Getting an admissions coordinator job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

How did you get your start doing admissions coordinator work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

78 months ago

Can someone tell me what is expected from an Admissions Coordinator? Job description, degrees/training etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Desiree' Souders in Boynton, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida said: Can someone tell me what is expected from an Admissions Coordinator? Job description, degrees/training etc.

Are you referring to an Admissions Coordinator at a private college? I have been in Admissions for over 10 years at private schools that teach students the skills they need in order to get into health related fields. It has been a great career for me up until one month ago.

You have to be good with people and know how to "sell" the value of education. You must be successful in overcoming objections the potential students throw out at you. They want to feel like they have tried and will sign up to start but as the start date gets closer they come up with all kinds of excuses or reasons(very few are valid) why they cannot start classes.

Most private schools do not require a degree. They are looking for individuals who are able to relate to all kinds of students and show them the value of an education and what it can do for them.

I started in Admissions 10 years ago and was told by someone I knew that the school was looking for another admissions rep. I have worked at a total of 3 schools and have been very successful at each school I worked at. The last school I worked at I was the Director of Admissions and I was there for over 6 years.

I quit because I was already putting in a lot of time and they moved someone up to a corporate level who had less than one year of actual Admissions experience and he thought I should stay until every potential student left the building. If I was there at 8 or 9 in the morning that could put me there until 8 or later at night. I have a family and was not able to accomodate his ridiculous work schedule so I quit. I would love to get back into Admisisons at a quality school and am taking my time trying to find the right school.

It is a rewarding job knowing that you are helping people and making a difference in thier live

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

74 months ago

No, sorry I meant Admissions Coordinator in a nursing facility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JA in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

44 months ago

As an Admissions Coordinator in Longterm care, Your responsibilities change from one employer to another but I will give you an out line of what I was responsible for..
Screening Applicants to meet admissions criteria ( per facility)
Performing Medicare and Secondary Insurance verifications,
Preparing contracts and completing them with the clients,
Ensuring the accomadations were proper prior to admission,
Obtaining Copies of Medicare Cards, Secondary Insurance Cards, Advanced Directives, etc.
Preparing Welcome Guides
Performing Tours and External Marketing
Being a Liason betweem hospitals, patients, family members and the facility .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No Reply - Report abuse

SCrowell3926 in Mishawaka, Indiana

43 months ago

JA in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma said: As an Admissions Coordinator in Longterm care, Your responsibilities change from one employer to another but I will give you an out line of what I was responsible for..
Screening Applicants to meet admissions criteria ( per facility)
Performing Medicare and Secondary Insurance verifications,
Preparing contracts and completing them with the clients,
Ensuring the accomadations were proper prior to admission,
Obtaining Copies of Medicare Cards, Secondary Insurance Cards, Advanced Directives, etc.
Preparing Welcome Guides
Performing Tours and External Marketing
Being a Liason betweem hospitals, patients, family members and the facility .

What about education requirements?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Newark, New Jersey

34 months ago

Hi
Perhaps you can help me. My friend is starting on online paralegal school and needs to have someone who will be responsible for dealing with the financial aid aspect of the program, would this individual be called an "Admission Coordinator"? If not, can you tell me what the title would be? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Donna in Newark, New Jersey

34 months ago

My friend is preparing to start an online paralegal course. What I need to know is the individual who is responsible for taking care of the financial aide/grants would be the "Admission Coordinator"? Thanks for your help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.