Looking for a job in Healthcare Administration

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Tierra in San Diego, California

38 months ago

I am currently going to school for my Bachelor's in Healthcare Administration. I have no experience in Administration work but I am a fast learner. I have been looking for work but every company I apply for you have to have experience. Does anyone have any suggestions as to go about this? It is real frustrating trying to find a job with no experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bailey in Decatur, Georgia

38 months ago

It is very hard. I have my Master's in Health Administration w/over 7 years experience in the healthcare industry and I'm still finding it difficult to move up. I have worked for health insurance companies and hospitals and I will tell you that the hospital environment is VERY political. It's not what you know--it's who you know. The insurance companies are more flexible but they tend to restructure (a.k.a lay-off) a lot so many positions have been eliminated or outsourced. My advice to you would be to NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK!
With so many people flocking to the Healthcare industry now, jobs are scarce. Also, this industry (like many others) does not give much weight to degrees because nowadays more & more people have them.

Best of luck to you and don't get discouraged!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rafael in Stockton, California

10 months ago

Bailey in Decatur, Georgia said: It is very hard. I have my Master's in Health Administration w/over 7 years experience in the healthcare industry and I'm still finding it difficult to move up. I have worked for health insurance companies and hospitals and I will tell you that the hospital environment is VERY political. It's not what you know--it's who you know. The insurance companies are more flexible but they tend to restructure (a.k.a lay-off) a lot so many positions have been eliminated or outsourced. My advice to you would be to NETWORK NETWORK NETWORK!
With so many people flocking to the Healthcare industry now, jobs are scarce. Also, this industry (like many others) does not give much weight to degrees because nowadays more & more people have them.

Best of luck to you and don't get discouraged!!

Hello I realize this thread is over 2 years old but I figured I'd give it a shot. I am also working on my Bachelor's degree and recently switched majors to Healthcare Administration. Over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of research on the job opportunities in this field and what I have found is somewhat discouraging.
I've looked into entry level positions and ways of moving up the ladder with only a Bachelor's degree in Healthcare Admin and no work experience(I do not plan on going to grad school by the way) and so far it sounds damn near impossible to enter the field in my situation. It seems that those with the best chances must have a Master's degree along with an internship and/or past work experience.
Also, I have repeadetly read that this degree is more tailored towards current RN's and other Allied Health profesionals who seek to move up into management roles, and that those like me without work experience in a health/medical environment will have a very low chance of getting our foot in the door in this profession.
Is this really the case?
Would I be wasting my time and money on this Bachelor's degree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jb in Miami, Florida

9 months ago

Rafael in Stockton, California said: Hello I realize this thread is over 2 years old but I figured I'd give it a shot. I am also working on my Bachelor's degree and recently switched majors to Healthcare Administration. Over the last few weeks I've been doing a lot of research on the job opportunities in this field and what I have found is somewhat discouraging.
I've looked into entry level positions and ways of moving up the ladder with only a Bachelor's degree in Healthcare Admin and no work experience(I do not plan on going to grad school by the way) and so far it sounds damn near impossible to enter the field in my situation. It seems that those with the best chances must have a Master's degree along with an internship and/or past work experience.
Also, I have repeadetly read that this degree is more tailored towards current RN's and other Allied Health profesionals who seek to move up into management roles, and that those like me without work experience in a health/medical environment will have a very low chance of getting our foot in the door in this profession.
Is this really the case?
Would I be wasting my time and money on this Bachelor's degree?

Honestly, if you are trying to be a administrator in a healthcare system, a master's degree is almost always needed to be considered, unless you put in years with a company. So get some experience, find a company that will pay for your master's and keep working up the corporate ladder.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AJAJ in South Lyon, Michigan

8 months ago

Hello all, I feel your pain I have a Masters degree in Health care administration with a double minor in HR and Project Management. Its very difficult and limiting to achieve a administrative or even executive level position in health care if you are not an RN or clinical professional. If you chose to only do the administrative end of the health care spectrum you will run into limitations and road blocks (trust me I know) ive worked in the health system for over 10 years as and admin asst. and that is as far as this degree will take me in any health systems within a 100 mile radius of my home. Its challenging that you have an abundant amount of knowledge as it relates to the business of health care but - they would much rather give the position to a associates degree RN who knows nothing about CMS scores, Reimbursements, Quality control, HR, Special projects and the list goes on. Yet, those that they place in those roles will use the hell out of an admin with the experience and education related to get there job done. While the admin sits back in idle and lets them take all the credit.? Its hard - I have been very creative with how I will use my MSHA degree. Since I had the opportunity to gain experience in the realm of HR and Project management I have tackled many other opportunities outside of the health system which is still a great challenge to find in this economy.

But please note that if you have no clinical background you will be faced with road blocks etc. etc. and the best job they will give you is and executive assistant position at the cost of 30K a year or less. Its very difficult. Hang in there and reconsider what your real speciality will be. In the world of IT working in health care IT would be of anyones advantage -- I wish that I had thought of that sooner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lol dont in Los Angeles, California

8 months ago

I have a bachelors degree in health science/public health and I'm currently working for one of the major counties in California. I have to warn you all, anyone in health care administration are usually RNs who are getting older and moved up to administrative side. The hospitals tend to hire folks who already are licensed professionals which saves them money. Unless you have licensing, you aren't going to be picked out of the lot. And with the current trend of converting all health care records into electronic format, I'm pretty sure there's going to be less jobs to go around. Now i'm hoping to get my Masters in something more lucrative than Health Administration.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

8 months ago

lol dont in Los Angeles, California said: I have a bachelors degree in health science/public health and I'm currently working for one of the major counties in California. I have to warn you all, anyone in health care administration are usually RNs who are getting older and moved up to administrative side. The hospitals tend to hire folks who already are licensed professionals which saves them money. Unless you have licensing, you aren't going to be picked out of the lot. And with the current trend of converting all health care records into electronic format, I'm pretty sure there's going to be less jobs to go around. Now i'm hoping to get my Masters in something more lucrative than Health Administration.

You're right. My last employer was working on EMR and going forward, there will be far fewer admin healthcare type jobs. EMR is designed to get rid of them.

If you are in healthcare, stick with direct patient care. Its difficult to off-shore someone having a heart attack.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.