Why is so hard to find A&Ps even during a recession?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

evsimons in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

i am loooking an A & P mechanic position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Seattlepilot in Carmel, Indiana

50 months ago

I finally bit the bullet and hired someone at $25/hr. He is IA in addition to the A&P. I guess we have finally found the right person. I never paid less than $20/hr for an A&P.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David_J in Takoma, Washington

50 months ago

Very Good. Best of look to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

JVN in Seattle, Washington

48 months ago

David_J in Takoma, Washington said: I am an A&P mechanic with years of aircraft experience. The main problem with A&P mechanic jobs in general aviation is the pay is very low, maybe $8.00 to $13.00 per hour. I can’t live on that. So I now work as a diesel mechanic making $25.00 per hour. Can you match that?

$8.00 to $13.00 per hour ? You are not an A&P mechanic. $8.00 what did you do ? vacuum the airplains? That's not A&P mechanic job man.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

citopher in Whippany, New Jersey

47 months ago

I have been looking for a job since October and I keep seeing jobs paying $18-$25/hr. I live in NJ and just can't live on that kind of pay. I have a 4 yr degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology with an A&P and 15 years exp. This seams to me to be taking advantage of a bad situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jak in Flagstaff, Arizona

41 months ago

I just saw an ad for Mesa Airlines lookiing for an A&P for $12 / hr. No thanks. Been there. It's a meat grinder. I left GA 5 years ago with 17 years experience making $14 / hr. Doesn't seem right. Most of us working as A&Ps are telling those interested how we have really been treated. Stay away from aviation. I'm afraid the future of GA is dead. The FAA is killing us...legally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jak in Flagstaff, Arizona

41 months ago

Not trying to be rude but how about treating us with some respect? We are working under difficult conditions, usualling bad hours and low pay. We are always the ones to take the heat from the owners or the FAA. New regulations tie our hands. New technology is thrust upon us with out training. There are few jobs out there that the employee has to lay it all on the line. I regret getting into aviation only due to the lack of respect we get.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rob in Lynnwood, Washington

38 months ago

i got my a&p and have been working on heavy aircraft for the whole time. its ok but i wished i finished off my degree and did something different. if i had to do it over again, ahhhh, i wouldnt.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Viana0525@gmail.com in Flushing, New York

35 months ago

citopher in Whippany, New Jersey said: I have been looking for a job since October and I keep seeing jobs paying $18-$25/hr. I live in NJ and just can't live on that kind of pay. I have a 4 yr degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology with an A&P and 15 years exp. This seams to me to be taking advantage of a bad situation.

Are you still looking. If so email me as I have a job available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Army Vet in Plano, Texas

35 months ago

I am still looking to hire someone to work on my airplane in McKinney Texas.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mavhie Nichols in Enterprise, Alabama

33 months ago

Army Vet in Plano, Texas said: I am still looking to hire someone to work on my airplane in McKinney Texas.

Hi,

my husband just got his A&P mechanic and still looking for a job. If you're still looking for somebody to hire he's available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mavhie Nichols in Enterprise, Alabama

33 months ago

my husband just got his A&P license and still looking for a job. If you're still looking for somebody to hire he's available.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Wyandotte, Michigan

32 months ago

Jak in Flagstaff, Arizona said: Not trying to be rude but how about treating us with some respect? We are working under difficult conditions, usualling bad hours and low pay. We are always the ones to take the heat from the owners or the FAA. New regulations tie our hands. New technology is thrust upon us with out training. There are few jobs out there that the employee has to lay it all on the line. I regret getting into aviation only due to the lack of respect we get.

So true man, after 30 years, it really pisses me off too.

32 months ago

There are more good paying A&P Jobs right now than I have seen in the last 10 years. Granted most want either GA, or CRJ, or Boeing Experience. Some of us have some of all, but if your willing to relocate and you have some sort of experience, you can get hired tomorrow. Go to jsfirms, post your resume, big companies go there and search. Also look on www.aircraftmechanic.org its a free site, and there are many good paying jobs that are hiring NOW. I just accepted a position in Tampa direct hire, 47K to start, all the bennies, plus a 1500 relocation allowance. So I start my new job after 14 years wasted in the Regionals with zero future. !!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

citopher in Whippany, New Jersey said: I have been looking for a job since October and I keep seeing jobs paying $18-$25/hr. I live in NJ and just can't live on that kind of pay. I have a 4 yr degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology with an A&P and 15 years exp. This seams to me to be taking advantage of a bad situation.

Well dude, 25 an hour for Jersey is about right, actually a little above the going rate, especially for entry level with the company. As far as the 4 year av degree, doesnt mean a thing changing a leading edge in the snow and ice at 3am on the ramp with a crap ladder and a speed handle. I have 30 years experience, as well as a good amount of sheetmetal experience, as well as 3 classes for advanced composites, and have worked on everything from 757 to Cherokee 140's. So I can time a mag today, change a cylinder, and tomorrow troubleshoot a DDT shift, our field pays zero for accrued knowledge. I just accepted a job paying a little less than 25 an hour, after wasting 14 years in the regionals, with buyouts, fake BS bankruptcys every 5 to 10 years, pay cuts, drama, 12 an hour starting for the new guys, 10 years to 25 an hour. So if you got offered 25 an hour, either take it, or switch jobs.

Steve
Webmaster
www.aircraftmechanic.org

Viktor in Kiev, Ukraine

32 months ago

Dear! I am a mechanic in Ukraine. I graduated from the Military Academy of the USSR Air Force as a mechanic airframe and engine. Experience 15 years. I'm 40 years old. Now I work in the airline and do maintenance on the aircraft MD. Please contact me if I move to the U.S., how do I continue to work as a mechanic on the aircraft? Or how should I start? What is A&P? How to obtain this qualification?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

A&P is the same as your engineer certs for working on your aircraft. Aside from that, the usual work visa etc would be required

Steve

Viktor in Kiev, Ukraine

32 months ago

If you do not mind I ask you a few questions! You work now? If so, what airline? My parents live in California, in Sacramento. Mother a U.S. citizen. I'm going to move to the U.S. to unite families and to prepare documents. Can I count on a job in any airline. And what is needed, what would work in the U.S., as a mechanic aircraft. I am forty years old and it's not too late to start for the USA? Have you heard anything about DynCorp?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Viktor in Kiev, Ukraine

32 months ago

Steve in Wyandotte, Michigan said: Victor, go to the mechanics website, it has many many people to help me answer the questions, I administrate the website, so send me an email and I will register you www.aircraftmechanic.org

I am sending my e-mail: vitya_mayor@mail.ru

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ramon in Querétaro, Mexico

31 months ago

Viktor in Kiev, Ukraine said: I am sending my e-mail: vitya_mayor@mail.ru

hey Viktor I am Mexican A&p mechanic and avionic's tech. I am married to an Ukranian lady and we want to move to Kiev so I can finally really learn Russian and she is able to be close to her mom I do like the idea I have always liked you guys but to tell the truth I am a little bit afraid about this because of the language and also I do not know if I could work there with my certifications wich are FAA A&P and also ICAO type II Mexican avionic's and mechanic licences, I have 15 years of experience, have live and work in England , Belgium, and Jordan, I have flown the world as aircraft on board mechanic, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Ramon

Greg in Rio Vista, California

27 months ago

A&P Still looking for work. gcpab@frontiernet.net

Done with the low wages in Vancouver, British Columbia

26 months ago

Seattlepilot in Carmel, Indiana said: I finally bit the bullet and hired someone at $25/hr. He is IA in addition to the A&P. I guess we have finally found the right person. I never paid less than $20/hr for an A&P.

You get what you pay for. A/P's are getting out of the business. You're lucky to find one willing to work for such a lousy wage!

john in Valencia, California

22 months ago

Viktor in Kiev, Ukraine said: Dear! I am a mechanic in Ukraine. I graduated from the Military Academy of the USSR Air Force as a mechanic airframe and engine. Experience 15 years. I'm 40 years old. Now I work in the airline and do maintenance on the aircraft MD. Please contact me if I move to the U.S., how do I continue to work as a mechanic on the aircraft? Or how should I start? What is A&P? How to obtain this qualification?

You go back to school here and get your FAA A@p license..your knowledge back home will get you a job here but would make less than half of what an A@p would typically make

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

john in Tulsa, Oklahoma

12 months ago

Steve in Wyandotte, Michigan said: There are more good paying A&P Jobs right now than I have seen in the last 10 years. Granted most want either GA, or CRJ, or Boeing Experience. Some of us have some of all, but if your willing to relocate and you have some sort of experience, you can get hired tomorrow. Go to jsfirms, post your resume, big companies go there and search. Also look on www.aircraftmechanic.org its a free site, and there are many good paying jobs that are hiring NOW. I just accepted a position in Tampa direct hire, 47K to start, all the bennies, plus a 1500 relocation allowance. So I start my new job after 14 years wasted in the Regionals with zero future. !!!!!!!!

yeah, a good job being one that despite working jacked up hours/days off, twisted-up like a pretzel, being exposed daily to chemicals and dust that will eventually make you die young or stupid, and is a profession being slammed by globalization all for a nomadic life that pays so poorly it will qualify you for food stamps.... Don't listen to this contract employment jerk.

Morgan in Woodbridge, Virginia

6 months ago

why is it so hard for beginners like myself,who just got my A/P license to find work everybody has to start somewhere but noone seems to want to hire..I'm willing to relocate and all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

mhayes in Jacksonville, Florida

5 months ago

Warning! WARNING !
Save your money, go into psychology. With all the PTSD coming back to the states you will be rich by the time you are 40 and there will be plenty of money from the ACA.
With sequestration kicking in in Jan there will be LESS aerospace jobs than EVER. Congress has ruined this country with that great idea.
Stay away from the aerospace industry. Just check the job boards, if you don't have 3-5 years experience on a particular aircraft you just wasted 30k and 3 years on a useless trade school. Employers will always look for something to not pay you for. And IF you get in they will lay you off whenever they can. Then when you go back after 3 or more years they want to know if your license is VALID ! Huh ? No is yours? STUPID PEOPLE DON"T EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! They will treat you like you never put in 30,000 hours of training. It doesn't matter to them its never enough for the flatliners. Then they think you should know every system out there and if they have to train you then YOUR incompetent. gosh really, save yourself the depression and the money. You will be sorry unless your daddy owns the airline.

Expect HR depts who make you an offer then NEVER get back to you or respond to emails.
A&P's have been USED AND ABUSED by the industry for years and its getting worst - gone are the days of good pay and a decent job. now - NO RESPECT AT ALL. Turbine engine inspector makes 36k and the companies make billions. Just read how great they are doing on their websites. A good old boys club on steroids. They want to pay you 15.00 an hour when you' re worth 50k - 100k. They think after a few years of being out of the trade or if you cross train to survive that you FORGOT what you learned! idiots.
Ask somebody who has a BS degree if their degree is still VALID. Maybe they forgot. STAY AWAY if you can. SAVE YOUR MONEY Get a education people will respect. Become a hedge fund manager and screw the world, you're better off

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.