how to get out this thread was a good read because I'm not alone. For me it's also getting out of law firms. I'm tired of egotistical lawyers.
I'm sorry you hit a rough patch. When I got fired I wanted that to be my chance to move on, you know how it is. You probably would have never left if you weren't pushed out. Didn't happen for me. I know at this point you would take your old job back rather than McService jobs but I hope you keep pushing forward. I just hate that I settled. And I hate the feeling that I can do no better than to stay a receptionist. It is very frustrating, upsetting and draining. It's exhausting being poor and not doing something you like.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

2 months ago

Admin. formerly in GA in Dallas, Texas said: I am the orignal creator of this thread and it's fascinating to see that it is still going after all these years.

First off, I want to say good luck to those who are attempting to switch careers and congratulations to those who have been able to.

Just an update on what's happened to me since I started this thread. I hadn't be able to go back to school but I'm still trying. I also relocated to Texas. I was laid off from the job I had when I started this thread and once the economy tanked, I was never again able to find a full-time admin job and have either been unemployed or working low-paying service jobs.

While I don't encourage anyone to stay in the administrative field if you can find another alternative, I am more appreciative of the admin jobs I've had since I've only been able to get low-paying service jobs that keep me on my feet all day.

I'm working on being self-employed at this point.

Part time, min wage service crap is the only kind of job that's available anymore. Especially to us admins. We don't qualify for the few executive level or highly specialized positions that open up so we have to settle for bottom of the barrel. Unfortunately those positions don't want us either because we're overqualified.
There's no middle ground anymore. It's dying with the middle class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

2 months ago

The only thing that has worked for me so far is finding (oy joy!) more admin work farther away from where I live.
Our field is dying as companies try to pinch pennies by outsourcing, automating, and forcing fewer employees to wear more & more hats.
Decent admin jobs are few & far between...and by "decent" I mean work that is humanly possible for a wage that you can just barely scrape by with. Be prepared for the insane commute that goes with these.

My original screen name here was Sick Of Admin...now I'm just Sick Of It All! :P

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ElsieSE5 in Los Angeles, California

2 months ago

That is my current issue at the moment. I work as a Revenue Specialist for a great Non-Prof which contracts with a county agency. I love my job, and yes, my duties includes typical office ones. They now want to change my title to include Office Support. I have not signed the form. I do not want that included in my job title. In that case therapists, case managers, supervisors, etc. should have that included in their titles because, they too perform the same menial clerical functions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

neveragian

24 days ago

Nice to find a place where we think a like. Not sure how healthy it is, but ya gotta vent at times and only other admins get it.
I think I would actually enjoy it, if I was treated with more respect. Its OK for the upper management types to be rude, disrespectful and most of all ungrateful, but if you are having a bad day or god forbid treat them the same as they have treated you, then you are in trouble. I have been doing this for way too long, I took this last job 3 years ago when the economy was bad. I should have left when they told me that I would only be and admin asst. and if I felt I was over qualified then my boss hired the wrong person!! and that was from our HR group. I recently completed my AAS degree in health care management but have not found anything else.....yet. I am tired of fighting for every piddley raise I have received, I was told today that I should be grateful ( again) that I have received the raises I have gotten. this someone is consistently giving me work to do. I have a very type A personality and catch a ton of crap for being honest and assertive. you give me crap I am going to give it back, treat me with respect and you get it back. But management doesn't quite get that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

24 days ago

neveragian said: I have been doing this for way too long, I took this last job 3 years ago when the economy was bad. I should have left when they told me that I would only be and admin asst. and if I felt I was over qualified then my boss hired the wrong person!!

This is just about typical with a lot of these jobs. I feel like all these jobs are the same. Most office work I don't mind, But I feel like it's dang near impossible (especially with the bad economy now) to find anything with decent pay and minimal stress.

I saw a posting yesterday wanting the same old "proficient in MS Word and Excel" and typing 60+ wpm for $13 an hour. This is all that is out there. They want you computer knowledgeable that you can teach a class in MS Office but will pay only $12-$13 an hour. And to them that's still to much. That's why I'm so stuck. I'm tired of feeling like I have to kill myself taking computer courses, learning 34 new kinds of software to make $12 to do that and everything else in the office.

I'm looking for something completely different but also still looking for places where I can use my office skills but not in these 'typical' offices where they want you making excel docs and putting away supplies all day.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

23 days ago

Ha! $13/hour would be amazing...here they usually offer admins $9-11. Yeah! Minimum f***ing wage! And of course they still expect you to be a file clerk/secretary/receptionist/sales clerk/liason/software specialist/social media manager at the same time. Admin work is a joke everywhere but especially in California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

23 days ago

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California said: Ha! $13/hour would be amazing...here they usually offer admins $9-11. Yeah! Minimum f***ing wage! And of course they still expect you to be a file clerk/secretary/receptionist/sales clerk/liason/software specialist/social media manager at the same time. Admin work is a joke everywhere but especially in California.

I'd take $13 too but what they want in return I can barely provide. Usually I do see it starting at $11 that is about the base level of pay. I laughed on your list of everything else you need to be. Amen to that! So true.

I think that is what is so frustrating and scary for me. I used to see how a lot of those things were separated. Admin Ass. was one thing. Clerk was one thing. Receptionist was one thing. Accounting was one thing. Now they just fold them all together for $11-$12 an hour and they want expert level in all these different skills and abilities. Before, I could work in an office and never have to open Excel, barely Power point either. No A/P or A/R ever. Now, it's all inclusive. I'm very depressed I'm stuck with these skills in this day and age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California

23 days ago

Why be depressed when you did nothing wrong? You learned certain things which were specific to the jobs that you've held at the time. It's not your fault that corporate corruption and economic collapse have compiled every administrative position that was once separate.
Honestly I think it's time we started putting our foot down and making it clear to companies that we have 1 or 2 skills in which we excel, but we WILL NOT do everything! If they want us to do more than we do already, they will be REQUIRED to train us in those specific duties. Companies want us to do all the work - no! Put the responsibility back on them. Especially if they want to lowball us with wages.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

23 days ago

Sick Of It All in backwoods, California said: Why be depressed when you did nothing wrong? You learned certain things which were specific to the jobs that you've held at the time. It's not your fault that corporate corruption and economic collapse have compiled every administrative position that was once separate.
Honestly I think it's time we started putting our foot down and making it clear to companies that we have 1 or 2 skills in which we excel, but we WILL NOT do everything! If they want us to do more than we do already, they will be REQUIRED to train us in those specific duties. Companies want us to do all the work - no! Put the responsibility back on them. Especially if they want to lowball us with wages.

I agree with everything you said. If I can't completely change fields, I'm looking for a job where I don't need Excel 100% of the time or do any accounting/petty cash handling. I don't do math.

I most definitely agree with you that we have 1 or 2 skills we excel in and shouldn't be expected to know and do everything. Or take courses and earn a degree to just come and answer their phones and be their office waitress. It has definitely gotten ridiculous. I honestly can't believe it when I read the list of duties and then get to the pay: $11 an hour. sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

19 days ago

Wow, more and more people experiencing some real negativity in the admin workplace. For those of you who want to go a route of more education - do not think the education will do anything for you. Guaranteed you will accumulate more debt, but as a good friend of mine said - a degree does nothing - it is what you do with the degree that really counts. The fact is, many of us could attempt to be happy in admin jobs, I've tried, but over the years I feel that there is so much disrespect for those of us in these positions. There was a time I worked for people who knew regardless of my formal education, I was a smart and reasonable person - now I have people who treat me like there's something wrong with me. They give me answers like I wouldn't know any better how the company works. What's with that? They think that just saying Wow you did a great job with that - is showing gratitude, but it is negated when you throw me under the bus to avoid admitting you dropped the ball. Really?

For the person who said people here should stop whining - this forum has really helped some of us realize we are not alone in our feelings and views about this profession. Change the channel if you don't want to read it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

19 days ago

Going Beyond Admin group being formed on FB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois

18 days ago

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: The fact is, many of us could attempt to be happy in admin jobs, I've tried, but over the years I feel that there is so much disrespect for those of us in these positions. There was a time I worked for people who knew regardless of my formal education, I was a smart and reasonable person - now I have people who treat me like there's something wrong with me. They give me answers like I wouldn't know any better how the company works. What's with that? They think that just saying Wow you did a great job with that - is showing gratitude, but it is negated when you throw me under the bus to avoid admitting you dropped the ball. Really?

You know when they even say 'you did a great job' it's usually with some sort of condensation. They don't respect us and most definitely see us as the stupid, worthless help. Oh, until they need something then you suddenly better become Einstein and Hawking rolled into one. I've had some jobs I liked, some really didn't mind. Because they are go nowhere kind of jobs I always end up leaving in the end. I felt like there are some types of jobs like these where you can work until retirement. Office related jobs that is. Wish I could find one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms Doppelganger in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

18 days ago

lcschol66 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Going Beyond Admin group being formed on FB

Hah! finally found it! I just sent a request.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Ms Doppelganger in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

18 days ago

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois said: You know when they even say 'you did a great job' it's usually with some sort of condensation. They don't respect us and most definitely see us as the stupid, worthless help. Oh, until they need something then you suddenly better become Einstein and Hawking rolled into one. I've had some jobs I liked, some really didn't mind. Because they are go nowhere kind of jobs I always end up leaving in the end. I felt like there are some types of jobs like these where you can work until retirement. Office related jobs that is. Wish I could find one.

Records management is the same way. People pretty much treat you and your function like an afterthought. This means that a lot of times you don't get the resources, support and cooperation that's needed to get the job done correctly. But when they need something all of a sudden the whole burden is on you and it becomes entirely your problem. Oy vay!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JoJo in Reynoldsburg, Ohio

18 days ago

Shingami in Chicago, Illinois said: You know when they even say 'you did a great job' it's usually with some sort of condensation. They don't respect us and most definitely see us as the stupid, worthless help. Oh, until they need something then you suddenly better become Einstein and Hawking rolled into one. I've had some jobs I liked, some really didn't mind. Because they are go nowhere kind of jobs I always end up leaving in the end. I felt like there are some types of jobs like these where you can work until retirement. Office related jobs that is. Wish I could find one.

Condensation?? Really?? Could this maybe be the reason you don't get the respect you think you deserve and maybe why they think you don't know anything? I'm thinking maybe the word you're looking for here is condescension.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Helena in West Covina, California

2 days ago

Looking for ideas on how to improve the perception of Accounts Payable within the company I work for. After reading all the comments above, I've found myself relating to everyone here. I'm almost 50 and have spend the last 30 years in Accounting Departments and never achieved the respect any human deserves. I'm attending college nights, one class at a time, and when my supervisor asked what I'm taking she's shocked to find out it's not related to my current position. After all these years I'm taking whatever the heck I want. Astronomy and Real Estate are far from my job realm, but are refreshing insites to what's going on outside the 3 walls of my cubicle. Fortunately my job pays 1/2 my tuition costs, and I can spend my spare time studying. Icsholl, I tried to find the Facebook page you suggested but it doesn't come up for me either. Am I doing something wrong? I typed Going Beyond Admin but I can't find it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Helena in West Covina, California

2 days ago

found the Going Beyond Admin group.. admission pending :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.