Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 66 of 66)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

HopefulOne in Bloomsbury, New Jersey

54 months ago

Cindi Saucedo in Marlin, Texas said: I have an interview this week for administrative Assistant II (Driver Licence Examiner) with the TX Department of Transportation, I am a little nervous just by the title because all my titles have been clerk. Is this just another name for a clerk and do anyone knows what type of questions are asked in the interview.

Cindi,

I think AA's typically do a bit more along the lines of preparing expense reports, booking trips, etc., while clerk (in my mind anyway) would mean more of a straight typing job.

Did they list what your duties would be? And depending on the system in use at the company (or in your case, the state government), the "II" after the "AA" could mean a higher-level AA job. Or could be a lower level, again, depending on how the company/government entity sets that up. I think it's a skill set and experience thing.

As for questions, try here: blog.hrinmotion.com/2009/05/15/executive-assistant-adminstrative-assistant-administrative-support-job-interview-questions/

(And, no, that's not my blog that I'm pushing. ;-))

I just went on a job interview today, the first one in a while, and it was nerve wracking. The person interviewing me had the decency to point out my slip ups and problems. Fortunately,he wouldn't be the one I would be working for, but I did well enough that he wants to schedule me for a third and final interview with one of the bosses I'd be working for.

Good luck to you and everyone looking for a job! :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Camden, New Jersey

54 months ago

Valerie said: I'll answer the question. Administrative Assistant jobs are everywhere. There are lousy AA jobs and there are great AA jobs. If you have a great track record, top skills and a degree you can go for the top AA jobs working with top people - these are the best. Top admins are skilled in using the latest technology, have excellent computer skills, have the ability to interact well with people at all levels of an organization (especially executives). The best assistants will do everything from photocopying to representing their boss in a meeting - they are dependable, trustworthy and accountable in every aspect and are dedicated to "Getting The Job Done." You have to show that you can handle a multitude of tasks and can prioritize. You must be able to take initiative and make decisions. You should always be able to maintain yourself as competent and level-headed in a crisis. You should exude confidence, intelligence and make your boss feel at ease that you are on her team. The worst Admin jobs are the ones where you support people who can't focus on the matters at hand (as in answering your question). Everyone makes mistakes. The best learn and move forward. Losers dwell on them. Avoid Admin positions where there is a tendency to work with negative people - you will be supporting whiny, complaining and bickering losers. Too many admins are supporting too many jerks everyday who are not worth supporting. You will not learn from them and your career will not advance with them. A career as an Assistant can be rewarding only if you are the best and work with the best. Good Luck!

Valerie,
Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

lwing01 in Cabot, Arkansas

54 months ago

I recently interviewed for a state job as an Administrative Assistant and was turned down for the position. I believe it was because of some of my answers to a lengthy oral exam I was given. There are a couple of questions that stuck out in my mind that were so vague, that I had no idea how to answer confidently. One was, how would you research and prepare reports to submit to management? I honestly didn't know what would be the kind of answer they were looking for on the other one, which was, what type of conflict could arise with a co-worker and how would you handle it? I am just curious as to how these should be answered successfully.

lwing01 in Cabot, Arkansas

54 months ago

The other question was, what type of filing system would you create for correspodence and faxes? Please help!

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

54 months ago

I would create a filing system for faxes in this way: File your more recent incoming faxes first by date, this will make it easier to find a file. For correspondence, depending if it's numerical or alphabetical, file it in numerical order and alphabetical order. This is a conventional way of doing it. Always make sure you put your files where you can have easy access to them, so this way when someone asks you where is a file, you'll be able to find it quickly. Organization is the key!

Peanut in New York, New York

52 months ago

Why would you accept an administrative assistant position when you have executive administrative assistant skills. This question was asked to me by a recruiter. I basically wanted to say because I need a job but he was looking for another answer and I did not know how to answerI will him. I am willing to take a pay cut but he thinks I will jet as soon as the 1st opportunity comes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Office Queen in West Palm Beach, Florida

52 months ago

Ladies and Gentlemen, just for your information, the Unemployment extension is not for everybody, if you have exhausted all of your benefits, you will not be getting anymore extensions. This is only for those that are currently receiving benefits. I think it's ashame, since their are still alot of people without work or income like myself. Keep applying for jobs, go to job fairs. Do not give up, keep the faith, God will bless you for your efforts. I wish everybody the best. Take care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jacques in Geneva, Switzerland

49 months ago

Iam a male administrative assistant, I have been looking for office work for about 2 years, but Iam only getting negative answers. I have workded for multiple companies as an administrative assistant on short-term contracts and I also done other jobs such as security agent or call center. Some employers see those jobs changes as a negative thing, I see it as something positive, because I can work with a wide range of people from different backgrounds and I am very much polyvalent. My biggest worry these days is that maybe that administrative work is more for females than males?

miche in Pasadena, California

48 months ago

oh my goodness, i am disgusted in many of the responses to the initial question. Those of you who appear to think your superior. We are all in a state of flux right now and everyone who is working is one check away from homelessness. Try being a bit more compassionate w/others. you would be surprised at how far it will go just to pay it forward. It is people such as yourself that make the world just an awful place.

I hope that your question was answered by many people who had the goodness of heart to respond in an informative manner. Just hold steadfast and know that it is "done unto you as you believe". Get that in your heart, something will come along. good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anyone in Scarborough, Ontario

47 months ago

Erica Gonzales in Los Angeles, California said: Hello I was really intrested in this job, I don't have any kinf of experience in this field but I am willing to learn. The reason why I am applying is because it would be a good oppotunity to grow and advanec. I don't want to settle for a minimum wage job.

You should know your spelling if you want to become an Admin Assistant

sam in Los Angeles, California

47 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming administrative assistant interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

snipsly.com/2010/07/30/interviewing-tips-that-will-land-you-the-job/ has some nice tips.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

lwing01 in Cabot, Arkansas said: I recently interviewed for a state job as an Administrative Assistant and was turned down for the position. I believe it was because of some of my answers to a lengthy oral exam I was given. There are a couple of questions that stuck out in my mind that were so vague, that I had no idea how to answer confidently. One was, how would you research and prepare reports to submit to management? I honestly didn't know what would be the kind of answer they were looking for on the other one, which was, what type of conflict could arise with a co-worker and how would you handle it? I am just curious as to how these should be answered successfully.

I was an Administrative Assistant for years when I realized what a gyp it was and went back to college for a healthcare degree. These companies are looking to get something for nothing--a lower level manager that they can underpay, overwork and kick around. The only fair shake you will get is if you work for government or a smaller office. You don't have a Bachelor's Degree yet they want you to prepare reports for mangement? Believe me, it's not you, it's them. They are trying to get steak while paying for hamberger and the "Administrative Assistant" is the perfect answer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

43 months ago

jamaha in Antioch, Tennessee said: Good luck in an interview! I've been looking for a year now. I've sent out over 110 resumes and had about 15 interviews. Lots of discrimination out there because of age. Several jobs went to 20 somethings with less than half my qualifications! The worst part is that you can never get any feedback to try to figure if you are doing or saying or doing something wrong. I've had all kinds of promises made to me, then I never hear from them again. I get the runaround if I try to contact them. The only response I have ever gotten is " we went in another direction" or "sorry, we chose someone else." I'm going to be kicked out of my home in 3 weeks. But I can't support myself on fast food pay! It's really frustrating!

I was an Administrative Assistant for years until I realized how corporations rip AA's off and went back to college for different employment. Companies discriminate because of age and appearance (i.e., weight, hair, etc.) What AA's need to do is file a complaint with the EEO each and every time they are NOT hired for the position. This will at least force the corporations not to act like animals and give you the courtesy of a reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bluehydrangea70 in Fall River, Massachusetts

38 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming administrative assistant interview?

There are so many questions that are asked. I go to the library and get books on interview techniques. It's VERY helpful! Here's a few of the tough ones:
1. Where do you want to be in 5 years?
2. Why should I hire you?
3. Tell me about yourself.
4. Tell me about your skills.
5. What did you like and dislike about your last/current job?

Good luck!!

CLopez in Clifton, New Jersey

38 months ago

Are you able to take responsibility for implementing a Project? Can you describe yourself in 5 words?

deanna in Austin, Texas

37 months ago

1. How do you manage time?
2. Describe how you use Outlook
3. Tell me about yourself
4. How do you handle stressful situations
5. Why are you the best candidate?

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.