Tips on finding entry-level administrative work when most of background is retail and customer service.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Lerin Johnson in Gary, Indiana

39 months ago

Over much of the past decade, my work history has been in the retail, customer service, and sales industries. I have some previous administrative experience but it was only for six months and it was five years ago. I wasn't fired or anything like that, the branch was just closed down. I panicked when I suddenly didn't have a job so I found one in retail within the next day or so.

I know how to work basic office equipment, I have a pleasant phone voice, and am very detail oriented. At my last couple of positions I worked in beauty retail sales so it required a lot of customer service. I had to maintain a significant clientele base and constantly keep in contact with them via phone, email, and standard mail. This all required me to be highly organized. I also have working experience with MS Word and Excel.

With all this being said, I am seeking to make a career change from retail back to the administrative profession. I guess what I'm looking for is anyone who has any tips on how I can make myself stand out from other candidates who have more experience in an actual office setting. Even though this was several years ago, I scored an almost perfect score on my verbal test on my SAT's and a five on my AP English exam which is the highest score you can achieve. I say those things because I know that I do have the strong verbal and communicative skills that employers are looking for. How can I help them see this when I don't have the experience they're looking for? I am open to any and all suggestions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.