Hows the Market??

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

lou in Dothan, Alabama

59 months ago

There are jobs if you have experiance. Even with an a&p! I finished a school for my A&P 8months ago and still no work. For brand new mechanic is hard to find jobs.They are few and far between. Your a&p doesnt guarnty a job. You dont have to go to a expensive school for it either. Check ypur community colleges. Thats what i did. I only paid about 13thousnd for it. Have fun looking for a place to get in for the experiance.

Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Jason in Munford, Tennessee

57 months ago

I was there as a mechanic for 15 months. It is not that bad. Is it as good as sitting in your living room? Of course not. You work hard, learn a lot and get paid good. Is there a potential chance that something could happen? Yes. You are working in a combat zone. Remember you are in aviation there is a potential chance for anything happening.

Reply - Report abuse

John in Mukilteo in Lynnwood, Washington

56 months ago

Air Force, Airlines, and now building airplanes. I love airplanes. But I gotta agree, you will sacrifice your health, safety, family life, and time with friends. With the airlines, rotating schedule on off shifts; had to carry around a calendar to see if I would be available for parties with friends and family. Building airplanes, there are so many chemicals and inexperienced people around you. Seems like they are TRYING to kill you. The comments of husband in Afghanistan and Iraq and taking contract work all over the world... Fine for her, shes home safe and getting to spend time with kids. How many birthdays and holidays have I missed?? Safety is really changing and coming around to increase your life expectancy longer than 6 months after you retire but I don't have any current reports on that. Travel used to be great with the airlines. Didn't matter how many oversells they had, you show up, you get on. Now, I don't even bother showing up if they are within 5 of being sold out with my retirement status. Good luck in your decision. Like I said, I love airplanes. I live a block from the airport so I can hear the noise. I have made the aviation industry work for me and never been without work.

Reply - Report abuse

QAMang. in Santa Fe, New Mexico

56 months ago

If you want to go into the Aviation world I would suggest that you stay as far away from the airlines as you can, its shift work weekends holidays and unions. And the promis of 40+ dollars an hour is for one guy who has been there scince 1969. I've been there, helicopters are the way to go I made the switch about 5 years ago and the money is better and the work is more secure. And if your willing to go overseas and take some risk then the money is great. And getting away from the unions helps out a great deal, finaly you are reconized for you work ethic and ability and not how many years youve been there "drawing" a check. Right now military contracts pay the most for the most part but that competetion is driving up the price that other operators have to offer so med-evac is not to far behind, forest sevice contracts are great to if you like to travel and can get hired (people hang on to those jobs and the forrest service raises the threshold for experince and qualifications), and CPB is also pushing up wages aleast in my area(El Paso). In the five years I've been doing rotor wings I've never been with out a job in fact a often get mulitple offers while employed (in this economy) while every one is looking for work my wages have gone up by 50% over the past 5 years increasing each year. I credit this to me making the switch from airlines to helicopter. And WHEN you get hired be willing to stick with that company, but don't be scared to roll out if a great opprotunity comes your way!

Reply - Report abuse

joe in Stockbridge, Georgia

54 months ago

Savage in Paris, France said: I am currently a helo repairer for the CH-47 Chinook. I love aviation . I am currently in Iraq and looking forward to starting a civillian job as an aircraft mechanic when I get back. Sucks the military rating doesnt mean you automaticaly get an A&P. You still have to go and test out on stuff and take a few additional classes if you want the associates degree to go along. Aviation is a passion field. I wouldnt recommend it if your heart isn't into it. Flying is what to stay away from. I spent thousands of dollars to get my pilots license in school and ended up working at UPS with a couple pilots who were furloughed (sp). I would recommend staying away from the giants and get with a repair shop. Military experience is gold in the industry. If you are young I would recommend doing the 6 years and get all the free/paid training you can on the governments dime. Not to mention they have programs that pay for your A&P testing and schooling. Depending on where your from the guard offers up to 20k for them in ohio when I enlisted and active is 40k I believe. Choice is ultimately up to you. This is just from my experiences so far.

I have been in aviation since 1975. It has been good to me and yes there are a lot of ups and downs in this field. However, your military experience should qualify you to take the A & P FAA exam, but the subjects the testing covers are not areas you would have experience with in the military. I recommend taking the two year A&P school so you will have the basic knowledge to pass the FAA testing and get your licenses the commercial industry requires. It is good information and will make you a better A&P. Not to mention it will make you qualified!

Reply - Report abuse

John J in Caro, Michigan

54 months ago

That is true, you are able to use military experience (aviation related) to count towards the experience requirements of FAR 65.77. As Joe in Stockbridge eluded to, it is still advisable to take some civilian training. The military does things completely differently. Sure, maintenance is maintenance but the rules and industry standards are vastly different. I feel there is much more responsibility in the civilian world as there are not so many safety mechanisms as there are in the military. For instance, there is no technical inspector that will look over my work and sign his/her name. That responsibility is up to me, as well as complying with all ADs, service bulletins and other requirements. I am also responsible for ordering and maintain inventory, taking care of HAZMAT, safety inspector, I am responsible for receiving all bulk fuel shipments, I am also the avionics shop, hydraulic/pneumatic shop as well as the engine shop and tool crib guy.
For those looking to join the guard, the LUH-72 program might be a smart move. It is a certificated aircraft so the A&P is required. The guard will pay for the tests although you will still need to meet the requirements of 65.77. You would be learning an airframe that has a direct civilian counterpart, the EC-145.
The military has its way of giving everyone a small slice of the pie. In many cases, in the civilian world, particularly in the rotorcraft arena, you are given the complete pie.
That being said, I love my job and wouldnt change it for anything even though it has a tendency to kick my ass once in awhile. This is a humbling and thankless career. [Website advertisement and URL removed by Indeed Moderator]

Reply - Report abuse

billyt in Charleston, South Carolina

35 months ago

aircraft maintenance has been an whirlwind ..i have lived in 8 states and 15 major cities in the last 8yrs....its horrible...unless you like hotel living and Styrofoam plates...ive been an A&P for 18yrs..ive got 8yrs on Gulfstream...airlines, corp., military..always the same outcome..

there are no rewards other than a 50hr check for a few months , then the lay off..... i am on top of my game...i have certs. and have much exp. in all fields but the outcome is always the same..

there is no representation or allegiance for aircraft workers.

i know and seen many who have been in the field for decades who still contract...i see them all over..it sucks and we are week to week....they try to become 'full time' employees but wind up on the lay off list....we have no rights

Reply - Report abuse

janetlynn039 in Mannheim, Germany

15 months ago

I WANTED TO TOUCH BASE WITH ALL THE A&P MECHANICS AND LET THEM KNOW THAT GE AVIATION HAS partnered with purdue universitY and INDIANA state college to build the new LEAP engine in brand new 100k facility, planning to have 200 employees by 2020. lafayette is a nice town. if anyone has questions feel to contact me i was happy to help out in germany.......haPPY TO HELP OUT HERE IN INDIANA. HERE IS THE LATEST POST ON GE AVIATION IN WEST LAFAYETTE INDIANA.

Reply - Report abuse

janetlynn039 in LAFAYETTE

15 months ago

ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT LAFAYETTE AND GE AVIATION CAN BE SENT DIRECT TO AOL ADDED ON TO MY USER NAME. WILL DO THE BEST TO REPLY ASAP

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Kris in Bellevue, Washington

11 months ago

John in Mukilteo in Lynnwood, Washington said: Air Force, Airlines , and now building airplanes. I love airplanes. But I gotta agree, you will sacrifice your health , safety, family life, and time with friends. With the airlines, rotating schedule on off shifts; had to carry around a calendar to see if I would be available for parties with friends and family. Building airplanes, there are so many chemicals and inexperienced people around you. Seems like they are TRYING to kill you. The comments of husband in Afghanistan and Iraq and taking contract work all over the world... Fine for her, shes home safe and getting to spend time with kids. How many birthdays and holidays have I missed?? Safety is really changing and coming around to increase your life expectancy longer than 6 months after you retire but I don't have any current reports on that. Travel used to be great with the airlines. Didn't matter how many oversells they had, you show up, you get on. Now, I don't even bother showing up if they are within 5 of being sold out with my retirement status. Good luck in your decision. Like I said, I love airplanes. I live a block from the airport so I can hear the noise. I have made the aviation industry work for me and never been without work.

Hi John,
I am in your area and I would love to discuss more with you. Could I have your email for further contact?

Thanks.

Reply - Report abuse

salim amara in Euless, Texas

6 months ago

janetlynn039 in Mannheim, Germany said: I WANTED TO TOUCH BASE WITH ALL THE A&P MECHANICS AND LET THEM KNOW THAT GE AVIATION HAS partnered with purdue universitY and INDIANA state college to build the new LEAP engine in brand new 100k facility, planning to have 200 employees by 2020. lafayette is a nice town. if anyone has questions feel to contact me i was happy to help out in germany.......haPPY TO HELP OUT HERE IN INDIANA. HERE IS THE LATEST POST ON GE AVIATION IN WEST LAFAYETTE INDIANA.

hello, I'm 28 years i have a mechanical engineer masters degree, however, I'm struggling finding a job, it's very hard, I'm thinking to go back to school to get a certification in aviation maintenance AIM school,
what do you think?, does it really worth doing that ??

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.