Finding work after being unemployed going four months

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 322)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Patti Garfield in La Mesa, California

75 months ago

Finding it very difficult to find a job.
My last job I worked more than 11 years.
The problem it did not require much work
on the computer.
I responded to e-mails and basically
entered account numbers for my job
of delivering the inter-office mail.
Also I am over 50 years old.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ada in Reno, Nevada

74 months ago

Patti,
I went back to college and got my degree when I was 54. If you don't want to go that far, I'd recommend classes and training in any of the common software programs. Are you working through your state employment agency? Sometimes there is money available to help with training.
The job market is tight here in Reno. We just keep encouraging each other to keep on keeping on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

tina4545 in Pembroke, Georgia

74 months ago

I am trying to go back to college to get my degree and if I lived closer to town I could take classes but I will look on the internet for any free classes that will help me!!Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

74 months ago

Thanks I fortunately have savings and
tax returns, but I agree that I need
at the very least training on the basic
software programs.
Thank you again.

Bobbi Chadwick in Loganville, Georgia

74 months ago

tina4545 in Pembroke, Georgia said: I am trying to go back to college to get my degree and if I lived closer to town I could take classes but I will look on the internet for any free classes that will help me!!Thanks

HP will offer free classes (not in depth classes but they will you get you started) on-line for many software titles. I am 51 years old and put myself out there in consulting. Just go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

tina4545 in Pembroke, Georgia

74 months ago

Thanks I will try it!!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario

73 months ago

My sister taught herself a lot of the advanced functions. She wrote an article about it on my blog called "There's nothing wrong with asking for help".

secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/search?q=nothing+wrong+with+asking+for+help

I wish you all the best in your job search and in your training, whatever you decide to do.

Patricia

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jodith Allen in Bellingham, Washington

73 months ago

Microsoft offers a great deal of tutorials for it's Office programs on their website. They range from very beginner to advanced. I've been through a number of them and they really are quite good. You'll find the office tutorials at:
office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/FX100565001033.aspx

I would initially concentrate on the Outlook and Word programs, as they are likely what you will use the most. After that, PowerPoint and Excel.

I hope everything works out well for you.

Jodith
administrativearts.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

iva in San Francisco, California

73 months ago

If you really would like to learn software you can download a complete office suite from Open Office Source. www.2008-official.com/openoffice. All of the programs are compatible with MS Office, Works and Mac Media, so you'll get the benefits of practicing and becoming self taught. This is a free software package.

Also registering with temporary agencies is a good way to be placed on positions that will help you learn keep you busy. You can specify your work in responding to emails and coding a batching and mailroom; plus most temp agencies will allow you to come in and work on their computers taking tutorials etc. to gain more experience with the software being used in companies.

Please feel free to check out my blog for more tips on training, job seeking and interviewing andesattic.blogspot.com

Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Brenda Love in Sanford, North Carolina

72 months ago

Patti Garfield in La Mesa, California said: Finding it very difficult to find a job.
on the computer.

Hi!!
I have the same situation I amover 50 and out of work. I have had three interviews this week and I hope that one of them will be a job for me.

Every company is going to require some computer work now so go to Good Will and they have free online classes in computers and much more. This site will help you get the basics you need. Also go on line and you can do a free typing test to see where you are at as far as speed.

Think positive that something will come your way. No matter what the news says about recession always think positive.

Good Luck!!

72 months ago

Thank you for your response.
I pray that you do you get the job met for you.

Right now I am taking free computer classes at the East County Career Center in El Cajon.

I got a certificate for the 2002 Word Basics and I am now working on the excel
basics.

I also I have had lots of practice with the keyboarding drills.

I also will try to access and powerpoint basics.

I know that soon that I will get a job when I feel fully prepared.

Let me know when you get your job.

Rhonda in Nacogdoches, Texas

72 months ago

I would like to go back to College to get my Associate's @ I am 53... It is just something that I want... even at this age... Also, Real Estate...

I however... know that in the {job world}... They do {discriminate against} {older individuals}.... And it does get harder to get @ or keep the job...

admin in Bay Area, California

72 months ago

I am 57 years old, 10 years experience as an admin, computer savvy and been out of work going on 3 months now. I have received calls saying I have a very impressive resume, excellent resume, go to interviews and then they hire someone else.

I have even interviewed in companies where I was last temping and then find out the person they hired was internal, a friend of someone in that dept or external and younger.

Do you think age has a lot to do with not getting hired? Sometimes I feel like that when they hire someone in their 20s recently out of college. Now how can that person have more experience than me?

Very frusted and dont know what to do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

I am unemployed also and your experience sounds much better than mine.
Do not give up and pray for the right opportunity. You were not created by God without a purpose and job to do.
I have to tell myself this or I could not go on each day.
Recently I have learned some computer skills in beginning word and excel.
It is a start in the right direction for today's job market.
May God bless your search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lori Russellville TN in Kodak, Tennessee

72 months ago

Patti Garfield in La Mesa, California said: Finding it very difficult to find a job.
on the computer.

I have been an Administrative Assistant for my own company for the last 11 years, and can not find work either.
It is hard to find work here in Morristown TN.
I have ran my own company, doing everything from Hr to administrative work. Typing, accounting etc.
I will be 50 on May 24 and it seems noone wants to even reply if you at least got the job that you inquired about or not!
I never ignored any applicants, either I hired them after numerours background checks, reference checks and tests.
"Sheesh come-on Companies ATLEAST reply to the people that apply for jobs!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

The companies usually say they will only reply to the applicants they are interested in because they get hundreds of applications and it would take a lot of time and manpower to reply to everyone. I think that's just the way it is these days.

I am 52 and work as a legal assistant. So far I have not had any trouble getting a job, but I don't look my age either. I colour my hair and exercise and dress professionally. First impressions are everything. I think it's all in the way you present yourself. I don't put my age on my resume either so they have no idea how old I am. They go by my qualifications only.

If I let my hair go grey and looked older then maybe I would have a hard time as well, but I haven't experienced that yet.

It's a very competitive market for good admin positions. We have to dress and act the part to compete with the younger assistants. Our experience counts, but I think they are looking at the whole package.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Galyn Jones in Rialto, California

71 months ago

I am 55 and very experience receptionist/PBX operator. I have been looking for a job the past year. I had a stroke and unalble to type with both hands and have very little computer skills. I have even signed up with 6 employment agencies. I have been told that receptionist have to type, I have been on several interviews but when they ask about my typing speed it's down hill. What am I to do.

71 months ago

Galyn Jones in Rialto, California said: I am 55 and very experience receptionist/PBX operator. I have been looking for a job the past year. I had a stroke and unalble to type with both hands and have very little computer skills. I have even signed up with 6 employment agencies. I have been told that receptionist have to type, I have been on several interviews but when they ask about my typing speed it's down hill. What am I to do.

That is an unfortunate situation you are describing. Does your state have programs that help those who are disabled to get jobs and continue to be contributing members of society?

I live in Canada and we do have such programs and I'm sure if you asked around you may find something similar in California.

Meeting with a career counsellor would also be a good idea to give you other ideas as to what you can do with your extensive experience. Supervising others comes to my mind in an office manager/coordinator role. Your knowledge and experience are certainly things any employer would want to have.

Looking at other career choices may also be something you could look at.

I wish you all the best in your search,

Patricia
secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/

Lori Russellville TN in Kodak, Tennessee

71 months ago

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario said: The companies usually say they will only reply to the applicants they are interested in because they get hundreds of applications and it would take a lot of time and manpower to reply to everyone. I think that's just the way it is these days.

I am 52 and work as a legal assistant. So far I have not had any trouble getting a job, but I don't look my age either. I colour my hair and exercise and dress professionally. First impressions are everything. I think it's all in the way you present yourself. I don't put my age on my resume either so they have no idea how old I am. They go by my qualifications only.

If I let my hair go grey and looked older then maybe I would have a hard time as well, but I haven't experienced that yet.

It's a very competitive market for good admin positions. We have to dress and act the part to compete with the younger assistants. Our experience counts, but I think they are looking at the whole package.

Yes I agree, but I do dress professionally, but do not color my hair. I think I do give a good impression and do not put my age on my resume either. (Good idea ;-) ). Maybe Canada has more jobs in my field then here to. Right now the market for my job area is not that demanding.
Thanks Patricia
I won't give up yet. I have my resume in over 6 temp agencies to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I too dont look my age. People I work with are surprized when I tell them my age. I do have my hair colored every month, nails done, workout at Curves at least 3 days a week and dress professionally to interviews. But after being interviewed trying to convince them I have the expereince they are looking for and the computer skills, I think they can kinda figure I'm no spring chicken. :) Especially when some of the people interviewing me are admins that are screening first, dont even know some of the programs people used before Windows and MS Office were available. So now I only put down what the company is using.

71 months ago

Maybe we are only kidding ourselves with the hair colour eh? What do they say? 50 is the new 30? But how come I still feel 50?

I have not experienced age discrimination in the workplace, but it doesn't mean it isn't out there. And I have a job already, maybe it would be different if I had to go out and look for a job, but so far experience has won out over age.

I agree with you, don't put old stuff on your resume that is no longer in use.

Patricia

71 months ago

admin in Bay Area, California said: I am 57 years old, 10 years experience as an admin, computer savvy and been out of work going on 3 months now. I have received calls saying I have a very impressive resume, excellent resume, go to interviews and then they hire someone else.

I have even interviewed in companies where I was last temping and then find out the person they hired was internal, a friend of someone in that dept or external and younger.

Do you think age has a lot to do with not getting hired? Sometimes I feel like that when they hire someone in their 20s recently out of college. Now how can that person have more experience than me?

Very frustrated and dont know what to do.

Maybe they are hiring the younger assistants because they are cheaper. They have to pay for experience and might just go with someone they will have to train, but can pay entry level salaries.

Z28 in Boston, Massachusetts

71 months ago

Law firms like to hire young assistants right out of drug rehab...at least, where I worked they did.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Patricia in Ottawa, Ontario said: Maybe they are hiring the younger assistants because they are cheaper. They have to pay for experience and might just go with someone they will have to train, but can pay entry level salaries.

Yesss... It's all about younger... I'm 53 also... I have been out of work also for about a month... Getting very stressful... I agree with everything you have said.... I also have worked for attorney's....

71 months ago

Ada in Reno, Nevada said: Patti,
I went back to college and got my degree when I was 54. If you don't want to go that far, I'd recommend classes and training in any of the common software programs. Are you working through your state employment agency? Sometimes there is money available to help with training.
The job market is tight here in Reno. We just keep encouraging each other to keep on keeping on.

I also... checked into going back to college.... I am 53... and I wonder what all the young kids think about us going back at this age... Let me know....

Lori Morristown, TN in Kodak, Tennessee

71 months ago

on the computer.

Yes I agree with the job market here it is hard. I owned my own business for 11 years, now have to start from scratch!
I do not put my age on my resume, nor old jobs more then 15 years old.
I will say have much computer experience, have taken tests for them, an numerous Temp Agencies, State Agencies and still had this week three people tell me that "I am Over Qualified!" I nice way of saying I am to old. This has gotten me to b a nervous reck! I have no money at the present for College, am looking into grants etc, but hard here in a very limited, small town.
I keep looking and same to you!
I turn the big 50 Saturday and am so fustrated! Don't give up, I shead many a tears but will not give up!

71 months ago

I get that too 'Over Qualified'. Guess it is a good way of saying I'm old. :) But then too like Patricia said earlier, I think they hire younger, unexperienced girls/guys because they wont have to pay them as much, plus they can mold them into what they want.

deansuraci in Cornwall, New York

71 months ago

The next time someone says your over-qualified for the position......

Ask them............if you needed an operation would you want a doctor who was over-qualified or just qualified.

Going on an interview you have to be like a Hollywood Actor.......you have to give the performance of a lifetime......and there are no second takes.

71 months ago

Alot of managers in their thirties can't relate to someone in their fifties. They feel uncomfortable telling them what to do. They feel as if they are talking to their parents and would feel very uncomfortable in situations when they have to call the older worker into the office to tell them when the older worker had made a mistake. Also, some enjoy being able to control their employees. (younger ones are easier to control)

In terms of small businesses....some owners feel an older worker will use more in terms of medical coverage thus costing the small business even higher costs.

71 months ago

I do get that feeling when having to interviewing with someone younger than me. Also now days they make me interview with the admin in the dept so she or he can screen first before bringing me in to interview with the mgr.

And I also feel when interviewing with the admin, they dont want me in the dept because I would be a threat to them with all my knowledge and since most companies review you among other admin these days they wouldn't want someone that knows more that them.

71 months ago

There have been in the past and presently, people who have had a tough time finding employment. You are not alone.

Matt Lauer from the Today Show on NBC....right before he got the Today Show gig he was unemployed for 16 months...he was seriously thinking about getting out of the broadcast biz. (I think he was about to work for a Tree Company)

Some high-level ad executive from NYC couldn't find a job in his field...desperate and broke he went to work for Starbucks.....he just came out with a book.....How Starbucks Saved My Life.....Tom Hanks is suppose to play him soon in the movie by the same name.

I am reading a book called, "Finding Work Without Losing Faith"..in it they interview people who have had a very tough time finding work after losing their jobs...some even out of work for years.

It ain't easy..the thing that upsets me more and more is that some companies (especially most Headhunters) think your a dud if you have been out for more than 3 months. Headhunters can go to H_ll as far as I'm concerned!!! I was actually thinking about taking a position as one a few months back...I just wouldn't feel good about myself at the end of the day.

71 months ago

I totally agree with you that if you been out for more than 3 months they think you're a dud.

I feel really stupid when they ask me when was my last day (dah its on my resume) and I tell them my last day was Feb 29th. They make me feel like I'm really stupid because I havent found a job yet.

ddpete in Olathe, Kansas

71 months ago

I, too, am over 50 and in my second month of unemployment. I've been very discouraged and find myself sleeping later in the mornings and looking forward to a two-hour nap each afternoon.

I am tired of searching job postings, but you know what? The more resumes I send, the more potential replies. This week I have two personal interviews and two phone interviews. It is then up to me to sell myself, my skills, and my willingness to do the job offered. I have even offered to work as a temporary or contract employee for a period of time just to get my foot in the door.

Lastly, I always keep in mind my favorite quote:

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

This doesn't mean go in with an attitude of superiority, but just have confidence that you will find the right job that matches your skills and experience. It's out there. Make sure your resume is absolutely perfect and leave no stone unturned! Best of luck to all of us "over 50" crowd.

71 months ago

Good luck ddpete with your interviews.

deansuraci in New Windsor, New York

71 months ago

The book I talk about above is actually called "Finding Work Without Losing Heart".

It's not easy folks. The days will turn to weeks, the weeks then turn into months, before you know it, a year has gone by. And then you have the neighbors, friends, the guy at the local business, etc. who can't understand why you don't have a job still. Personally, I will find a GOOD job. For me it's a matter of when not if. But, it's still a very frustrating and difficult process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

As some of you know I write a blog for admin assistants and one of the articles I am working on is going to be about my experiences looking for a job and not finding anything, until I finally did get the job I have now.

As I read through these comments it reminds me of that time in my life. It is not easy and I don't want to be in that place again, but you can never say 'never'.

It is nice to know we can cheer each other on as we've been doing here. All the best to everyone. A job is just something waiting to happen to each of you...

Patricia

Sherry in Birmingham, Alabama

71 months ago

Well, I thought I was alone in this struggle to find a job being over 50. I'm glad I found this forum. I too don't look my age, keep my hair stylish, dress the professional part and have an impressive resume'. I have been job searching for six months and have spent hours applying online, filling out page after page of questions etc. I've gotten some great job interviews and felt really good about it, confident that they would call and make an offer. But, I must have failed at some point since here I am still looking.

I agree with the comment "deansuraci" made; "In terms of small businesses....some owners feel an older worker will use more in terms of medical coverage thus costing the small business even higher costs." I am positive that is the reason I lost my last job. My husband suffered two strokes within three months, I had to be off work a bit during this time but made it a point to cover my duties, worked lunches and over in the evenings. He was a dependent on my insurance and I know that it was very costly.

I too am frustrated. I do believe that the younger applicants are landing these jobs because they will work for less money. I am probably over qualified having been in the Admin field for over 30 years. I held an office management position for 10 years prior to the job I just lost. I have the experience and knowledge.

I'm keeping the faith that God will give me "THE JOB", not just A JOB. I pray you all get the job your hearts desire. The Bible says that if 2 or more agree then it will be done.

God Bless You All

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

I too pray that here will get the job their hearts desire.
Prayer changes things I do agree.
Patti

71 months ago

I have read each of your posts with interest and each of you have given me a lot to think about. I have never thought about age discrimination in the workplace, but as I get older I wonder? Today on my blog I wrote an article about job hunting called "On the Outside Looking In". I invite each of you to read it and hopefully there are some ideas you can use and encouragement as you keep looking.

secretaryhelpline.blogspot.com/2008/05/on-outside-looking-in.html

All the best to everyone,
Patricia

Bort in Pompano Beach, Florida

71 months ago

aww,
hang in there.

Best regards,
David
www.travellinesexpress.com
ebooks4life.blogspot.com

71 months ago

I have a question about salary. Didn't see a post so just thought I would continue in this one.

I do have a salary requirement but willing to go a little lower if I were to get an offer.

I dont like telling them what I made at my last job so I try to say something and let them know I'm negotiable. But they bug me sometimes and I end of telling them what I made.

Then they say we can only offer you this much $ and since its lower than you were making I dont think you would be happy.

Dah! How do they know I wont be happy. I need the money. Its lots more than unemployment. Well, I didnt say that outloud. :)

So how what to you say when someone ask you how much were you making or how much are you asking for?

also..not sure how my screen name says admin. tried to change it but it wouldnt let me so guess thats my name now. :)

71 months ago

When they ask me that I always ask them, "What are you offering?" and see where the conversation goes from there.

Patricia

71 months ago

What are you offering? That sounds good. I'll give it try next time. Thanks!

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois

71 months ago

When I feel discouraged, I often think about this woman I worked with a few years back. "Hilda" was on her own and 63 years old. She decided to leave the company we were working at and wanted to put down steaks so to speak starting over in Arizona. She took her 63 year old self along with her two cats, boarded a plane and and within a few months in Arizona landed another job, got an apartment, and built a new life for herself. (She wanted to go and avoid our winters) Even though my life is very different from hers, thinking about this gives me much encouragement.

LindaM in Barrington, Illinois

71 months ago

When I feel discouraged, I often think about this woman I worked with a few years back. "Hilda" was on her own and 63 years old. She decided to leave the company we were working at and wanted to put down steaks so to speak starting over in Arizona. She took her 63 year old self along with her two cats, boarded a plane and and within a few months in Arizona landed another job, got an apartment, and built a new life for herself. (She wanted to go and avoid our winters) Even though my life is very different from hers, thinking about this gives me much encouragement.

tee in Maple Shade, New Jersey

71 months ago

Well, I thought I was alone in this struggle to find a job being over 50. I'm glad I found this forum. I too don't look my age, keep my hair stylish, dress the professional part and have an impressive resume'. I have been job searching for six months and have spent hours applying online, filling out page after page of questions etc. I've gotten some great job interviews and felt really good about it, confident that they would call and make an offer. But, I must have failed at some point since here I am still looking.

I agree with the comment "deansuraci" made; "In terms of small businesses....some owners feel an older worker will use more in terms of medical coverage thus costing the small business even higher costs." I am positive that is the reason I lost my last job. My husband suffered two strokes within three months, I had to be off work a bit during this time but made it a point to cover my duties, worked lunches and over in the evenings. He was a dependent on my insurance and I know that it was very costly.

I too am frustrated. I do believe that the younger applicants are landing these jobs because they will work for less money. I am probably over qualified having been in the Admin field for over 30 years. I held an office management position for 10 years prior to the job I just lost. I have the experience and knowledge.

I'm keeping the faith that God will give me "THE JOB", not just A JOB. I pray you all get the job your hearts desire. The Bible says that if 2 or more agree then it will be done.

God Bless You All

Thanks for this message Sherry and god bless you too, i too am frustrated been looking for like 4 months now, some places may not hire because of the qualifications i have and may think i want this amount of money etc, some places want to hire you but with little pay that i cant afford living on my own, temp-to hire places looks like the only option right now, at least after a few months you will know if you have a permanent job.

Lori G. Russellville, TN in Kodak, Tennessee

71 months ago

on the computer.

Hi Patti. Yep that sounds just like me!
For the time being I am taking on any temp jobs. I landed one for new construction cleaning in a mall. my hours are 9pm to 5am. Not my better of jobs, but atleast it pays me a check. The people are nice, work is not bad at all. I am trying to get scholarships/grants for furthering my skills. The college will be online classes, and even the Director of Admissions is trying to help me. I took your advice, I am still fustrated, but being I took this assignment through AccuForce here locally, at the last minute, the supervisor said I will be one they will not forget. Sometimes I guess you got to bend little to get ahead. I am doing what I have to do now-But know in my heart GOD and my parents are watching over me. I pray for everyone that is in the same boat like me. Both of us are making money atleast to pay our bills. I love this forum and would not leave it, I am so glad I found it to.
I am going to start a journal Live at 50, to let everyone know that it is hard, but if you put your mind to it, think positive (after many of tears I have shed) things MAYBE will work out. For my Saturday the big 50 birthday, I colored my hair, not much white hairs, but - got rid of them, an look at least 5 years younger.
GOD bless us all. We are now the 50 club! :)
((((((((love & hugs to all, XXX OOOO))))))))))))
Lori Russellville, TN (Hamblen County)

71 months ago

Lori,

Happy Birthday!

I hear Tennessee is where alot of people are starting to move nowadays because of the affordable housing. I've even thought about it.

I am tired of the NY winters myself even though they aren't as harsh as they used to be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

71 months ago

Lori G. Russellville, TN in Kodak, Tennessee said: Hi Patti. Yep that sounds just like me!
For the time being I am taking on any temp jobs. I landed one for new construction cleaning in a mall. my hours are 9pm to 5am. Not my better of jobs, but atleast it pays me a check. The people are nice, work is not bad at all. I am trying to get scholarships/grants for furthering my skills. The college will be online classes, and even the Director of Admissions is trying to help me. I took your advice, I am still fustrated, but being I took this assignment through AccuForce here locally, at the last minute, the supervisor said I will be one they will not forget. Sometimes I guess you got to bend little to get ahead. I am doing what I have to do now-But know in my heart GOD and my parents are watching over me. I pray for everyone that is in the same boat like me. Both of us are making money atleast to pay our bills. I love this forum and would not leave it, I am so glad I found it to.
I am going to start a journal Live at 50, to let everyone know that it is hard, but if you put your mind to it, think positive (after many of tears I have shed) things MAYBE will work out. For my Saturday the big 50 birthday, I colored my hair, not much white hairs, but - got rid of them, an look at least 5 years younger.
GOD bless us all. We are now the 50 club! :)
((((((((love & hugs to all, XXX OOOO))))))))))))
Lori Russellville, TN (Hamblen County)

My life just started getting interesting at 50. You never know where you life will take you. Enjoy the ride...

God bless,

Patricia

Sherry in Birmingham, Alabama

71 months ago

Just a note to all you "50 somethings" still looking: I started a temp to hire job today, alot less than I was used to making and I got the job because of word of mouth (sometimes you gotta know someone).........a friend of mine works at this place and put in my name. This just goes to show that the more people you know the better chance you have at landing a job.

All the agencies I have been to have just given me false hope, they call and say "I thought I would run this by you to see if you are interested and I would like to send over your resume'". Of course you get all excited and say "yes"! Guess what......they never call you back and tell you that you have an interview. That's really cruel in my book.

This job is not exactly the one I wanted but at least I have a job for now. I have to give God the praise too.........it was right after I prayed that I got the call. So don't give up guys, pray and believe. May God Bless each of you with a job and soon!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.