Is an "at will" company fair?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

ValD in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

I use to love what I was doing, but situations at my job caused me to feel other wise. I am unemployed right now, but it is a blessing in disguise what happened to me. I desire to pursue my own business, but in the meantime, I am not excited about working again for a company that you put all your time and energy, and then suddenly your employer decides to stir up drama. Unfortunately, I live in a "at will" state, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous. Employers takes this situation, and uses it to their advantage for not having a reason to fire you. There should be a law against this so called "at will" Even though, you put a lot of hard work and perhaps years in your job, it doesn't matter, because your boss can one day get tired of looking at you, and let you go? It goes the other way, but if the employee decides to leave without reason, then that should be o.k. Yes, I know if you just decided to leave immediately, and not give enough notice then it does not look good on your file. Of course, you will have to be professional about it depending on your situation. Does employees have any rights or justice anymore? These jobs are definitely not stable, and you have to be walking on "egg shells" every day you go to work. Is that not stressful or what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Greeley, Colorado

46 months ago

ValD in Los Angeles, California said: I use to love what I was doing, but situations at my job caused me to feel other wise. I am unemployed right now, but it is a blessing in disguise what happened to me. I desire to pursue my own business, but in the meantime, I am not excited about working again for a company that you put all your time and energy, and then suddenly your employer decides to stir up drama. Unfortunately, I live in a "at will" state, and I think it is absolutely ridiculous. Employers takes this situation, and uses it to their advantage for not having a reason to fire you. There should be a law against this so called "at will" Even though, you put a lot of hard work and perhaps years in your job, it doesn't matter, because your boss can one day get tired of looking at you, and let you go? It goes the other way, but if the employee decides to leave without reason, then that should be o.k. Yes, I know if you just decided to leave immediately, and not give enough notice then it does not look good on your file. Of course, you will have to be professional about it depending on your situation. Does employees have any rights or justice anymore? These jobs are definitely not stable, and you have to be walking on "egg shells" every day you go to work. Is that not stressful or what?

Yes the same thing happened to me, and know I can not find a job, but I am not as stressed.I had to leave the compay after ten years.Yuck,I had an excellent work record, but stress!!!What a bad, bad company, shame on you!they harassed me all the time.I should file a law suite.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.