Nervous about age

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

cudadown in Cleveland, Tennessee

61 months ago

Hello everyone. I am 47 and in excellent health (thankfully). I recently gave up on a horrible, stress filled management position at at&t. Pay was good but the job was ruining my relationship with wife and family. Anyway, working on aircraft has always been a dream since very young. I decided to enroll in aviation mechanic trade school school in Duluth Ga to complete a 2 year program for AM (with avionics, i love electronics). My worries about age are not related to ability, but more about: will anyone hire a new mechanic who is almost 50? I realize with the age I probably would not get up to some high level management job before retirement time, but I just am damn tired of not doing a job I enjoy doing. Seems like I have always just fell into positions and stayed because of pay or benefits. At this point I am willing to work at even half my former salary if I can just get out of bed and think "Today should be a good day" and not hate what I do.

So do you believe I would have trouble getting employed considering my age?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

RHE in Hagerstown, Maryland

54 months ago

Good Morning,
I am 64 with 45 years in the business.
If I were to tell you age descrimination does not exist in aviation , it would be a lie.
What alot of big companies are looking for these days is someone with 30 years experience and 25 years old. I CAN NOT TELL YOU HOW MANY JOBS I MISSED THAT I Was qualified forbecause of my age.
Now not all is lost. The company I work for now is delighted to have me because of my experience, work ethics, and maturity. Don't stay up all night worrying about it.
Another thing you may want to try is contract work. There are good contract companies and there are unfortunately some rreally bad ones. Personally I like contracting with AEROTEK. GREAT PEOPLE TO WORK WITH.
If contracting is not your thing try direct hire. The biggest thing is for you to get your foot in the door so you can get the experience and start working on that resume.
Trust me resume writing and career planning is extremely important these days.
Start networking with people in the business. Most direct hire these days is the result of who you know in that company and work ethics.
Aviation is a small world and word travels fast GOOD AND BAD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

futurer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

53 months ago

i am 31 and want to go to the pia school in myrtle beach but am from hagerstown and there is one there also what can i expect to make after gettin my a and p?

53 months ago

futurer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina said: i am 31 and want to go to the pia school in myrtle beach but am from hagerstown and there is one there also what can i expect to make after gettin my a and p?

No matter what school you go to an A&P is an A&P. I personally have a friend who is an NTSB Chief Inspector in Los Angeles who got his A&P through a correspondance course and how he got it was not important.What you can expect is that you will start at the low to midrange of pay until you gain some experience. I suggest that you get your experience on turbo props aircraft or jet aircraft rather than General Aviation Aircraft. I love the little birds but it is an extremely dificult task to make a great income with them.
Try companies like Dynamic Aviation in Virginia or comparable, commercial aviation
to gain great hands on experience.
I have spent alot of time over the years working for large aerospace corporations eventually leaving because of the Good Ole Boys clubs and the back stabbing that goes on behind the scenes. That's just my personal experience and opinion that is not shared by others
Contract companies are always a good source of employment and opens upalot of doors to you that lead to direct employment with some really great companies like Dynamic.
I hope this helps. Ross

53 months ago

I am sorry but I really did not answer your specfic question about the pay.
Right now the starting pay seems to be around $18 to $21 per hour.
If you go contract its about $18 to $24 per hour plus an average of non taxable per diem of $104 to $140 a day per 5 day week. They general don't pay you per deim for 7 day week even if you work 7 days a week.
Contract jobs are great but remmeber that you are the first to go when the work slows down. When you work contract always be thinking and preparing for your next job.
Its been my experience that contract companies are general tight lipped about pending lay offs probably so they won't alarm their employees. Ross

mr. jingles in Austin, Texas

52 months ago

futurer in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina said: i am 31 and want to go to the pia school in myrtle beach but am from hagerstown and there is one there also what can i expect to make after gettin my a and p?

you can expect many lay-offs and plenty of moving....get out of it..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.