Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming admissions representative interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Fran in Temecula, CA

102 months ago

I have a negative in my background and the times that I have brought it up in the interview i never go any futher.

The time that i held back and did not reveal it until after three interviews and they were sure they wanted to hire me and i knew there was a background check i brought up first this seemed to be not good because they did not hire me after i told them.
I have never cause anyone harm use drugs for a while and have been off for 9yrs.

What should i do when should i bring it up. I am good at what I do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Frankk in Herndon, VA

102 months ago

Fran - this is a tough one. From an employer's perspective, the sooner you bring it up the better. If they hold prejudices, then maybe you wouldn't want to work there?

One idea you could try is to go through a third party recruiter. Explain your situation to the recruiter right from the beginning. Recruiters are expert at dealing with these types of situations.

Another idea might be to try contracting or temping first. Once they see how good you are it will be easier for them to accept the negative background check. You could suggest this when you go to interview for a job. Maybe even call the company that gave you 3 interviews and suggest it to them?

A 3rd idea - when you bring up the negative - be prepared. Maybe you can get a few letters of recommendation or references you can give to the employer at the interview which show that you would be a good hire. Nip any apprehension in the bud.

And finally, you might consult a professional career counselor - who may tell you that my off the cuff ideas are bad!

Good luck in your job search!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.