Are Animator job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most Animator opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

OutOfWork in Bellevue, Washington

72 months ago

Declining, unless your a VERY technical person (rigging/skinning ect) a lot of companies prefer to do Motion Capture and you will be editing it (if your lucky) otherwise there's not much need for keyframe skills in games now. It sucks I know..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Ferd in Redwood City, California

72 months ago

This depends on several factors; Your skill level, location, experience, which industry (games, movies, tv, etc.).

Contrary to pessimistic belief, keyframe animation is alive and well. No, motion capture did not kill the traditional artistics methods.

The ability to land jobs highly depends on your skill level, industry, and more importantly, location - if you wanna work in movies and a lot of the studios are in CA, but you live in Washington, then that will make things a little difficult.

I myself came from Chicago, where animation jobs in general are pretty slim pickins'... I made a choice to find a job out in the Bay area and move there. I've also worked in NY, where animation work is predominantly in TV or commercials.

If you've done your homework, you'll find there are still a lot of game studios doing keyframe animation for games. Insomniac, Doubl Fine, Naughty Dog to name a few... are they hiring right now? Well, that's something for the prospective animator to find out and research.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Brams in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise?

As stated by the department of labor,
www.bls.gov/oco/ocos092.htm#projections_data
it seems that de demand for computer animator will increase.

Host said: Are there any sub-sectors that are growing? Where are the jobs? Which places have the most Animator opportunities?

Moreover as a computer animator you'll have much more opportunities than to become a "simple" multi-media artist. You can have a look to many other areas that employ computer animators, such as television, advertising, web, medical, forensics, and so on. You can have a look at this article where I took this information.
www.design-training.com/computer-animation/a/does-computer-animation-apply-to-other-fields-of-study.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.