Unemployed and 40ish but don't look my age.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

ESJ in Saint Louis, Missouri

46 months ago

I have had ^6^ interviews within the last 2 months, (great) when they find out my age I am not selected for the position. What gives here?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ccwood in Pinehurst, North Carolina

39 months ago

ESJ in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I have had ^6^ interviews within the last 2 months, (great) when they find out my age I am not selected for the position. What gives here?

I have the same problem. I am in mid 50's. They are discriminating against age w/o openly showing it so they don't get in trouble. That's the only thing I can think of.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

queenie1 in Grapevine, Texas

39 months ago

ESJ in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I have had ^6^ interviews within the last 2 months, (great) when they find out my age I am not selected for the position. What gives here?

I have had the same problem I am a 51 yr. old female that doesn't look it either. I still think men have it easier though, so my advise is you really have to sell yourself! Stay focused on what your strengths and qualifications are. They want young people because they can hire them for nothing, so here is the real deal. You cannot give them a specific on what you will work for (monetary) and I know this is sickening, but give them about a $30,000 lee way. Better yet tell them you will come in and prove yourself and work for free for 30-45 days, but at the end if you are hired you would like a extra week of vacation included for the time you gave them. Also you want your insurance to be retro from the day you started. I think right now it is who you know and not what you know so good luck! However, This is advise I got from professionals.

mary in Tampa, Florida

39 months ago

I really suggest you do not work for free. Nor would any company or corporation get into that. One problem is labor laws. Another is workers' compensation - should you get hurt.

The only benefit to working for free is for the employer - who may like that idea, and keep the revolving door open for free labor.

It takes time, skill and brains to do a job. Don't give it away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Lander, Wyoming

29 months ago

That is too bad, but I am 61 as of April 1st and I am trying to apply too and I am very afraid my age will cause this problem. I look much younger and have good skills and work ethic, what gives. Come on employers we are the best candidates and I have to work until I am 66 just to get my social security. HELP!

lillianbrown55@yahoo.com in Dallas, Texas

25 months ago

If the question comes up in or during the interview, that is illegal(at least it is where I live).

After the interview is over, I suggest you be careful of the info you reveal. Wait until sometime after you get the job to reveal your true age. Keep them guessing for a while. Then after you reveal your age and are terminated, you can sue for illegal or wrongful termination. No, I am not an attorney. I am an older person, who looks my age, with multiple health problems, that have prevented me from working for the past 6 years. I am disabled w/o benefits.
God Blessings to you!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.