Need to come out of retirement

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Gidget

73 months ago

Although I took early retirement three years ago, I am now looking for a part-time clerical job in the NYC area. I find I am bored out of my mind and need something to keep myself busy, as well as supplement my SS income. I worked as a secretary/administrative assistant for forty years, have excellent computer skills and a very strong work ethic. I have a highly diversified background, am experienced handling busy phones and running an office. I find that no matter how many resumes I put on Craigslist (and other sites) I cannot get a nibble.

Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

officequeen

73 months ago

Hi Gidget, the only thing I can say to you is that i can relate to you. I also have been looking for work for a year, I've had temps and very short assignments, just keep looking, do not give up and pray alot. God will bless you for your efforts. Try to keep yourself busy, try helping someone else, even though you are in this situation of not finding work, but when you help someone else, it could be anything, moral support, run errands, clean their house or just keep them company, believe me this will take your mind off of your troubles. Take care and I will be praying for you and everyone else who is going through the same.

Deborah James in Alameda, California

73 months ago

Also, try the IAAP job board

www.iaap-hq.org

AARP has some program to help retirees, but I've heard that salaries are really low ($9 to $10 per hour). You can check their website though

www.aarp.org

There is also a board for non-profit organizations. Since you’re bored, you might want to look into that area.

www.idealist.org

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

Gidget said: Although I took early retirement three years ago, I am now looking for a part-time clerical job in the NYC area. I find I am bored out of my mind and need something to keep myself busy, as well as supplement my SS income. I worked as a secretary/administrative assistant for forty years, have excellent computer skills and a very strong work ethic. I have a highly diversified background, am experienced handling busy phones and running an office. I find that no matter how many resumes I put on Craigslist (and other sites) I cannot get a nibble.

Any advice out there would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest substitute teaching. In New York City, the hourly pay must be fairly decent - and you only work on the days you want.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.