Overworked and underpaid???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

brokenback in Naples, Florida

80 months ago

Just wondering if I'm the only one that feels he is overworked and underpaid for the work we do. I mean we need to be able to work on anything from the repetitive to the mind bending and in most cases get rewarded very little for the amount of work we really do,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ungusb in Corydon, Indiana

68 months ago

brokenback in Naples, Florida said: Just wondering if I'm the only one that feels he is overworked and underpaid for the work we do. I mean we need to be able to work on anything from the repetitive to the mind bending and in most cases get rewarded very little for the amount of work we really do,

I would have to say yes to your question. After being in the apartment maintenance buisness for over 24 years, I have seen the pay scale remain slow to keep up. After all, with the increase in the skill levels that is required to work with in the laws and regulations that have been passed in the last few years, it is time for management companies to start paying for what they get.

I am sure that, if all the maintenance persons in this business would stop selling themselves short and taking the bones that the management companies are offering as pay, we could as a whole, increase the moneys that they are offering.

However, how can we get all the maintenance persons in agreement on this subject? The lack of organization and representation is a problem.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

westmoreland in Oak Creek, Wisconsin

56 months ago

The problem is once you start making 16+ an hour they know there are other maint workers who they can hire for less money who will do it for that money. Making 20 an hour, you pretty much are making more than the manager and they do not like that. The problem is even if you are highly skilled, dedicated and save the property tons of money because of the things you can fix instead of calling contractors, they think they can replace you with someone who will do it cheaper but then they find out they need 2 employees to replace you which is double insurance benefits they have to pay and they find the two cant fix things like you and are paying more to outside contractors. The good thin g is that there are many job openings for this job and if you are in that lead maintenance range you will easily find work, its just how long will it last, usually 2-3 years until someone new comes in and dont see the whole picture.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jwillis562 in Hemet, California

54 months ago

Westmorland nailed it. I worked for an atlanta based REIT for 3 years. We (maint) are truly the unsung heros. Assuming that along with superior hvac, pooperscooper skills, and the prerequisite people skills. I believe SM's should be grossing around 45 -55k annually plus quarterly and renewal bonuses. I maxed out 3 yrs ago at 24.13/hr and believe I priced myself out of a job. Im back to work now with a great company but took a 4.13/hr hit for my troubles. Yes, I am grateful to be working at all!

Someone who knows apt maintenance needs to sleep with someone that is with organized labor, such as Teamsters, AFL-CIO, Hotelworkers (etc) Unions, and consider our situation. See if its feasable for our brothers to organize. We really have NO representaion. I would LOVE to see a national MULTIFAMILY HOUSING UNION.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.