Help! Can't keep a job

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Moonpie

66 months ago

Employers see admins as disposable in this economy. if you are not 100% company sheep, be prepared for layoff. I haven't figured out the secret - if I keep my head down, constantly working, I am replaced by the social butterfly having long lunches with the boss. If I divulge personal information, it comes back to bite me in the butt.

Arriving early/staying late is just a given with things so tight. Maybe there are some good employers left, but most will replace you rather than pay benefits or raises. I've gone back down to entry-level jobs in order to have any income at all, and those come with revolving doors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Michelle in Charlotte, North Carolina

65 months ago

Keep opinions to yourself unless they ask for your opinion. Nobody cares about the temp except will they do what we need. Show up 10 minutes early every day. Be coridal and say hello to people if they speak to you. Being overly friendly may be a turnoff, since you are just the temp. Sorry not trying to be mean, but if you need the paycheck just go with the flow, keep your eyes and ears open and observe what other people are behaving towards each other. If you are outspoken about how great your computer skills are, some of the other employees might view that as a threat. If you need to use your great computer skills to get the job done that they ask you to, then of course utilize your computer skills. Hope this is helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

love in Amherst, Virginia

64 months ago

I read these comments and they did seem to help me to understand a little better, in reality this is a new generation I have been working for 44 years and had always kept my job, but recently I've only been able to stay on the job for a year and a half, also does age play a part in keeping your job. I do understand that you must be careful of what you say and how you react to people,everyone does not have a heart, I need a job now and I beleive that I will receive,my faith is strong, and I am seeking, searching, knocking and the door will open. Thank you for the good advice.

Moonpie

63 months ago

June has a good point about age - companies that eventually offer insurance may see older workers as more expensive to insure. At my last job, the boss made a point of telling anyone who would listen that I was five years older than she is.

Shortly before the 90 day probation period was up, I was told my services were no longer needed. This has happened to me three times. My work is great, skills are top-notch, except for typing speed, due to arthritis setting in.

Pecanpie in Hartford, Connecticut

58 months ago

Michelle in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Keep opinions to yourself unless they ask for your opinion. Nobody cares about the temp except will they do what we need. Show up 10 minutes early every day. Be coridal and say hello to people if they speak to you. Being overly friendly may be a turnoff, since you are just the temp. Sorry not trying to be mean, but if you need the paycheck just go with the flow, keep your eyes and ears open and observe what other people are behaving towards each other. If you are outspoken about how great your computer skills are, some of the other employees might view that as a threat. If you need to use your great computer skills to get the job done that they ask you to, then of course utilize your computer skills. Hope this is helpful.

Definitely agree with you. Temp. employees performing better on the job than the permanent staff doesn't bode well for job stability. Do your job, don't complain and keep your comments and recommendations to yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.