Interview Process

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (24)

Unemployed Admin in Skokie, Illinois

57 months ago

I have been on an interview in October for a position close to home. Initially they told me that they had 2 other candidates and would be making a decision next week. When the next week came they were still seeking more candidtate to interview. I held off on calling them because I knew they would interview more candidates. When I did call them, they told me that the position still have not been filed and that they had an interview that day. They changed the position around a little and still are going through the resumes that they received, and have not made a decision yet. It has now been over a month since I interviewed, are they really going to hire anyone? If they are getting by without filing that position will they try to squeeze more out of exisiting workers as long as they can, or are they waiting for more business till they really get into a bind? Why do they drag the process on? Don't know where they got all the resumes from as they never advertised on the major boards. It was posted in a local church bulletin in Sept & October.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SGB in Mount Prospect, Illinois

57 months ago

I saw you are from Illinois and just want to write couple sentences too, mostly to complain, not to help you. During last couple mounts I experienced the same attitude and may say that I hate all this staffing agencies. I am sick and tired of them and can’t believe that I have to deal with lower qualified people than me and the worse think is that they have to select us. Do you know or anybody knows place that we can report their behavior, unprofessional attitude and the way how they joke with people. This is ridicules. I saw so negative opinions here in the forums around and pretty much all of us experienced same-un loyalty. I would call them lairs, and if some of them read this I want to tell them that they also can come on our site everything is possible in the life and how they will fill if someone gave them same attitude like their current?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barboo in Chicago, Illinois

57 months ago

I agree with the staffing agencies. They tell you they have a job, make you come in and fill out the application and take tests on typing and MS Office software, and talk to you for 5 minutes going over your past jobs. All they want is CONTACT INFORMATION so they have a name and number to call and try to convince them they can find top qualified candidates. Did you know they charge about 20% of your annual salary to the client if they place you in a full time position? Thousands of dollars! If I were an employer I could post a job on Craigslist for $25 and get many qualified candidates myself. I just ask myself how these agencies stay in business. They must only survive on temps. They charge a client $20 and hour and pay a worker about $10 PER HOUR WORKED. Think if you work several months how much that is!!! Yes they have to pay payroll taxes, but they give you NO benefits, you don't work Thanksgiving Day you don't get paid, even if all the workers in that company get the holiday you get nothing. I worked at a company as s temp, and when the office had events and parties I was not allowed as I was not an EMPLOYEE. I don't know if the labor board would do anything about them. I am sure that they had complaints already, based on what I see on boards such as this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

You are lucky you were not allowed to parties only, but let me tell you what they did with me- always for holydays the company calls me for overtime because they know that won’t pay me this like over time.
The staffing agencies probably have a "new fashion", because when they call me they wants me to fill also W-4 forms for the taxes. On the top of them says: To be fill only you hire the candidate". But wants me to fill the form without hiring you. Is this accroding the law? Is anybody knows where we can report them? I have a lot examples-Manpower, Snelling, Express Profesional, Aeroteck,Crown Services, Account Resources.......Can we report them somewhere in unemployment department?Is anybody know?

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky

57 months ago

Unemployed Admin in Skokie, Illinois said: I have been on an interview in October for a position close to home. Initially they told me that they had 2 other candidates and would be making a decision next week. When the next week came they were still seeking more candidtate to interview. I held off on calling them because I knew they would interview more candidates. When I did call them, they told me that the position still have not been filed and that they had an interview that day. They changed the position around a little and still are going through the resumes that they received, and have not made a decision yet. It has now been over a month since I interviewed, are they really going to hire anyone? If they are getting by without filing that position will they try to squeeze more out of exisiting workers as long as they can, or are they waiting for more business till they really get into a bind? Why do they drag the process on? Don't know where they got all the resumes from as they never advertised on the major boards. It was posted in a local church bulletin in Sept & October.

Unfortunately the company just does not feel they have a good applicant yet. If you are not hired with in a couple of weeks, that usually means you are not write for them. They won't tell you they have selected someone else simply because they haven't and they don't know who you might know that would keep u updated on this information so they simply say they are still interviewing.

57 months ago

SGB in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: You are lucky you were not allowed to parties only, but let me tell you what they did with me- always for holydays the company calls me for overtime because they know that won’t pay me this like over time.
The staffing agencies probably have a "new fashion", because when they call me they wants me to fill also W-4 forms for the taxes. On the top of them says: To be fill only you hire the candidate". But wants me to fill the form without hiring you. Is this accroding the law? Is anybody knows where we can report them? I have a lot examples-Manpower, Snelling, Express Profesional, Aeroteck,Crown Services, Account Resources.......Can we report them somewhere in unemployment department?Is anybody know?

First off, let me say before someone get's their panties in a bunch, that I am not taking up for agencies or disagreeing with anyone but only shedding some light. OK....I work for three different agencies all three are STAFFING AGENCIES ,they simple supplement the work force, (call off's, vacations, turn overs) then there are Temp agencies, they are temp to hire or place you for a particular assignment short term. Don't confuse the 2, there are some differences and similarities too. Sounds like you are speaking of Temp to hire, companies hire them to find workers for them, this frees the company for having to recruit,interview, investigate and in most cases train. These agencies are paid a large fee to perform this task. They hire you and are paid a fee just for hiring you, then they charge a wage to the employer and each day you work they receive a fee in which they pay you a portion of. The company does not have to do the leg work, yet have the opportunity to try you out. If you are right for them, they hire you and give the agency a large bonus for each employee they hire. You get no benefits, job security, nothing as long as you are a temp. This is the TEMP AGENCIES business. They make their CONTINUED

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: First off, let me say before someone get's their panties in a bunch, that I am not taking up for agencies or disagreeing with anyone but only shedding some light. OK....I work for three different agencies all three are STAFFING AGENCIES ,they simple supplement the work force, (call off's, vacations, turn overs) then there are Temp agencies, they are temp to hire or place you for a particular assignment short term. Don't confuse the 2, there are some differences and similarities too. Sounds like you are speaking of Temp to hire, companies hire them to find workers for them, this frees the company for having to recruit,interview, investigate and in most cases train. These agencies are paid a large fee to perform this task. They hire you and are paid a fee just for hiring you, then they charge a wage to the employer and each day you work they receive a fee in which they pay you a portion of. The company does not have to do the leg work, yet have the opportunity to try you out. If you are right for them, they hire you and give the agency a large bonus for each employee they hire. You get no benefits, job security, nothing as long as you are a temp. This is the TEMP AGENCIES business. They make their CONTINUED

money by working for the company. I can't speak for the way they speak to you. But, should you be upset with the Agency or upset with the business that goes this route. Do you realize how much time and money the employer saves by not searching for employees and not paying benefits. The only way agencies get paid is if they have a mass number of employees working through them for these businesses. A STAFFING AGENCY is similar in that, they go out to employers and set up a contact, when a business is short on help, could be 4 hrs, a full day week or 6 weeks, they call they agency. The agency has staff already hired and on their roster. The agency then calls their staff one by one to staff CONT

57 months ago

the companies need. The company pays a wage to the Agency for the workers shift and the agency pays you a portion. The agency does NOT allow you to be hired, they are not for filling positions but for supplementing the work force temporarily. If an employee wants to hire Agency staff they must get the permission of the Agency and pay a large fee of 5000-10,000, if you choose on ur own to be hired you may have to pay this fee out of pocket. After 6 months u can go back and be hired by the employer. Some STAFFING AGENCIES do provide, uniforms, shoes, bonus,and at least reimbursement for insurance. STAFFING AGENCIES do not require you to work any number of hours daily or weekly and on the down side, can't offer you a set amount of hours. You are paid a much higher wage than those you work with and can receive 65-100 of your pay DAILY. You are always their employee as long as YOU choose to be no matter how many hours you work (unless fired for a cause). Don't put so much blame on the AGENCIES I think the business is wrong for choosing this route. I have worked for three years STAFF AGENCY and love it. I work pretty much when I want and take off when I want (no questions asked) I am a LPN and make good money doing this, my fiancee is able to carry me on his insurance. I can use the agency as a full time job or just to supplement my income and work another full or part time job. If you are a good worker and flexible, meet the staff at each facility and make ur self available you can make darn good money working for a STAFFING AGENCY. A temp service on the other hand will must generally pay you less than the regular employee and make you commit to an unknown period of time. A temp to hire will do the same but at least the company is trying you out first to see if you are a good fit for a open position. Long...but hope it sheds some light.

Mary Beth in Berkeley, Illinois

57 months ago

You are in a field that is different than mine. In the nursing field things may be different. Skilled nurses are in demand and they may have the pay more to get you. In the admin field there are more of us around and agencies can be picky as some are soo desperate they will work for $8-10 per hour. I have registered with a few of they, and I have not had a single offer for anything from any of them. Sure they post "jobs" on Careerbuilder or Monster, I apply and never hear anything, because some of them are not jobs, they are just trying to get people into their office. I have seen an ad that gets reposted occasionally and it is worded the same way, the same salary range. No, I don't apply to that ad. Of the agencies that I did go into, they all ask me if I want to work temp. I applied to an ad for a FULL TIME, why don't they just submit me for what I applied to, because it does not exist. On the phone they tell me about a job, and when I get there they just want to talk about my history. When she asked me if I had any questions, shortly before the end of the "interview" I asked her what about the job we talked about on the phone? Oh yea.. I first have to do a background check on you, and if you pass I will submit you. That costs money, and that is only done when they are serious about hiring you and they interview you and you are a strong candidate.

57 months ago

Mary Beth in Berkeley, Illinois said: You are in a field that is different than mine. In the nursing field things may be different. Skilled nurses are in demand and they may have the pay more to get you. In the admin field there are more of us around and agencies can be picky as some are soo desperate they will work for $8-10 per hour. I have registered with a few of they, and I have not had a single offer for anything from any of them. Sure they post "jobs" on Careerbuilder or Monster, I apply and never hear anything, because some of them are not jobs, they are just trying to get people into their office. I have seen an ad that gets reposted occasionally and it is worded the same way, the same salary range. No, I don't apply to that ad. Of the agencies that I did go into, they all ask me if I want to work temp. I applied to an ad for a FULL TIME, why don't they just submit me for what I applied to, because it does not exist. On the phone they tell me about a job, and when I get there they just want to talk about my history. When she asked me if I had any questions, shortly before the end of the "interview" I asked her what about the job we talked about on the phone? Oh yea.. I first have to do a background check on you, and if you pass I will submit you. That costs money, and that is only done when they are serious about hiring you and they interview you and you are a strong candidate.

First of all we the people have to take our part of the blame. If I walk into a interview and they offer me little pay..I laugh at them and tell them I would not even consider it. Same as with purchasing items, if I think it's too high..I don't buy it. I tried to explain there is a difference with "AGENCIES". You are going to TEMP agencies. Try a STAFFING agency. You are right though, all agencies will post "FULL" time work because they have to keep a large working pool. There is full time work, just maybe not at that particular moment and not for all

57 months ago

of thee employees. A background check can cost as little as 10-22 dollars and a brief one is done in 24-48 hours. They may ask if you would like to work as a TEMP but a Temp worker does have the potential to work just as many hours if not more than a full time worker. Sure you won't get benefits but hey at least you can make a paycheck. Save a little each week to pay for a doctors visit. Temp services want to hire the best just like any other employer, of course they want to interview and you should be a strong candidate!. What, do you think because it is Agency you should be able to walk in and be hired simply because they advertised and you applied. Sorry if I sound so cold, but I like to be point blank. Too many people want to blame everyone and every thing on someone else. One more thing, don't rely on job post, sometimes they are older than you. Hit the pavement and find work, it's the only way to go, or get job post directly from a company and apply. By the time you read career builder that job has been filled.

Mary Beth in Berkeley, Illinois

57 months ago

If you called in several candidates for an interview would you do a background check on all of them BEFORE the interview? No, you would only do it for the ones that you would most likely hire and not the others that may not even be interested in the job after going on that interview. Can you explain what you mean by "hit the pavement"?

57 months ago

Ok on what than we have to rely if not on job post? The company that post jobs are not many or their postings are for managers ot Sr. Where the rest of the people have to "rely"? I always been loyal with my emplyoers, but now i am thinking serious should i continue to be, or i have to play same game like the agnecy which will send me for $10 somewhere. For my short working expirience i found out that nobody can fire you because you late, or you are lazy, or you are not good worker. I saw this on soo many places and pretty much nobody cares. We just have to be patience while figthing with bunch agency idiots and once we get a job to play theur game with both of them-agency and company.

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

Mary1Nurse is NOT a nurse - just someone who gave himself a spiffy title.

57 months ago

Mary Beth in Berkeley, Illinois said: If you called in several candidates for an interview would you do a background check on all of them BEFORE the interview? No, you would only do it for the ones that you would most likely hire and not the others that may not even be interested in the job after going on that interview. Can you explain what you mean by "hit the pavement"?

Your right, no I wouldn't do a background check on all of them, only the candidate I offered the job to, or the one I intended to extend a offer to. So what is your point? What I meant by hit the pavement is " Have a written resume, dress nicely, research a company and get out of your home and go directly to the employers. I understand this is what you did by going to the agency. But the point was, don't rely on the job postings, not even on the internet, often times these postings are out dated. A company can summit a job posting on line to one internet site and 20 others can eventually pick up that posting. The site may say NEW or posted yesterday, that may be when they posted it but the original could have been sent out 2 months ago. I understand not all employers take applications on site but for the ones that will, it is better to go directly to the company to apply, don't apply online or send a resume and always ask if you can see the person who may be hiring. You have to try to get an edge on others, do you realize how many resumes come in daily. As for ANGENCY, they do want you to come in, they want simply to add your name to the work pool so when work is available there is someone ready to fill that slot. It can work for you if you make yourself available and are a good worker, employees call agencies and ask for you by name if you have proven yourself.

57 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Mary1Nurse is NOT a nurse - just someone who gave himself a spiffy title.

Mary in Tampa is upset because she got exposed for changing her identity and causing problems on several sites. MARY1NURSE is in fact a real nurse, I am a nurse that works for several STAFFING AGENCIES and do PRN work at LONG TERM AND REHAB CENTERS. So I have several different employers. I may sound a bit bold and cold, but I am outspoken,honest and to the point. I really do try to help others with school and employment. But I try to get them to be realistic and work on themselves not bash others whether it be employers, the government, their families, or whom ever. Don't get startd with Mary in Tampa, she goes from site to site causing trouble and she signs in under different names.

57 months ago

SGB in Mount Prospect, Illinois said: Ok on what than we have to rely if not on job post? The company that post jobs are not many or their postings are for managers ot Sr. Where the rest of the people have to "rely"? I always been loyal with my emplyoers, but now i am thinking serious should i continue to be, or i have to play same game like the agnecy which will send me for $10 somewhere. For my short working expirience i found out that nobody can fire you because you late, or you are lazy, or you are not good worker. I saw this on soo many places and pretty much nobody cares. We just have to be patience while figthing with bunch agency idiots and once we get a job to play theur game with both of them-agency and company.

Sorry but your post is kind of hard to follow. If you read my last post, it is giving you some insight about job post, if you are seriously looking for work and you go on the internet on several sites, you will see some of the same job post, unfornuately you have no way of knowing which one actually received that posting first and which site (borrowed it and posted it days later)the early bird gets the worm remember. I am not saying to never look at job postings or never apply online, just be mind full that it may be outdated. Also, companies often hire from within and simply go though the motions of posting a job, the position is often filled before it was even posted. Get out and go to the companies to look for work don't just rely on resumes and postings. Don't blame the companies because they advertise for managers or seniors if that's what they want they have that right! What do you mean no one can fire you because you are late or lazy (are you serious or was that a typo?) Yes, you must have a very short work history, actually you can be fired for pretty much any reason. Several states have a at will policy which means they can let you go for any number of reasons. The agencies send you to jobs making ten dollars an hour

57 months ago

Mary 1Nurse in Louisville, Kentucky said: Mary in Tampa is upset because she got exposed for changing her identity and causing problems on several sites. MARY1NURSE is in fact a real nurse, I am a nurse that works for several STAFFING AGENCIES and do PRN work at LONG TERM AND REHAB CENTERS. So I have several different employers. I may sound a bit bold and cold, but I am outspoken,honest and to the point. I really do try to help others with school and employment. But I try to get them to be realistic and work on themselves not bash others whether it be employers, the government, their families, or whom ever. Don't get startd with Mary in Tampa, she goes from site to site causing trouble and she signs in under different names.

WOW. That's the first I have heard of that one. I have always been Mary in Tampa. I have never gone from site to site causing trouble. I do not sign in under different names.

Where did that information come from? Up until about an hour ago, I had never even seen any of your posts before. And I have been here since April of 2008.

57 months ago

because you accept that pay. Just like if you go to work at Wallmart, they may pay you 10 an hour, that is just what they pay, it is the going rate for the work you are doing. You usually earn pay according to your worth, an employer is not concerned with your bills, or personal situation they set a rate and that's what you get. I know life is not fair and wages are too low. I understand all of this. But, we have to so our part too. Sir your communication skills or not the best and you stated yourself that you have a short work history. The best will get the best jobs, just strive to improve your skills and gain as much experience as you can, even if you have to do a little volunteering.

57 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: WOW. That's the first I have heard of that one. I have always been Mary in Tampa. I have never gone from site to site causing trouble. I do not sign in under different names.

Where did that information come from? Up until about an hour ago, I had never even seen any of your posts before. And I have been here since April of 2008.

If you have never seen any of my post up until about an hour ago. Tell me, tell every one, WHY WOULD YOU COME ON AND SAY MARY 1 NURSE IS NOT A NURSE SHE JUST GAVE HERSELF A SPIFFY TITLE? I CAN CLAIM TO BE A MILLION AND ONE THINGS...WHY A NURSE? gIRL YOU HAVE ISSUES.

57 months ago

No, I don't have issues. Today you seem to be hitting different forums and giving opinions which are rather arrogant. I'm inclined to think you are one of those posters who had been hitting the forums and making nasty remarks. Several of those posters have been banned. So happens one of my sisters is an RN. And you don't come across to me as being a nurse.

I am hitting the different forums because I was a court reporter for ten years, a legal assistant for twenty years, and I have three college degrees (one a BS in Business Administration). That is why I hit the other forums.

Wherever you got the idea I changed my name, I am going around from forum to forum causing trouble, and have been booted off - do you have anything to base that on? Or are those just your statements?

A few of the things you have said I have agreed with - but you have made some really arrogant comments to me. Whatever. We seem to have some friction between us. So --- toodles. This will be the last communication I made with you. Feel free to have the last word.

Vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida

56 months ago

Does anyone have any advise for anyone looking to get into court reporting?

56 months ago

I do. Go to www.csrnation.com. I have made a few comments about court reporting here, with suggestions, so you can check my name or go to the legal assitant forums and look for my name.

A good idea would be to go to www.csrnation.com.

Vintage_lover in Boca Raton, Florida

56 months ago

Thanks so much, I am on there. I will look for you and send you a friend request. Read your advice, etc! Thank you..

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.