What do you enjoy most about your aircraft mechanic career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being an aircraft mechanic? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

lac in Kecskemét, Hungary

80 months ago

Yes it is a challenging,however in this way you can stay in good
condition.I like my job,I work on the flight line and
I am an aircraft engine and airframe mechanik in hungary.Usually I work with MiG29 and L39 since
2001.By our unit there are some opportunites to learn, such as language courses,cross servicing training abroad...And not mention,we start the change of the aircraft.sum it up,this is a very good job and lifestyle.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SBLam in Washington, District of Columbia

78 months ago

Hi
would you please give some interview tips for a & p mechanic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

13 year veteran in Las Vegas, Nevada

77 months ago

What I used to like the most was just working on planes. Loved doing it. What I dislike the most is the pressure to do thinks the cheap way. More and more pressure to save money, not do something till next check. The job is very challenging. Planes are getting older so more troubleshooting needed, and as stated above, more pressure to do things faster / cheaper. Lots of opportunities to learn. Very little opportunity to advance.

What keeps me in it? I can't afford to change careers! Most of the mechanics I know that have 5, 10,15, or more years in, all say they wished they chose a different field. Just look at the history of the major airlines. Hiring, layoffs, call backs, layoffs, call backs, layoffs. I have been fortunate enough to have never been laid off. But lots of my friends have. Hard to keep a family when you don't know if your going to have a steady job!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.