How do you get experience?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

575 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

59 months ago

i think you the nail on the head, aviation was good around the 70's and 80's. not any more. i would advice any body to go into this field anymore. i have been in aviation for the last 30 years those were good years not anymore. unless you get a job in the airlines and then again you're sure you'll work till retirement, so it's a losing cause. jose martinez

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

Timothy- in Oakland, California

59 months ago

David, You mean to say that new aircraft mechanics have to work for free for a few years to get experience. How are the bills going to get paid? Who is going to pay off the student loads for the A&P schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

575 in Albuquerque, New Mexico

59 months ago

WELL WHAT DAVID TRYING T SAY, OR LET ME PUT IT THIS WAY. WHEN I STARTED ON AVIATION I WAS PAINTING AIRPLANES FOR THIS COMPANY I WAS WORKING FOR, SO ONE THE COMPANY SAID TO ME, WE'RE CLOSING THE PAINT SHOP CAUSE OSHA CLOSE THEM DOWN. SO THEY ME YOU CAN WORK UNTIL YOU GET A NEW JOB OR WORK FOR YOUR A&P LICENSE. SO I SAID OK, I STARTED DOING SOME OIL CHANGES, REMOVING PANELS, AND THEN I BOUGHT THE BOOKS I NEEDED TO TAKE MY TEST,I STUDY THOSE BOOKS FOR 18 MONTHS TOOK MY TEST AND PASSED IT. SO I THINK THAT WHATS DAVID TO SAY, I THINK SO. JOSE MARTINEZ.1349

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Franklin Holbrook in Seattle, Washington

59 months ago

These people don't know what they are talking about.

Apply for ATS "Aviation Technical Services" out of Everett, WA

Apply for Boeing: Aviation Maintenance Technician & Inspector Field -97106
Aviation Maintenance Technician & Flight test -C2709

You better get ready to RELOCATE -if you're willing to do that you can MAKE MONEY & gain experience.

Thats the bottom line.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Franklin Holbrook in Seattle, Washington

59 months ago

Also, if you're from michigan you most likely went to the same school I did -MIOA aka Michigan Institute of Aviation & Tech. Talk to Amy Kienast

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

James in Newport News, Virginia

55 months ago

bwitt in Southfield, Michigan said: Got A&P license one year ago and have been unable to get a job in the field because of no experience. Any suggestions on how to get experience in the field?

Depending on your age the best experience can be gained by enlisting in the military. I have over 30 years experience working on CH-47 Helicopters. 20 years active duty and over 10 years instructing for the U.S. Army. I just returned from Iraq. There are plenty of aircraft mechanic jobs out there once you get the experience. the Army, Air force, Navy and Marines all operate aircraft and have excellent training schools for the specific types. You will gain lots of experience and the pay and benefits are not bad. Just be willing to work hard and be seperated from family and friends for a year or so at a time. If the military isn't right for you after your first enlistment you can get out and get a good job from the experience you gained while serving your country. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

dom_dj

45 months ago

Look around for companies who hire low time people, they are out there. You will likely have to relocate and get paid little for a year or so until you either move up or get enough experience to move on. Those who said aviation is dead, maybe for the airlines, but there is a lot of private and/or small medium companies hurrting for mechanics. Check out Dynamic Aviation in Virginia even.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Vish in Rockport, Texas

40 months ago

American eagle is hiring in Abilene texas, they are opening a new doc and hiring tons of people with out experience give it a try. Tip they look for people who do well on the test they give

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shanies in Panama City, Florida

38 months ago

575 in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: i think you the nail on the head, aviation was good around the 70's and 80's. not any more. i would advice any body to go into this field anymore. i have been in aviation for the last 30 years those were good years not anymore. unless you get a job in the airlines and then again you're sure you'll work till retirement, so it's a losing cause. jose martinez

Who`s chain have you been pulling there is a lot of Aviation jobs out there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

shanies in Panama City, Florida

38 months ago

James in Newport News, Virginia said: Depending on your age the best experience can be gained by enlisting in the military. I have over 30 years experience working on CH-47 Helicopters. 20 years active duty and over 10 years instructing for the U.S. Army. I just returned from Iraq. There are plenty of aircraft mechanic jobs out there once you get the experience. the Army, Air force, Navy and Marines all operate aircraft and have excellent training schools for the specific types. You will gain lots of experience and the pay and benefits are not bad. Just be willing to work hard and be seperated from family and friends for a year or so at a time. If the military isn't right for you after your first enlistment you can get out and get a good job from the experience you gained while serving your country. Good luck!

Try Aerotec they are looking for aircraft Mechanic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

George in Newport News, Virginia

37 months ago

James in Newport News, Virginia said: Depending on your age the best experience can be gained by enlisting in the military. I have over 30 years experience working on CH-47 Helicopters. 20 years active duty and over 10 years instructing for the U.S. Army. I just returned from Iraq. There are plenty of aircraft mechanic jobs out there once you get the experience. the Army, Air force, Navy and Marines all operate aircraft and have excellent training schools for the specific types. You will gain lots of experience and the pay and benefits are not bad. Just be willing to work hard and be seperated from family and friends for a year or so at a time. If the military isn't right for you after your first enlistment you can get out and get a good job from the experience you gained while serving your country. Good luck!

I am just about to wrap up my army training at ft. eustis for mos 15u ch-47 repairer. I also have a commercial flight instructor certificate in helicopters rated in the r22, r44, and schweizer 300 cbi. I live and breath aviation. I'm in the NG and my ultimate plan is to fly the chanook. Though what I want to do first is to get some experience working on them and also find a civilian job working on either them or some other aircraft (preferably helicopters). I do want to get my a&p license and I want to finish up a bachelors degree. I know that's a long road ahead of me but if I can, I'd like to hold off on the a&p and degree. So that's my background and my future plans, but my question to you is how hireable do you think I am for a helicopter mechanic job right out of ait? Also, I know this is old news but for me it's new, but there's good money to be made as a mechanic overseas. Is it possible to work a job like that and fly home once a month for my drill? Would they hire someone like me? And last, if there are jobs for someone like me with little experience and no a&p license, where could I find them?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Apo

34 months ago

George in Newport News, Virginia said: I am just about to wrap up my army training at ft. eustis for mos 15u ch-47 repairer. I also have a commercial flight instructor certificate in helicopters rated in the r22, r44, and schweizer 300 cbi. I live and breath aviation. I'm in the NG and my ultimate plan is to fly the chanook. Though what I want to do first is to get some experience working on them and also find a civilian job working on either them or some other aircraft (preferably helicopters). I do want to get my a&p license and I want to finish up a bachelors degree. I know that's a long road ahead of me but if I can, I'd like to hold off on the a&p and degree. So that's my background and my future plans, but my question to you is how hireable do you think I am for a helicopter mechanic job right out of ait? Also, I know this is old news but for me it's new, but there's good money to be made as a mechanic overseas. Is it possible to work a job like that and fly home once a month for my drill? Would they hire someone like me? And last, if there are jobs for someone like me with little experience and no a&p license, where could I find them?

Like James, I, too, was a 67U/15U Chinook mechanic....and I taught in the school house from 2006 to 2008 (I probably know or knew James)...I am currently @ Camp Taji, Iraq....I can tell you that the chances of you getting hired on by any company is not so good...the economy isn't great...so experienced mechs are taking low paying jobs...normally filled by entry level or apprentice mechs...you have no choice but to wait on the A&P as you will either need an FAA A&P course of instruction or several years of maint exp in the military to qualify...there are the occassional entry level positions out there...but you will be looking at extremely low wages...maybe $12 to $15/hr at the most but you may have to be willing to relocate...and given that you have a NG committment...may not be possible..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Apo

34 months ago

George in Newport News, Virginia said: I am just about to wrap up my army training at ft. eustis for mos 15u ch-47 repairer. I also have a commercial flight instructor certificate in helicopters rated in the r22, r44, and schweizer 300 cbi. I live and breath aviation. I'm in the NG and my ultimate plan is to fly the chanook. Though what I want to do first is to get some experience working on them and also find a civilian job working on either them or some other aircraft (preferably helicopters). I do want to get my a&p license and I want to finish up a bachelors degree. I know that's a long road ahead of me but if I can, I'd like to hold off on the a&p and degree. So that's my background and my future plans, but my question to you is how hireable do you think I am for a helicopter mechanic job right out of ait? Also, I know this is old news but for me it's new, but there's good money to be made as a mechanic overseas. Is it possible to work a job like that and fly home once a month for my drill? Would they hire someone like me? And last, if there are jobs for someone like me with little experience and no a&p license, where could I find them?

I say I agree with James though...ur best bet is in the military...go active....but you may try and get a little time in with ur NG unit and then apply for a tech position or AGR spot...if you go active...get a couple of years exp as a mech...then apply for the Pilot Warrant Officer program...if selected...you will become a fully qualified military pilot...gain many flight hours...esp if you get deployed...and then take ur time as a 15U to qualify you to take the A&P...that coupled with the pilot exp...and if u make MTP (Maint Test Pilot)...u will be very employable...and it could turn out to be fairly lucrative...the former 160th pilots who fly for the UAE are making over $400k/year

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John in Apo

34 months ago

David_J in Takoma, Washington said: To get back to the original question. The only way to get experience nowadays is to volunteer your services to a church that owns an aircraft for foreign missionary work. I have seen them advertising for volunteers from time to time. But you will have to be persistent, there are a lot of desperate A & P mechanics out there. Desperate to get experience, that is.

This is ridiculous..you don't need to volunteer...there are entry level jobs...but they are few and far between at times and pay low wages..esp with the economy the way it is...you will most likely have to relocate...but your best option is to get it in the military...also try looking on JSFIRM...this is an aviation job board...and they have tons of openings all over the place...some overseas positions...which depending on your age...maybe desirable...don't get discouraged ...a lot of the jobs require exp...but as I said...there are a few that want entry level or apprentice type candidates...in order to increase your chances of placement i would also look at getting some Manufacturer training..Eurocopter (EC135)...Bell (212/412)...or Sikorsky (S61, S76, S92) are probably ur best bet..EC and Bell have training info on their websites (their courses are in Forth Worth)..Sikorsky uses FlightSafety International as their trainers...if you get some training..employers may overlook some exp requirements

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mourad in Malden, Massachusetts

33 months ago

hi im really scart im going to study at school to get A&p i dont wanna lost 14 month from my life for nothing i dont wanna spend money for nothing when i read this comment my feeling going down guys plz help if u know something about future for aircraft mechanic

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

John Janiszewski in Chesaning, Michigan

33 months ago

Try building experience by working in fields related to aviation. I used this technique while attending Ben Davis in Detroit Michigan. I worked for a Non Destructive Testing company which tested parts for flaws. Technically this wasn't A&P work but it did help create a resume and make me more valuable to my employer. Also you can look for other aviation related industries such as manufacturing. Many companies have testing labs for their products in which case you can be a test technician. Look for a part 145 repair station, many of these component repair shops do not necessarily require an A&P but it will look good on your resume. Find local FBOs or aircraft service companies such as AVFlight and inquire about work as a fueler or baggage handler or anything else they may have. Join the National Guard. Units that are utilizing the LUH-72 are actually setting soldiers up to get the A&P. Use indeed jobs.com to search for jobs in your area. Search "aircraft" or "aviation" to find related job postings.

I would advise against the "working for the Church that has an airplane" technique unless your primary goal is charity. Besides, how many churches do you know of own aircraft?

Above all else, remain positive and always be willing to meet new people and strike up a conversation. This is a small group of professionals so it helps to meet people. Do not listen to the crotchety old airline mechanics that tell you there is no work and no hope. For some reason, I have never met a airline mechanic that enjoyed life, everyone of them is pissed off at the world. It may take a long time before some one finally see yours potential. In the mean time, find work in somewhat related fields. Being willing to travel helps in this industry as previously mentioned. Continue to keep up with the industry after graduating A&P by signing up for free aircraft maintenance industry magazines. learn more at my blog www.myaandplicense.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deon B in North Miami Beach, Florida

33 months ago

I just got an interview with PSA. I will have to relocate to Charlotte, NC. I'm like you Ineed to get experienced.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ICESTRONG in Marietta, Georgia

24 months ago

I finished A & P school last February. I still don't have the A&P License and I still haven't found an Entry Level Position here close to Marietta, Georiga. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jayavardhan gilla in India

24 months ago

situation of a aircraft technicians in india is very much pathetic i suggest not to spoil your career by choosing a field which is very much volatile & hard to predict whats next...those fortunate to get jobs are paid by airlines get mere 4000(80$)per month which is far less than what an unskilled daily wage labour gets...but still thousands are waiting & are ready to work unaid for years together to gain experience..after reading above comments i came to know that world over situation is same...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mmosher in Chicago, Illinois

23 months ago

I currently am recruiting Helicopter mechanics for a contract in Afghanistan. One year contract, competitive pay, immediate start dates. Please contact me if you are interested. mmosher@aerotek.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lou in Dothan, Alabama

23 months ago

mmosher What are the reqirments? I got my A&P last Aug. but no experiance yet.I dont mind going back ot the sand box

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Greg.Sagram in Leesville, Louisiana

22 months ago

I have my A&P along with over 4 years with working on Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawks in the military. I have a deployment under my belt and served as a crew chief in Afghanistan. I have applied for PHI, Era Helicopters, Bristow, and RLC. What are my chances of being picked up by one of these companes with my background? I got my A&P in Sept of 2012 just recently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Modesto, California

22 months ago

So here is how its been for me...
-Went into the Army, 15 series (helicopter mechanic) for 6 years, deployments, awards, honorable discharge.
-Went to A&P school at a local college for a year. (my Army experience only qualified me for airframe test)
-Graduated with honors and easily passed my certification tests.
-Been looking for a job everywhere for the last 9 months. Highest offer I received was $9/hr, no benefits, and I had to commute. That and the National Guard which paid $20/hr but I would for sure be going back to Afghanistan.

I did everything I was supposed to do and I have absolutely nothing to show for it. Maybe others are having better luck but I know I have all but given up on it. I can't afford to work for years only making $9/hr.

One bit of advice I can give if you are still in the military is to do everything you can to try and get your secret or top secret clearance. It seems the only people paying anything close to a living wage in aviation is military contractors. They want people with clearances already because its a huge expense for them to pay for someone to get it. It is a definite plus on any application.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

struggling waitress in Lafayette, Louisiana

17 months ago

Greg.Sagram in Leesville, Louisiana said: I have my A&P along with over 4 years with working on Sikorsky UH-60 Blackhawks in the military. I have a deployment under my belt and served as a crew chief in Afghanistan . I have applied for PHI, Era Helicopters, Bristow, and RLC. What are my chances of being picked up by one of these companes with my background? I got my A&P in Sept of 2012 just recently.

Make sure if you go to phi you are not related to anyone. My husband lost his job with them for being related to my dad who also works for the company. And that is the true reason. He's been having his license since 2011 and still has found nothing. We really are struggling because of that heartless company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Grand Prairie, Texas

9 months ago

Listen, the people looking on this page are obviously having problems finding work. If your not willing to move to where the work is or your not willing to get the certifications your not going to have much luck. Its harder every day to have the American dream, its still possible but you have to work for it. Life is not easy. So suck it up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.