Tired of Administrative Assistant jobs!

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 225)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

K in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

So, George tell me what is it that you do now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

George in Narre Warren, Australia

99 months ago

Not a real lot of anything.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

Your last comment may be the reason, have you thought about that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

K in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

What ever!
Often what goes around, comes around!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

99 months ago

Indeed, with any luck it shall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Geri in Bolingbrook, Illinois

99 months ago

I agree that being in management is not the "end all be all". There is more to life than being STUCK. Has anyone ever tried starting their own home based business? If so, what kind of success did you have? I hear it's a great way to earn extra income and take back control. Plus, you don't need any degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

K in Denver, Colorado

99 months ago

I wish you the best!
Good luck!

H in Bozeman, Montana

98 months ago

I am also hoping to hear of anyone with success in starting a home-based business. I'm so stuck in this rut of a job and really can't stand the thought of being stuck in a dark, drab, DULL office in front of a computer for the rest of my working days. The thought of that is making me crazier by the minute!
And yes, George, my degree is in LS, but I don't have a scientific or mechanical mind at all so going in that direction would not be a smart move either. Going back to school is also not an option at this juncture because I first need to pay my current student loans. I'm 45 y/o/a and becoming scared for my future. Sigh . . .

cynthia in Fayetteville, North Carolina

98 months ago

To the angry, resentful anon poster who came right out and said she DOES deserve more because she spent 50K on her education and IS better than blah blah blah....your attitude is typical of young people graduating college and entering the workforce today. THE biggest and number one complaint by management about this group is that they think they are ENTITLED to move up fast, be percieved as smart, and should be given raises and recognition far faster than previous generations.

How much you spent on your education and how long it took is not something your employer is obligated to value. The ONLY thing they will value, in the long run, is how well you perform your job duties. You accept those duties when you accept the job. You must be a team player and sometimes that means shoving your ego aside or at the very least, controlling it. The self-serving, myopic, 'I want it NOW', attitude will identify you quickly as first in the cut when its time for layoffs.

That's the employer side of things. Now for the worker side of things.

The days of working for a one company, maybe two, before you retire are G-O-N-E. Corporations have been on a heavy roll the last decade to dissolve unions and push worker rights into the past. And they will ALWAYS do this. They demand your loyalty but will give you none in return, believe me. There is no sentiment for you and you have to enter the workforce now understanding that to your bones. The only thing you can do in this case is to take complete ownership of your career. This means not waiting till the company you work for starts to slip. Always jump ship when the company's 'hot' because it looks like you contributed to that. Waiting to leave or get laid off when it's on decline looks worse to future employers. NEVER, ever give your career to a company. Tell them what they want to hear, do your job and never stop networking and looking for better and more challenging opportunities. And when you find it...GO!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

@ George from Aus:

What the women here are complain about, George, is the stigma associate with being an administrative assistant. It's not the any of the women who have posted here are inadequate or chose the wrong degree, rather its that they have found them in the AA role for some reason or another and are tired of being treated like dirt just because of their job title. This job title, more then just about any other, has the stigma that anyone in that title is not very smart or not accomplished or able to provide genuinely smart/innovative ideas to the company. They are pigeon holed into the role of letter typer, coffee getter, phone answerer and very rarely are able to break out of it. Again, not because of their skills but because no one is willing to see it.

I'm guessing you weren't a very good AA. Why else would you have to work in "skilled" labor? Stop throwing your snot around here and give these people the respect they deserve.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

K in Denver, Colorado

98 months ago

Amen to that sister!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

H in Bozeman, Montana

98 months ago

You hit that nail on the head, Lore.

In addition to my lack of fulfillment as an AA after so many years, there's the added frustration of not being compensated monetarily for those years of experience, hard work, high recommendations. And I do believe that there is a gender issue affecting the $ factor.

I am definitely looking for a way out of this field, but I'm having a very tough time coming up with anything. Again, sigh...

Janet in Cleveland, Ohio

98 months ago

Maryanne in Hudson, Florida said: L ---
Your comment shows much anger and resentment, especially by your use of the "f" bombs contained within. Education is wonderful, but an employer also needs to look at the entire "package" of an employee. If you're unable to keep your temper under control or conceal your resentment, you could really do some damage to the company the employer is committed to.

Maryanne--why do you have to be so condescending...telling her to get her anger under control. Sounds like you have had to deal w/ that same issue, I'll bet. She is just venting her frustration on this forum. I'm SURE she doesn't go to work and drop the "f bomb". You are one of those people we've all worked with who holds herself above everyone else, as if you've never had a bad day!! I can't stand people like you. Why can't you just give this woman a break and let her vent? I feel the same way sometimes. I have to get coffee...and it's 2008. He can't get his own coffee as he walks past the coffee machine? But, again, you had to cut her down w/ your rude, superior remards instead of just either letting it go or empathizing w/ this woman.

Don't even bother commenting on my blog. I'm not interested in your haughty, uptight opinion. Perhaps YOU should look at why you're so cold...and we'll look at why we're so angy. K?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

L. Erica Mims in Ithaca, New York

98 months ago

You are so right. I wish that the stigma or being an AA somehow was not part of the job. I know from experience that until the stigma changes or avenues of access open, people who work in these jobs will always be typed as not as smart, not as motivated or unwilling to bring innovative ideas to the workplace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Austin, Texas

98 months ago

Hi all, in my younger years I was in Administration, I stopped working for awhile, raised kids, and later began a new "career" in Management. I didn't like management much since I felt there was a stigma in my position also. I think that we all think that the grass is truly greener on the other side. To me it was only a lateral move with an increase in pay. There still was disrespect even with a management title. I have since left the field and am looking in a support role again. Interesting how life brings you back around.
Comparing these recent years and times ago, I have to say that, you are all right. Even with the HR policies in place and the laws we have "protecting" the people that make the unit of the company running, there is indeed an underlining disregard to Administration, those that keep the business running. Sometimes it comes in the form of a comment that may seem harmless enough to the individual that made it but hurts the person that was made to. Other times it is downright blatant. Here in Texas it is an "At Will" state therefore more support employees put up with quite a bit. It seems antiquated that at these times in the 21st century we are still talking about inequality. What is the first step to become equal if not stronger than those that hire the administration support? Unionizing administrative positions? Creating a management position within the administrative positions to assist in protecting the support team? What is the answer? That is what I want to know. Many people here with disgrunted and legitimate arguments, what is the answer? Maybe this is what everyone is trying to find out.
What are your thoughts?

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

George in Narre Warren, Australia said: What respect do they deserve ? they make coffee and write letters ? how does that entitle you to anything ? Some of you just think you are better than other people for no reason and it frustrates you to be treated like a normal person.

Lots of people use AA as a spring board into something better and it is an option that only women have. The stigma, is not against women, but against people who are not showing the initiative to be promoted to a skilled job.

George, you're a troll. AA could be a perfectly fine job to have without the stigma associated with it. You could get ahead if it was seen as a position that was normally filled with intelligent people - the truth is that it is a position filled with intelligent people who often get the short end of the stick because of title.

Others - ignore George. He has nothing better to do with his overly educated, skilled laborer time then haunt the administrative assistant forum on indeed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Austin, Texas

98 months ago

I agree Lore. Not a troll, but a bit uninsightful perhaps. We all deserve the respect we put out. And his is a bit limited and unsightful. No disrespect, George.

I would like to hear what thoughts you, Lore, and others might have to increase worth in this field, monitarily. I want to make about $60,000 with the years of experience gained without management. Been there, done that, didn't like it. Suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

I worked as an Administrative Assistant for a year in a sales department. I worked in a small company and was the only AA there - I was passed around in departments, did typical admin things and also put myself out there. I redesigned their marketing materials, I updated their website, I did event planning, I completed big government bids. I had previous experience in marketing and had even won an marketing award in the job I had prior to that - which was in land development (haha - thus I had to leave the company I loved and move into the smaller company I'm mentioning now). I had bright ideas and the ability to manifest those ideas. However, my manager and those that I supported in the sales department didn't quite see me that way. I was treated like an idiot from day one and was told, both by HR and by someone on my team, that my role was always filled by idiots. I had a stigma placed on me before I even first sat at the desk. My accomplishments were barely recognized and any small mistakes that I made were over exaggerated . When my review came around I was written up for talking on my phone during my fifteen minute breaks outside (I was planning my wedding that year and I was the main contact so gee), I was written up for taking doctors appointments (type one diabetic - I have to see an endo every three months), and so on and so on. I was not offered a raise - not even the standard cost of living raise - nor was I offered any kind of bonus despite the fact that without my help the sales team wouldn't have gotten some of the clients that they did. Not that I did all of the work for them, but I did assist not only in preparing them for the meetings but supplied them with up to date marketing materials.

So according to George, I was in that place because I don't have the right attitude to succeed. I beg to differ. I had plenty of great ideas and initiative - they were just over looked because of my title.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

Karen in Denver, Colorado said: I think you all need to stop crabbing!

I was an Admin III/Office manager,over 50 and have been out of work since 9/07 - company down sizing - I think you all know what I'm talking about. So, if you have a job be glad that you're getting a pay check! I have worked since I was in my teens, was darn good at what I did, got a raise every year and was glad I had a job. Then the mortgage crisis hit and now I'm having a hard time finding a job of any kind.

If you're good at what you do and do the best you can do everyday, I believe your reward will come. Have you talked to your manager or supervisor and let them know what your career interests and goals are? In all of the years that I have worked I have found that most managers will help you achieve your goals, but you have to tell them what you're thinking! Remember the folks at the top are goal oriented they like it when you talk goals and numbers.

Not a fair comment Karen. Not all offices are created equally. In the office I'm at now AAs are treated with respect, whereas at the office I was last at they ..well, they were not treated with respect what so ever. To enjoy a job as an AA, where you constantly helping other people, you need to be working with a good team. If your team is rude or disrespectful then your job is going to be crummy no matter what you bring to the table.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

Cindy in Austin, Texas said: I agree Lore. Not a troll, but a bit uninsightful perhaps. We all deserve the respect we put out. And his is a bit limited and unsightful. No disrespect, George.

I would like to hear what thoughts you, Lore, and others might have to increase worth in this field, monitarily. I want to make about $60,000 with the years of experience gained without management. Been there, done that, didn't like it. Suggestions?

Well, a troll in the internet discussion board sense of the word. :) He's egging people on, trying to get reactions out of us. Haha.

Honestly? I left the field. After the negative experience I had (which I posted above) I didn't feel inclined to go further. I'm working as a programmer now and plan on going back to school to get my second degree in Design and Graphics. So I'm not quite sure how one could move up in the field. I understand that Executive Assistants tend to make more, but I thought the pay scale topped off once you reached that role? I could very well be wrong. If you love the field, then look into moving onto different companies - that is one way to stay competitive pay scale wise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Austin, Texas

98 months ago

I may have to stay in management to keep the higher pay scale. I appreciate your comments and am so sorry you had to endure all that unappreciation from people that should have rightly appreciated you. I would have hired you in a heartbeat. I always enjoyed working with the people I hired and since I have left the company, most of those individuals are still my friends. I'm looking now, not finding much in the work force. Slim pickins in Austin, Texas for high paying positions. Job market is weak even here. I applaud you going back to school, that is what I'm trying to figure out for myself, if I should get my Masters after I find the right fit in a company.

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

Also! There isn't a union, per se, but there is an administrative assistant association (say that three times fast)! They have divisions in every state - and at least in the state of Florida in many cities. I thought some of you might be interested in it. :)

www.iaap-hq.org/index.htm

Lore in Orlando, Florida

98 months ago

Cindy in Austin, Texas said: I may have to stay in management to keep the higher pay scale. I appreciate your comments and am so sorry you had to endure all that unappreciation from people that should have rightly appreciated you. I would have hired you in a heartbeat. I always enjoyed working with the people I hired and since I have left the company, most of those individuals are still my friends. I'm looking now, not finding much in the work force. Slim pickins in Austin, Texas for high paying positions. Job market is weak even here. I applaud you going back to school, that is what I'm trying to figure out for myself, if I should get my Masters after I find the right fit in a company.

Finding jobs is extremely difficult right now. It seems like just about everyone has put a freeze on hiring. If you liked being in the administrative field then definitely look towards Executive Assistant jobs - I'm not sure what would be offered currently but not but a year ago those jobs started around 50-60K. Not too shabby! It can go up from there too. :)

Definitely go for your masters - even if you're not putting it towards something career wise. Having a masters will put you at a greater advantage salary wise and going back to school is always a fun experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Austin, Texas

98 months ago

Thank you, Lore. Wish I would have known you a few months ago when I had a job. Always good to look when you have one. Keep in touch. Much luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

H in Bozeman, Montana

98 months ago

I am employed here, but continually seek something better. In my search, I do have to laugh/cry at many advertised positions seeking: Admin Assist/Office Mgr/AP/AR, ETC!! I've seen some that add: light office cleaning. The most any of these positions pay is $12/hour. Usually it's $10. I enlisted with an employment agency when I moved here 3 years ago & told them I could accept no less than $14/hour. I did not receive 1 call from them in 1 year! Like I've said, I'm seeking to EXIT this field, but not being able to afford further education and not having experience to jump to another field, I'm feeling trapped.

Anne in Littleton, Colorado

96 months ago

L in Columbia, SC in Columbia, South Carolina said: Is anyone else finding that once you've worked in administrative and clerical positions, that's all employers see you as - no matter what your other potentials may be (i.e., project management, clinical background, event planning, seminar speaking and presentations, trainer, etc.)? A college professor told me that this happens when you don't have a degree, and that bigger and better doors will open when I obtain my degree. How do you break out of the administrative and clerical positions trap when you want higher promotions or career opportunities? I'm not knocking administrative professionals because I am one, but understand that I am trying to branch out and expand beyond typing letters and answering phones. I've actually had a former manager say "Oh, she's just a secretary" to a management candidate that inquired about my position during introductions!

Thanks,
L

I understand your frustration. The most important thing is that you have to have a goal. Even with degrees, if you don't know where you want to be you'll still be stuck in a "generalist" admin. position. You need to set a specific goal or at least an industry that interests you. Just saying you're tired of administrative isn't a goal in itself -- it's what you don't want anymore. You need to now ask yourself "What DO you want?" Believe me, I've been there. I had to do some real soul searching.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

Karen in Denver, Colorado said: I think you all need to stop crabbing!

I was an Admin III/Office manager,over 50 and have been out of work since 9/07 - company down sizing - I think you all know what I'm talking about. So, if you have a job be glad that you're getting a pay check! I have worked since I was in my teens, was darn good at what I did, got a raise every year and was glad I had a job. Then the mortgage crisis hit and now I'm having a hard time finding a job of any kind.

If you're good at what you do and do the best you can do everyday, I believe your reward will come. Have you talked to your manager or supervisor and let them know what your career interests and goals are? In all of the years that I have worked I have found that most managers will help you achieve your goals, but you have to tell them what you're thinking! Remember the folks at the top are goal oriented they like it when you talk goals and numbers.

You also have to be working for the right fit company!

96 months ago

I am a little sick of hearing women complain about this big bad world putting them down - when it is the women putting themselves into submissive jobs for short term gains and en masse making decisions leading to that end.

As a female, I have to agree with you here. It is very true that if you put yourself in a submissive position, it can become very difficult to get ahead in many organizations. Not all, but many.

Sales is one way to get ahead but it's not for everyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

A lot of the stigma comes from the fact it is a female only job. Make it gender neutral and a lot of it would probably go away. All female only jobs attract a stigma that is associated with femininity, just as masculine jobs do.

Affirmative action would help in this situation. Forcing companies to hire Male administrators for various role and perhaps recruiting young men from College campuses for such roles and advertising requirements that this is a gender neutral position.

A lot of the stigma would probably go away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

I mean the discrimination against men for these types of roles is ridiculously widespread. The job is messed up in that regard and I'm therefore not surprised a lot of you are encountering problems down the track.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

I heard the Dallas area is booming.

H in Bozeman, Montana

96 months ago

George in Narre Warren, Australia said: A lot of the stigma comes from the fact it is a female only job. Make it gender neutral and a lot of it would probably go away. All female only jobs attract a stigma that is associated with femininity, just as masculine jobs do.

Affirmative action would help in this situation. Forcing companies to hire Male administrators for various role and perhaps recruiting young men from College campuses for such roles and advertising requirements that this is a gender neutral position.

A lot of the stigma would probably go away.

Hmm, and the pay would no doubt increase. Grand idea! :)

jessica61480 in pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

96 months ago

Anne in Littleton, Colorado said: I am a little sick of hearing women complain about this big bad world putting them down - when it is the women putting themselves into submissive jobs for short term gains and en masse making decisions leading to that end.

As a female, I have to agree with you here. It is very true that if you put yourself in a submissive position, it can become very difficult to get ahead in many organizations. Not all, but many.

Sales is one way to get ahead but it's not for everyone.

Anne,

I have seen some of the negative comments about you and your attitude that several other posters have commented on, and I am inclined to agree. Saying that women put themselves in submissive situations is like arguing about whether the chicken or the egg come first. How often is it the fault of the good ol boys club thinking that the role of AA is best suited for a (young, attractive) woman.

I do see part of the appeal. If you want someone to greet your clients you want that person to be good looking, and our culture is obsessed with youth. Women see stereotypical scenarios like that on tv and in movies all the time. It was less then 40 years ago that women went to college for their "MRS degree" and we still have a long way to from that.

the bottom line its just unfair. This is my opinion, someone who started as a receptionist at a car dealership and moved to being an office manager before putting myself through school and getting into sales and account management. I have seen both sides of the fence and the view from above. If myself and a male classmate both networked for an entry level job anywhere he would be recomended for an entry level position/internship or whatever might be available. I, as a woman, would be told to get in any a company any way I can and work my way up. Please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

L in Columbia, SC in Columbia, South Carolina said: Is anyone else finding that once you've worked in administrative and clerical positions, that's all employers see you as - no matter what your other potentials may be (i.e., project management, clinical background, event planning, seminar speaking and presentations, trainer, etc.)? A college professor told me that this happens when you don't have a degree, and that bigger and better doors will open when I obtain my degree. How do you break out of the administrative and clerical positions trap when you want higher promotions or career opportunities? I'm not knocking administrative professionals because I am one, but understand that I am trying to branch out and expand beyond typing letters and answering phones. I've actually had a former manager say "Oh, she's just a secretary" to a management candidate that inquired about my position during introductions!

Thanks,
L

I look at like this. If I get hired for an entry level secretarial job with certain skills and education in the hope of being promoted from within, what would I possibly gain in this entry level position that would make me more qualified for a job with increased salary and responsibility if I was not considered qualified before taking the lower level position? Its a catch 22.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

You women just want it all don't you. You want equality only when it suits you.

Its sexist when you don't get promoted.
But its not sexist when you don't hire men into that same job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

George in Narre Warren, Australia said: You women just want it all don't you. You want equality only when it suits you.

Its sexist when you don't get promoted.
But its not sexist when you don't hire men into that same job.

You sound like you are a single man who has been rejected by women one time too many.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

H in Bozeman, Montana

96 months ago

"We're" still not in the majority of those who hire; but, if "we" were, I'm sure we'd be happy to hire qualified men.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

96 months ago

jessica61480 in pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Anne,

I have seen some of the negative comments about you and your attitude that several other posters have commented on, and I am inclined to agree. Saying that women put themselves in submissive situations is like arguing about whether the chicken or the egg come first. How often is it the fault of the good ol boys club thinking that the role of AA is best suited for a (young, attractive) wo

Fine, it doesn't bother me. I stnd behind my comments that women often shoot themselves in their own foot. And no need to personal because you don't agree with me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Denver, Colorado

96 months ago

Someone who started as a receptionist at a car dealership and moved to being an office manager before putting myself through school and getting into sales and account management. I have seen both sides of the fence and the view from above. If myself and a male classmate both networked for an entry level job anywhere he would be recomended for an entry level position/internship or whatever might be available. I, as a woman, would be told to get in any a company any way I can and work my way up. Please.

OK, why don't we analyze the situation. You started as a receptionist without a degree. Did the men have a degree who moved into account management? If not, were they perhaps more aggressive than you in order to go after what they wanted? Let's be truthful. It's always easier to play the victim. That said, there is discrimination for sure and if you're playing hardball, you've got to play the game. Did you ever ask to be promoted or just expect them to swoop down one day and offer you something better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

What my above comment stated is that I became an account manager once I completed my degree. I was never interested in being promoted before I actually had my degree. That was my plan so that I could focus on school and I did, graduating with a 3.9. I am not playing the victim. I realized that I would need experience and education, regardless of gender to move forward in my professional life. I did however, notice, in both work and school, that there is a stigma attached to administrative work. And I do feel very qualified to say that because I have done administrative work for close to 7 years; and when I did graduate and move forward into account management I heard my coworkers opinions about our administrative staff.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

jessica61480 in pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: What my above comment stated is that I became an account manager once I completed my degree. I was never interested in being promoted before I actually had my degree. That was my plan so that I could focus on school and I did, graduating with a 3.9. I am not playing the victim. I realized that I would need experience and education, regardless of gender to move forward in my professional life. I did however, notice, in both work and school, that there is a stigma attached to administrative work. And I do feel very qualified to say that because I have done administrative work for close to 7 years; and when I did graduate and move forward into account management I heard my coworkers opinions about our administrative staff.

Yes, there is a stigma attached to supportive work. There always has been for women especially who want to get ahead. You don't see many men doing admin owrk and there is a reason for it. That's why women are always advised to not go down that road -- to find a different route to get ahead. Not to say that admin work is not important -- it's the glue that holds it all together but it's useless trying to convince people otherwise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

96 months ago

its actually a little funny because what are saying is almost the same as the poster who started the whole thread. I dont mean to personally attack you. I just know what I have seen and heard myself over the years. People can agree to disagree all the time; but you or I cant change the experiences that have already taken place in someone's life. I think that is where the majority of a lof of women's frutrations lie. You are right that a lot of men don't start out in that field, but in the competitive market I have been in (due to too many colleges in this small city) I never saw another way to go. Part of that is because Pittsburgh is an "old" city in population and in values. I am glad I realized the road I was going down before it was too late to change it professionally.

Wanda in Orchard Park, New York

96 months ago

Just be yourself - take chances and explore risks. Everyone needs to standout and be above and beyond others. For example, I am also an admin. asst. for many years and found myself in a rutt also. To institute a change, I decided I would take my own steps by developing/creating something the company would find useful. I prepared and researched in my downtime or at home. I made sure I had backup for any and all questions I thought might be brought up before I presented. Having everything in hand, presenting, answering questions about a topic the firm didn't even realize I would have a clue about, I stood out. I got their attention through visuals (ie: charts, graphs), and I stood before them positive and astute. Everything changes when YOU make the change. Did you ever think it was YOU that was holding back? Go and Discover! I wish you the best!

Jan in Schaumburg, Illinois

95 months ago

If you are not already, get into a fortune 500 company and I bet you will advance more or have more opportunities. As well, join little membership programs that the company sponsors. Join programs in the community such as applying to be board member in your town or at devision that you live in.

Being at some local company will always limit you.

I am a AA and I have so many opportunities to do other stuff with the fortune 500 company I work at but my other skills is techinical, hardware software stuff so not sure if that makes a difference but I could jump into that any time at the company I am with but I have not as I am not a go getter or one who wants to be in management or have high status. Actually one of the exec admins at the company I work for use to be a VP and is now a Exec admin and prefers a AA job over it. I would too because did you know that the higher the position you have, the more responsibilities and the more stress and then you age quicker...ugh-- I dont want to get old quicker :-(.....AA is a gold mine as I see it-- you do things in the background to accomplish the big picture and you dont have to make the big decisions in a company that will age you drastically...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Polly Giblin in Mason, Ohio

95 months ago

Geri in Bolingbrook, Illinois said: I agree that being in management is not the "end all be all". There is more to life than being STUCK. Has anyone ever tried starting their own home based business? If so, what kind of success did you have? I hear it's a great way to earn extra income and take back control. Plus, you don't need any degree.

I know several people who have started their own home-based businesses. Most of them are multi-level marketing businesses. The people who started them because they love the product are more successful than those who started something simply to earn extra money. The main thing to remember about a home-based business is that it is very sales intensive. If you love the product, you are much more willing to talk to people about it.

Best of luck with finding something that works for you!

Polly Giblin in Mason, Ohio

95 months ago

That's the employer side of things. Now for the worker side of things.

The days of working for a one company, maybe two, before you retire are G-O-N-E. Corporations have been on a heavy roll the last decade to dissolve unions and push worker rights into the past. And they will ALWAYS do this. They demand your loyalty but will give you none in return, believe me. There is no sentiment for you and you have to enter the workforce now understanding that to your bones. The only thing you can do in this case is to take complete ownership of your career. This means not waiting till the company you work for starts to slip. Always jump ship when the company's 'hot' because it looks like you contributed to that. Waiting to leave or get laid off when it's on decline looks worse to future employers. NEVER, ever give your career to a company. Tell them what they want to hear, do your job and never stop networking and looking for better and more challenging opportunit

You make a great point about networking. Responding to all the ads you can find is not as effective as networking when looking for a new position. The first step is to get very clear about what you're looking for. When you are networking or even talking to friends, if you can quickly and clearly communicate what you're looking for, they will know better how and if they can help you out.

It's easy to blame the system, the economy or the current social situation for our lack of success, but it is ultimately up to us to decide what we want and to keep looking until we find it.

Sharon in Seattle, Washington

94 months ago

anon in Phoenix, Arizona said: I agree with L. However, I have a college degree. I even went through a very good hiring agency, and yet this is the only position I will ever be considered for. I accomplished so much in college, and now I feel like I've entirely wasted $50,000. I can't quit becuase I need to pay my student loans back. I can't go to grad school becuase I can't afford to take out any more student loans. If you are a woman, you'll have to start out as an admin. I f-ing hate it. I don't like helping people with things they could do themselves just to maintain their "image". I am smarter than most of them. They complain that young people move up too quickly, but I've got news for them...I just spent 50K on my education, so YES I do deserve to rank higher than YOU. I have better communication, presentation and analytical skills becuase I've been made to use these for four years straight. I can't subsist on 28K with a 3% per year. They have a management training program, which they won't let me into, but if your dad works here, you get to go. I absolutely cannot stand admin work. It is below me; it is below any human being. I can't fathom how anyone would ever want to do a job like this. I read forums where people are asking advice on how to get an admin asst job. Are you kidding?!?! Why would anyone seriously have that goal? It's insulting and sexist and mind-numbing. I wish I could espcape, but I can't get hired into anything else with a list of admin jobs on my f-ing resume!!!!

Wow - do we have a "tude" problem here or what? First, you need to learn how to spell "because" correctly. ;) Being a former Admin., and even as an H.R. Manager, I've had to do all the admin. duties (sometimes "they" let me have an assistant, but I had to fight for it). The company's bottom line is most important. You will do well to figure out what saves the company $$ for any recognition or appreciation from management. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

soeung sokrith in Cambodia

94 months ago

I want to get a lot of documents therefore complete my job as administrative assistant

Sharon in Seattle, Washington

94 months ago

soeung sokrith in Cambodia said: I want to get a lot of documents therefore complete my job as administrative assistant

I don't know what you mean....you want to get a lot of documents ????

Denise in Portland, Oregon

94 months ago

The problem with admin work is that the pay and respect do not represent the work. As I look at job listings, the lists of duties and responsibilities are longer and longer and the pay remains the same - over the past 10 or so years! As soon as women take up a profession, the pay stagnates. I would like to see some of the male execs multi-task on the same level they have come to expect form their support staff. These jobs should be respected and paid accordingly instead of making us all run around trying to get the stench of "administrative assistant" out of our resumes. I'd like to see a national Admin union. Let's see companies run without admins.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.