Abusive/Blackmailing Apartment Manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (40)

Mark in Redmond, Washington

76 months ago

I have a family member who is living in an apartment complex and they are having serious problems with their manager. He is, from what I have experienced and heard, very childish in his ways as well as abusive to my family. He has made sexual advances to my 17 year old sister with comments like "How about you and me get it on" " Why don't you come over to my place and have a good time" and this is coming from a 40-50 year old man. When my family told him they would report him he threatened to give them the absolute worst recommendation he could think of and get them kicked out which would make them lose their housing funding. He likes to get into your face to make you feel smaller than him. I have no clue what to do aside from confronting him which would either end up with me in handcuffs or making things worse for my family. He should not be an apartment manager, let alone a manager of anything, and I am here to ask for guidance on how to expose this guy for what a scum bag he is. Anything you guys could recommend I do would be really appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sympathetic in Tacoma, Washington

72 months ago

I am (or shall I say "we" are) having a similar problem but this is a woman. A woman who resembles a silver-back gorilla. This woman has made old people cry. She's accused an old woman of smelling up the apartment complex, then threatening to call the Health Dept. on her and have her kicked out. Then she gossiped to all the tenants and told them that the woman was an alcoholic and pees her pants, etc. This is a TRUE story! She also singles people out and harasses them. Additionally, I've swept up lint balls with more intelligence than her. I have decided to write a petition and I am having all the tenants sign it to get rid of her. I just started yesterday and already have 4 signatures. If this dick wad really is as bad as you say, get him fired. If you all agree that if the Owner doesn't fire him, you'll all quit paying rent, the Owner HAS to agree. It's much easier to hire a new Manager than to try and scrape together 3 months rent from every tenant until he can find new ones. You have 60 to 90 days to get evicted as I understand it. I'm looking into this right now because we've had it. From name-calling, bothering people for no good reason late at night, begging for food, barging into apartments without knocking or calling first, speading gossip about other tenants, working when they are collecting disability and has a lawsuit pending because they supposedly can't do physical work. (She pulls weeds and sweeps the grounds for hours while dragging a 25 gallon garbage can around.) Shooting them between the eyes is a felony. Get him fired.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

108051 in Long Pond, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Mark in Redmond, Washington said: I have a family member who is living in an apartment complex and they are having serious problems with their manager. He is, from what I have experienced and heard, very childish in his ways as well as abusive to my family. He has made sexual advances to my 17 year old sister with comments like "How about you and me get it on" " Why don't you come over to my place and have a good time" and this is coming from a 40-50 year old man. When my family told him they would report him he threatened to give them the absolute worst recommendation he could think of and get them kicked out which would make them lose their housing funding. He likes to get into your face to make you feel smaller than him. I have no clue what to do aside from confronting him which would either end up with me in handcuffs or making things worse for my family. He should not be an apartment manager, let alone a manager of anything, and I am here to ask for guidance on how to expose this guy for what a scum bag he is. Anything you guys could recommend I do would be really appreciated.

Just try videotaping get other witnesses or other people that have experienced the same situation before with him

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Long Pond, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

Get help quick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Cincinnati, Ohio

69 months ago

Have your niece go to the police and file charges. It is illegal for an adult to solicit a minor for sex. If the landlord attempts to retaliate, file a fair housing complaint and a sexual harrassment complaint with HUD and the Civil Rights Commission. He has also broken fair housing law by threatening you for participating in a protected action (reporting sexual harrassment) Don't feel like you have to be subversive in your actions. As a resident, you have more power than this guy and once you have engaged the assistance of the correct authorities, he will no doubt disappear.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

desertstar55 in Palm Desert, California

69 months ago

people just think they can get away with anything
prove them wrong

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

desertstar55 in Palm Desert, California

69 months ago

i confronted my owners, they told me i would loose money if they had to pay a bookkeeper to do a regular pay check and they wont absorb the cost, and my hours and what i do is to be logged, thats what ive been doing. but the 1099 thing so wrong, i am an employee and they dont want to pay me min wage and pay into my taxes, im tired of fighting with them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kimberly_bunch in Richland, Washington

64 months ago

The manager in the above statement also makes a lot of mistakes on her office managing and will send out violation letters to tenets based on her own error and not the tenets. With notices that the tenet hasn't complied with terms. All hogwash. That has happened twice to me since she has been managing. She screws up and I have to show proof of her mistake or just let it slide even after she sends threatening rental agreement violation letters. It has been three times in less then a year of getting these crazy letters of threatening termination. It is as if she just doesn't like someone and decides she's going to get rid of them based on nonsense. What can I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kimberly_bunch in E. Wenatchee, Washington

64 months ago

It says I am in Richland but I am in East Wenatchee, WA.. By the way, just to clarify... the last time the manager sent the notice to comply or move out in 10 days was yesterday which makes it the third error in sending this type of letter to me. The other two times were her over-site in the office which lead her to give me them. Stupid stuff I know. She says it is policy to give those out but I have never ever had a manager or landlord give me one before and she gives them out left and right obviously.

Thank you for any advice I can get for handling an ignorant manager's abusive of power trip.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

T in Modesto, California

64 months ago

If you arent guilty, then you should have no problem responding to her requests. I give my tenants written warnings that they have to respond to me in writing within two days. Some apologize for breaking a rule and some deny that they broke the rule, and some try to justify why they broke the rule. Communication is key with Mgr/Tenant relationships. Until you walk a mile in an apartment manager's shoes, you shouldnt be so quick to judge her, it's not an easy job to keep a complex safe, free of drug traffic and uphold peaceful enjoyment of the premises for all that pay to live in their apartment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

T

64 months ago

We don't allow our 8 yr old children out on the grounds without parent supervision. This is for the safety of the child. If you are watching your child and making sure he's behaving and not messing up the landscaping or being noisy in front of other tenant's windows or leaving trash on the ground.... then your so called false accusations should cease. A lot of parents don't realize how destructive their little angels are when they are outside "playing". I'm sure you read the rules before you signed your lease. Our rules state that children have to be supervised, do yours? Maybe your landlord is trying to give you the hint that you need to watch your child. We just had an 8 yr old kidnapped and found stuffed in a suitcase in an irrigation ditch, it only takes a second. Maybe your situation with this manager is a wake up call for you to be a more proactive parent?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

Very good idea to be out there viewing but my child is not the only child on the grounds playing. There are a lot of kids in this small town that play outside. I will supervise the children if that eliminates the problem.

Thank you for your opinion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

T in Modesto, California said: If you arent guilty, then you should have no problem responding to her requests. I give my tenants written warnings that they have to respond to me in writing within two days. Some apologize for breaking a rule and some deny that they broke the rule, and some try to justify why they broke the rule. Communication is key with Mgr/Tenant relationships. Until you walk a mile in an apartment manager's shoes, you shouldnt be so quick to judge her, it's not an easy job to keep a complex safe, free of drug traffic and uphold peaceful enjoyment of the premises for all that pay to live in their apartment.

Obviously you are viewing the situation strictly from your situation(s); but I do agree that there is stress involved with managing an apt. I just don't like my child singled out. And all her mistakes in writing which she made in error that doesn't fly to well. You don't make mistakes and then act like it is nothing-- no big deal. I made appointments, paid rent and she would screw up on her books not once but twice. Besides wrongfully accusing my son. I guess I better police the building huh? When my kid is out there from the harassment from the hungry managers. *Tenets do have rights even though some wish not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

The Truth Hurts in Bay City, Michigan

62 months ago

T said: We don't allow our 8 yr old children out on the grounds without parent supervision. This is for the safety of the child. If you are watching your child and making sure he's behaving and not messing up the landscaping or being noisy in front of other tenant's windows or leaving trash on the ground.... then your so called false accusations should cease. A lot of parents don't realize how destructive their little angels are when they are outside "playing". I'm sure you read the rules before you signed your lease. Our rules state that children have to be supervised, do yours? Maybe your landlord is trying to give you the hint that you need to watch your child. We just had an 8 yr old kidnapped and found stuffed in a suitcase in an irrigation ditch, it only takes a second. Maybe your situation with this manager is a wake up call for you to be a more proactive parent?

O-boy do I agree with you. Parents should be outside with their children. This is for safety reasons as well. How do you know if your child is hurt or taken. Not to mention, children should not play any place other then the playground. When a parent is not around, children are running all over. In front of other apartments, getting into the dumpsters, and starting fires. Hmm.. As a manager I believe the safety of all of the residence including your child is more important then someone getting upset because they think their child is being blamed for things. Obviously there is reason for the blaming. Rather it be some other resident tell the manager that it was your child or so on. Anyway the manager has a hard job and it is your responsibility to make sure your child is not the one starting fires and leaving trash on the grounds or invading others privacy and the right to a quiet living environment. If you can't except the fact that there are rules that need to be followed while living in a apartment complex, then move into a house. It's that easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Luckily for me right after my problem with the behavior of the manager here she got fired! I didn't even have to tell the company that hired her the trouble I was having with her. I didn't have any time to. They got rid of her quick --thank the good lord!

A couple days after I submitted my troubles on here then I heard she was fired! Nobody knows why she was fired but I would bet it was because of her behavior more than anything. She acted like a cut throat even to innocent people. Shocking but true.

The new manager is awesome and kind. She seems to be spiritually enlightened. Sometimes all it takes is someone to be sort of easy going, and respect others for things to work out just fine. Patience and honesty always wins out in the long run.

Anyways, my situation has been resolved thanks to a hire power! Justice wins out!

Thanks for every-ones comments and suggestions.

Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lashayla in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

62 months ago

Mark in Redmond, Washington said: I have a family member who is living in an apartment complex and they are having serious problems with their manager. He is, from what I have experienced and heard, very childish in his ways as well as abusive to my family. He has made sexual advances to my 17 year old sister with comments like "How about you and me get it on" " Why don't you come over to my place and have a good time" and this is coming from a 40-50 year old man. When my family told him they would report him he threatened to give them the absolute worst recommendation he could think of and get them kicked out which would make them lose their housing funding. He likes to get into your face to make you feel smaller than him. I have no clue what to do aside from confronting him which would either end up with me in handcuffs or making things worse for my family. He should not be an apartment manager, let alone a manager of anything, and I am here to ask for guidance on how to expose this guy for what a scum bag he is. Anything you guys could recommend I do would be really appreciated.

check out Community Advocates, they handle landlords who may be out of line in all types of situations. Community Advocates located @ 4906 w Fond du Lac here in Milwaukee Wi, phone is their number is in the book or check online

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Report him to everyone you can above him / a higher authority. To the owner of the building, Section Eight office (if you guys are on HUD), check out the Fair Housing discrimination site to file a report, file a police report. The options are limitless to making him stop.

Don't stand by and be a victim. Also google information, do research for your options.

ON here I notice that you will get replies mainly one sided that usually are for the manager. Strange but I have found that more times than not-- except for sexual harassment claims.

It seems as though a bunch of Apt. managers are replying on here lol. I am a renter and have gone through my own little hell from am apt. manager. So seek out help until you get exactly what you need. Don't give up. Justice wins out in the long run. Just don't take action into your own hands. And have faith in a higher power...it does help.

Hollywood Landlord in Los Angeles, California

62 months ago

This is despicable behavior for any individual but it is ILLEGAL for him to make any kind of sexual advances towards a minor. From your post, it seems like he is your manager and not necessarily the owner of the building. If this is the case, you need to document (put in writing) every comment he has made and makes with the date, exactly what was said and where.

You can then find the owner of the building if you don't already have his address and send him a certified letter stating everything you have written down. This man should be fired immediately.

Good luck and I am sorry for your situation.

Stirling Gardner
(aka Hollywood Landlord)
www.EZLandlordForms.com

A Friend in San Diego, California

62 months ago

Sorry to hear of your problem. It is not uncommon that we bump (not to mention live next door to)into people without a conscience. And this is what your family member is up against. BUT... all is not lost. These people do have a weakness that you can exployt. The first thing you should know is that his life plan is to make everyone elses hell. Yet he will most-likely do the very opposite that you want/or ask him to do. He is also bored beyond belief (this is why his kind get into trouble so frequently).
This is what you do... you create a story saying that there were a couple of cops asking questions about him being related to a cold-case. You just say that you don't know anything and that you are not interested in getting involved in a crimminal investigation. But before you go, let him know that it would be UNwise to leave town any-time soon.
Good Luck!

Skully in Kennewick, Washington

58 months ago

Yes here at HERRON LAKE APT
we have a lady named Gladys who sings until 3-4 am and she is the "property manager"!! Yes the cops have been called on her.
She pretends to be nice but then when you least expect it she
starts making you worry.

There are many here who have seen her take cash and she is not suppose to take cash!! She might not even by licensed or bonded which is a requirement in washington state.

She was trying to tell a handicapped woman that she would have to pay 20.00 extra a month for handicapped parking!!

Her niece got that on tape and hopefully after the papers get turned in both of these degenerates will be fired and prosecuted the owners are real dumb to allow her to manage this palce any further they never even watered the place over the summer it was so unbelieveable...

The justice will occur pretty soon

thecropchick in baltimore, Maryland

58 months ago

I would contact the authorities.

T in Modesto, California

58 months ago

All I can say is that you can't judge your management company for something that the resident managers did. People are people. All of us are responsible for what we say, do or sign. Bad decisions definitely have a snowball effect.... but you really need to chalk it up to a thing called "Life". We need to just deal with things and be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Managing "people" is not an easy task...and it's unfortunate that it even has to be an issue. Being "managed" seems so un-free and not "natural". It's hard to be a manager, and we are definitely under paid monetarily. Morally tho, it's where you are supposed to be if it's where you are right now. Learn from it. I've learned more about people in the last 3 years```and the life lesson is all the pay I need right now. We have to try to teach our tenants what they need to do to survive in our complex.... use your authority for something rewarding and always try to help the tenant before throwing them to the curb.

jazzy in Mays Landing, New Jersey

58 months ago

Let me tell you about my apartment manager, she has slept with tenants, and also messes around with the drug dealers that sell on the property.Instead of telling them to leave the property she is seen smiling and locked up in the office with them. She only fixes items for certain ppl and gets an attitude with most of the tenants. Rather than managing the complex, she rather befriend the tenants and watch children during office hours.

Thinking Out Loud in Redmond, Washington

57 months ago

I think you should tell the owner.

jazzy in Mays Landing, New Jersey

57 months ago

dont think that would help much, she has been seen rubbing her boss's shoulders, she's real friendly with them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Maybe you could move in Redmond, Washington

57 months ago

I know of a great unit in Redmond that is renting.... If you give me a call I will work out deal for you. four, two, five .... four, nine, five, one, six, one, two

carrie ellingburg in Longview, Texas

55 months ago

I have lived at theses willow lake apartments for a year and a half and have had no problems whatsoever....until the new assistant manager moved in beneath me. For the last four monthes I get a note three times a week, saying "we have recieved complaint"...like she didnt write them in her notebook down there. She is saying I am a disturbance and the music is too loud. I have no bass on my tv, nor a stereo downstairs. I get off work at three a.m. and walk up my stairs only to hear her beat on the roof with a broom or mop, perhaps? I have never got a complaint untill this woman moved in. I asked her husband if he thought it was too loud, as well as all the other neighbors, and they said no. I know she is a few years older then I, and she wants me gone, not because I am a disturbance. Go to the TAA? get legal advice? What to do?

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

55 months ago

Start by talking directly with her.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T

55 months ago

WEll, hopefully since you are coming home from work at 3am you are being respectful of all the other people that are most likely sleeping, are you? I'm a manager with a fairly loud family living above me, it took me and my husband quite awhile to adjust to the noise. I had talks with my upstairs neighbors, they didnt even realize what we could hear, and they have been a lot better ever since. People that live in apartments have to realize that there is no privacy and you should be as quiet as you can just out of plain goodness to those around you. It's never fun listening to someones phone conversation or hearing them making whoopie on top of all the other noise such as vacuuming, peeing loudly in the toilet, and passing gas in the bathtub. People that live downstairs have a lot to deal with. If in fact you are being disrespectful, trust me, it will end up happening to you one day... and you will then understand how annoying it can be. I bet if you tried being a little quieter, the notes would stop, seriously.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

alicearriola in Van Nuys, California

51 months ago

First off you need to establish a paper/photo/witness trail. Start documenting all communication/threats etc. if you can get photos and tape recordings/saved voice mails even better. See if any of your neighbors who you trust have had similar experiences. If yes are they willing to testify or put in writing? As far as bad references go that is illegal & he can be sued you cant even say someone has been evicted unless it has been thru the courts and there has been granted possesion of the unit to the landlord and you have a case number if you have all that then its already on the persons credit report. 2nd I would have someone I know call & pose as a potential landlord & see what this guy says & does, record it.Find out the management co/supervisors/owners name & report this ass.

alicearriola in Van Nuys, California

51 months ago

Me again, I would be interested as to the outcome of this. Property managers are supposed to help tenants and represent the owner, I'm pretty sure the owner would be upset if he knew. Hey if he's looking for a good, ethical, honest management team have him e-mail me! Oh yeah I/we have 19yrs experience.

Charlie in Syracuse, Indiana

51 months ago

T in Modesto, California said: If you arent guilty, then you should have no problem responding to her requests. I give my tenants written warnings that they have to respond to me in writing within two days. Some apologize for breaking a rule and some deny that they broke the rule, and some try to justify why they broke the rule. Communication is key with Mgr/Tenant relationships. Until you walk a mile in an apartment manager's shoes, you shouldnt be so quick to judge her, it's not an easy job to keep a complex safe, free of drug traffic and uphold peaceful enjoyment of the premises for all that pay to live in their apartment.

Nobody said it was an easy job, BUT apartment managers CHOOSE to be apartment managers. If they can't handle the job then they should do something else.

thea in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

broadway square apt. full time studedent at 40, was forced to pay higher deposit after add said 49.00 move in. I paid 2 hundred something. I felt like because of the katrina victems it was taken out on my because I did not have a voucher. The apt I could afford 400 dollars a month at the sign of lease no call before informing me I was told they did not have it I was forced to move into apt 600 a month this apt had black mold wrote it down on my move in sheet it only got worse staff was coming into my home without notice non emergency things started missing him my home tolit paper cleaning products snacks reported it nothing done put exta lock on door fear of safty when landlord found out instead of her asking for a key or appologizing she humiliated me yelling at me you do not own this i was paying well of 700 dollars to stay by now late charges and all couldnt use pool always nasty security would lock your washing clothes up if you called them to allow you to come get them they would not until the next morning security if you had come home from work shopping what ever they would see you going home stop you and ask for ID you were not doing any thing but going home I am a single women I felt it was more to that. I was told by one officer after I went to go some chicken I better get into my home I was not to be outside was home not dressed a morning staff came to put late notice in my home male I wasn't dressed and still sleep and asked him to please leave it on the door he told me I better get dressed and let him in my house per manager. I wrote a letter cussing this married man out because he was sexually harrassing me he kept on harrasing me and harrassing me when I TOLD him I didnt like it he got even worse he took the letter to the office the manager said dont ever come into my office God blesing me your a terroist i was picking on her staff i do not want to hear what you have to say humiliated me one because i was late on my rent i then started getting electric

thea in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

I started getting hundred dollar extra electric bills outside of me leasing agreement.I could not have company landlord had told neighbors to keep a eye on my aprt. They even went as far as calling a friend of mine and telling them what time I went swimming. I moved was forced out
really...

thea in Houston, Texas

49 months ago

at the signing of lease I was told they did not have the apartment we agreed me to move in on,I had no call before then a whole week went by I was forced to move into the aprt becaue I had made arrangements to move in on that day of signing of contract.

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California

47 months ago

Sexual harrassment is illegal. You can secretly tape then present to Fair HOusing and the employer. He/she has no business being in that business. Make sure your being honest and not being an evil manipulative person as you can ruin his/her reputation and life. And can also be held liable for slander, defamation of character with malicious intent.
HOpefully your being honest and not one of those manipulative residents that thinks they can lie and destroy peoples lives.

Jennifer in Omaha, Nebraska

38 months ago

I have lived in the same apartment complex since then we have had 3 different managers. The one we have now actually has her mother as the assistant manger. My mother in law has lived at this complex for 10 years. She has been married for 15 years and has two children. Recently she has discovred that the manager's mother who is the assistant manager has been having an affair with her husband. He left his wife and kids and now she has no place to live. They know that I am related to them and I feel is making up excuses to try to get me evicted. I have also called the property manager and explpained whats going on she was not much help. What do I do.

brilliantfairy in Studio City, California

38 months ago

Can a manager barge in without calling because he noticed a leak in the garage?
He used his key to barge straight into my apt. without even trying to telephone because I didn't answer the door. I have told him before that I can't hear the door when I am in the bedroom. what if I was naked? I was almost naked,,,, It was close to 10pm.
Can anyone tell me what my rights are? I live in Sherman Oaks CA . thanks,
Nikki

T in Modesto, California

38 months ago

If it's a water leak causing property damage the landlord has the right to enter. Surely he/she would call and knock first. I know I wouldnt feel comfortable just barging in to someone's home, it's common sense.

Sulley54 in Fallbrook, California

25 months ago

I read all these complaints and I have trouble with our manager also. There are alot of things happening here. Our manager goes around gossiping about other tenants that are personal and the manager spreads lies about others as well. I wrote a letter to corporate twice but it seems that they just make excuses for her. I live in a senior citizens apt. Alot of tenants won't even come out of their apt. Cause their afraid of manager. I'm still debating on what I'm gonna do next. I know you get more bees with honey but I have tried so hard to get along with manager but I will not allow her to yell at my husband who has alot of health problems when he has done nothing but try to be social able to other disabled tenants and try to help them out. I Feel if you are not a compassionate person or don't know how to speak to elder people maybe you should get out of the managing apt. Position and let somebody else do the job. I'm sure both the new manager and most important the senior citizens be happy for the years they have left on this earth. I have never seen this before. This is so sad.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.