Older Worker Seeks Employment

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 69 of 69)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Lost Hope in Sherman Oaks, California

30 months ago

I am over 55.... turning 59 in Sept.

I WAS a State Board Licence Manicurist for over 35 years. Self employed, private contractor (I rented my own station in beauty shops).
Then about 10 years ago I seen the change in the business.
With the influx of immigrants to which OUR government paid to assist them to go to cosmetology schools, then once completed, our government set them up in their own shops... I was "out-sourced".
A proud trade that I once had, to which I paid for my own schooling, books, licence's and child care had been taken away from me.
Mostly all nail shops are owned by either Korean's or Vietnamese. I've tried to rent stations in these governments sponsored businesses but.......It's been 3 years since I've worked as a manicurist and I've finally come to realize that my trade is gone from me forever.
At the ripe "old age" of 59 I cannot even find work cleaning houses and I think that's because I do not speak Spanish.
Within the past 5 years I've lost everything I work so hard to achieve- My house/home- not because I over extended myself, my mortgage payment was only $600 a month, after buying food, utilities, etc I was unable to scrape together $600 a month. I still feel like I was blessed to manage to stay in my home till my daughter graduated high School.
My home was foreclosed, bought by a foreign investor, and now is section 8. The government will pay for immigrants to live there but would not/ did not help me.
I lived in that home for 17 years. Sold everything I had- the biggest heartbreaker was I had to give up the family pets too.
I now live in LA sharing a apartment with my 67 year old sister.
Everyday, even though it's a lost cause I still keep looking for work of ANY KIND.
I know "hang in there" everyone tells me that too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lost Hope in Sherman Oaks, California

30 months ago

I am over 55.... turning 59 in Sept.

I WAS a State Board Licence Manicurist for over 35 years. Self employed, private contractor (I rented my own station in beauty shops).
Then about 10 years ago I seen the change in the business.
With the influx of immigrants to which OUR government paid to assist them to go to cosmetology schools, then once completed, our government set them up in their own shops... I was "out-source".
A proud trade that I once had, to which I paid for my own schooling, books, licence's and child care had been taken away from me.
Mostly all nail shops are owned by either Korean's or Viet namese. I've tried to rent stations in these governments sponsored businesses but.......It's been 3 years since I've worked as a manicurist and I've finally come to realize that my trade is gone from me forever.
At the ripe "old age" of 59 I cannot even find work cleaning houses and I think that's because I do not speak Spanish.
Within the past 5 years I've lost everything I work so hard to achieve- My house/home- not because I over extended myself, my mortgage payment was only $600 a month, after buying food, utilities, etc I was unable to scrape together $600 a month. I still feel like I was blessed to manage to stay in my home till my daughter graduated high School.
My home was foreclosed, bought by a foreign investor, and now is section 8. The government will pay for immigrants to live there but would not/ did not help me.
I lived in that home for 17 years. Sold everything I had- the biggest heartbreaker was I had to give up the family pets too.
I now live in LA sharing a apartment with my 67 year old sister.
Everyday, even though it's a lost cause I still keep looking for work of ANY KIND.
I know "hang in there" everyone tells me that too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Montgomery, Alabama

29 months ago

I will be 67 soon. I would love to go back to work. I worked up until 2011 and company folded. I have loads of computer, accounting, clerical and useful experience. No one would even look at resume. I try to be truthful. Cost to much to run the roads on interviews and then be turned down.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rokadara in Tampa, Florida

29 months ago

Isn't amazing that so many senior's want to go back to work at your age and mine and would settle for much less than what we were making just to have a job. We have the experience and knowledge and work ethics and I mean better work ethics than many younger adults. Now the government is considering raising the retirement age to 70. Doesn't do us any good if companies continue to purge their payrolls of the "over the hill gang" so they wont have to continue to pay us until we reach retirement age. Wouldn't it be something if someone started a company and only hired 55+ employees? That company would surely be sued for age discrimination

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Linda in Montgomery, Alabama

29 months ago

I totally agree. I just enjoyed having something to do rather than sit at home. My brain is not gone. It still functions. They just don't want us.

Not over the hill yet

24 months ago

Oh my goodness this is so depressing, I was just laid off from AT&T I am 55 years old..will probably survive a year on my severance...so I guess the reality is they don't hire people 50+ Amazing...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

lady di in Windsor, Ontario

24 months ago

The reality is we are a selfish community. Instead of living married, couples we choose to live by ourselves, want more. I just want to be healthy believe me if you don,t have that....you don,t have much of anything...lady di

Penapatricia in Victorville, California

22 months ago

Not over the hill yet said: Oh my goodness this is so depressing, I was just laid off from AT&T I am 55 years old..will probably survive a year on my severance...so I guess the reality is they don't hire people 50+ Amazing...

This is very depressing! I was laid off in Mar 2012 from an Aerospace company I have 15 years experience in aerospace and I was a Rec. Controller. I was replaced by an 18 yr old with NO aviation exp he was a sign carrier for model homes and stood on corners swinging a sign. He was also related and friends with my boss (Nepotism)! I am also middle age with skills, experience, and education. H.R. Should have noticed but she is also friends with the kid. I guess it's who you know also. I have had several great interviews and hired on the spot for a aerospace co in Ontario, Ca. As soon as the corporate found out my age they told me the company was on a hiring freeze. As of today Feb 2013 they have not contacted me. AGE DISCRIMINATION!

Carol Dickinson in Houston, Texas

22 months ago

Hi,

I feel for you and all these people on this post. I myself am 57 and also wondering how I am going to make it. I like your quote from the Bible..."Seek and ye shall find."

When I dispair about my situation... I think of another quote from God's Word... which really helps me see that God does care and wants to help us... "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things will be added unto you." I believe... even a job... because God does care for His children. We just need to turn to Him with our whole heart and get on our knees (if that is possible) and seek God and His righteousness in everything we do, say and think and Christ our Shepherd will lead us. We just need to open our ears. Jesus said "My sheep hear my voice and I know them and they follow me."

Oh Heavenly Father we come to you today seeking your Face. We Praise you Heavenly Father. We love you Lord and we thank you for all the blessings you have given to us. Lord we need your help. Your Word says that You... "direct the paths of a righteous man" and that You "withhold no good thing from those who walk uprightly." We come to you in humbleness with contrite hearts. Forgive us for our sins for your Word tells us that we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God... their is none that is righteous no not one. So Lord we thank you for giving us the gift of life... but mainly we thank you for your Son who paid the ultimate price that we may have eternal life with you Heaven if we only believe, trust and follow you. For your Word tells us that if we confess with our mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in our heart that He was raised from the dead we shall be saved. Lord God thank you for our eternal home in heaven where there is no mortgage payment. Lord help us today as we seek your mercy and goodness where ever we go... what ever we do... and whom ever we speak to no matter if they are indifferent. In Jesus name we pray. Amen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Buster in San Antonio, Texas

22 months ago

Haven't had a real job since 2007 after 30 years in the semiconductor industry - there is no "Silicon" in Silicon Valley any longer. I'm 54 now and over the past 6 years all I've managed is a handful of temp. jobs - most of which were absolute nightmares.

Be that as it may for those of you who are out of work you are not alone.

The problem is that this country isn't producing jobs anymore.

If one averages out job creation over that past 3 presidential terms the US economy has only produced an average of 100,000 jobs per year over the past 12 years.

You can not wage war on energy production and what was once considered prudent lending practices and expect a prosperous economy.

In 2008 this economy lost 4 million jobs. The following year, 2009, the economy shed another 5 million jobs. That was year our president spent trying to get Cap and Trade through congress because he doesn't think you and American industry pay enough for electricity.

Here are the job creation numbers tallied from the Bureau of Labor Statistics for the last six presidents - the point isn't the number of jobs created (or not) by Obama - the point is the trend of job creation.

Obamacares hostility to the full time employee is another wet blanket on hiring.

Carter 12,919,000

Reagan 15,935,000

Bush 2,545,000

Clinton 23,065,000

Bush 1,898,000

Obama -527,000

Apparenty Global Warming and all that follows from that and home loans to people who couldn't pay them back haven't worked out for millions of people.

And it's been a tradegy.

Desiree Valerie in Clearwater, Florida

3 months ago

lilan in Houston, Texas said: I like this idea. I do hope this programs can help me find a job.

Thank you for that info. I too have had a hard time looking for something in my field. I am 52 years old and the big issue here is ageism. I went on several interviews but didn't land the job I am looking for. I will look into your suggestion.
Thank you,
Desiree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jeannie in Saint Louis, Missouri

3 months ago

Butch in the boro in Smyrna, Georgia said: It has appeared to me when a person reaches 50 yrs. of age most companies that normally pay well will not say the word age but by the NO Response you receive the word AGE is mostly the problem.
Qualifications & experience is worth about a buck & fifty cents now!
The majority of cheap paying companies may consider a 50 yrs. plus individual providing one of their friends aren't looking for a job at the same time.
Hell folks open your eyes it's built into our wonderful system!
They say they are EOE, that's b/s.
They can't ask you your age but they can ask you your date of birth.
From that point it doesn't take an Einstein to figure your age.
On that 60 to 70 grand per year after age 50 I wish you the best of luck getting it.
If you were to get that type of fair employment pay then you my friend have accomplished beating the odds! That should be in the genis book of world records!
I could go on & on but what's the point? This is a forum & no one gives a chit!

I Agree. Our system really sucks! I stayed home to raise a child for fourteen years and now I can't find a job to save my life! Now I have a out of control fourteen year old kid with not enough money to support his spoiled habits. HELP! I have executive secretary skills that may be a tad rusty but I try to keep up with new software programs at least. It's getting ridiculous. Where do we go? What do we do? Going back to school with the competition out there seems like a moot endeavor. I live in St. Louis Missouri and could use some help. HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cmcatlady in Tinton Falls, New Jersey

2 months ago

I have been out of work since April 2014. I am 59. I am getting plenty of calls for interviews, but that's about it. I am pretty disgusted. It has to be age. Since when has 59 become over the hill? I am full of energy and ready to work. Why can't they see that? I am not ready to retire, can't retire because I can't afford to!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barry2 in Austin, Texas

2 months ago

I just wonder what older individuals looking for a job can do to give them the advantage.

I remember reading an article that said one possibility would be for the individual to tell
the potential employer that they would opt out of health insurance and pay for it on their
own as a way to give the potential employer an incentive to hire them.

I guess it might work if the individual and employer were willing to do it.

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona

2 months ago

Barry2 in Austin, Texas said: I just wonder what older individuals looking for a job can do to give them the advantage.

I remember reading an article that said one possibility would be for the individual to tell
the potential employer that they would opt out of health insurance and pay for it on their
own as a way to give the potential employer an incentive to hire them.

I guess it might work if the individual and employer were willing to do it.

Well, the benefit for the employer is having enough workers on the plan to keep the price low.
The more people give up to these employers, the worse it gets. Soon, no job will have benefits.
If you have to give up things to get some employer to hire you, then that's pretty crappy. I'd look for a job overseas before I'd resign to that. I am working, BTW, but I feel for anyone in this situation.
If you give up your benefits to get a job, what will be next? Saying you will work for $5 less? How are you going to afford healthcare if you are working and not able to get Medicaid? I don't know anyone who makes enough to pay their own healthcare.

xboxer in Tucson, Arizona

2 months ago

cmcatlady in Tinton Falls, New Jersey said: I have been out of work since April 2014. I am 59. I am getting plenty of calls for interviews, but that's about it. I am pretty disgusted. It has to be age. Since when has 59 become over the hill? I am full of energy and ready to work. Why can't they see that? I am not ready to retire, can't retire because I can't afford to!

Because the Willfully Ignorant think that everyone has a pension like they do, or were overpaid and had a ton of money to put aside. They think everyone is like them with new cars every two years and vacations and plastic surgery.
They don't get it that a lot of people are frugal and not able to save up either.

Fungosquiggly in Belleville, Illinois

2 months ago

Jeannie in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I Agree. Our system really sucks! I stayed home to raise a child for fourteen years and now I can't find a job to save my life! Now I have a out of control fourteen year old kid with not enough money to support his spoiled habits. HELP! I have executive secretary skills that may be a tad rusty but I try to keep up with new software programs at least. It's getting ridiculous. Where do we go? What do we do? Going back to school with the competition out there seems like a moot endeavor. I live in St. Louis Missouri and could use some help. HELP!

The Salvation Army has quite a few positions available in St. Louis. You can look them up here on Indeed.

A Legal Secret, Inc. in Richmond, Virginia

1 month ago

Yes, the Company gets a tax credit but only for a certain period of months. Then the job ends and a new person that is older is hired They call it stimulating the economy.
Email: alegalsecret@outlook.com
===========

rokadara in Tampa, Florida said: I want to throw this out there. I have talked to several people who work for companies who are posting openings on employment sites eg. Careerbuilder,Monster,News Paper and others, these companies have no intention on hiring anyone from the outside but are filling positions internally. These companies actually give interviews to some of the outside canidates ( I have had a few of these myself ) I think filling positions from within is a good thing because it shows employees that they are capable to handle the jobs but why post positions that will be a waste of time to the people who might get an interview and get their hopes up thinking they might have a chance when these companies know they will not hire them. My wife is now having to apply for her job to become full time after holding the same job for three years. The company is also making her dept post her job outside even though they are keeping her on as a full time employee.

On another subject, Does anyone know if the government gives tax credits to companies that hire folks over 55, like they do to minorities? If they do why aren't more of us being hired?

A Legal Secret, Inc. in Richmond, Virginia

1 month ago

Linda in Montgomery, Alabama said: I will be 67 soon. I would love to go back to work. I worked up until 2011 and company folded. I have loads of computer , accounting , clerical and useful experience. No one would even look at resume. I try to be truthful. Cost to much to run the roads on interviews and then be turned down.

So start a business and work for yourself.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.