Apartment Manager Salary for Small Complexes <25 units

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 136 of 136)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Brent Williams in Katy, Texas

36 months ago

bolsa in Huntington Beach, California said: Your cheep and a sick person another sick land lord

Who are you referring to? The person above you is a landlord, but I hope you are not referring to her, because no matter what she is paying, there is no reason to call her a sick person. I hope you are referring to someone else I didn't notice...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

becky in Tacoma, Washington

36 months ago

Brent Williams in Katy, Texas said: Who are you referring to? The person above you is a landlord, but I hope you are not referring to her, because no matter what she is paying, there is no reason to call her a sick person. I hope you are referring to someone else I didn't notice...

I di not say or mean she was a sick person. I am an owner of an apt buiding in Tacoma WA and need to have the building open for showings on Saturdays. I pay the current mgr $25,000 per yr and she wants more is not flexible for Sats. We need to be able to show on Saturdays as that is when most people shop. I have been the one to show bay appointment. That is not possible as I have another job.
My point is what is a fair payment for what the job responsibilities are. tyhe job has been offive M-F (as she will not wk sats)1-5 collect rent, post ads, 3 day notices etc, monthly rent and day to day issues. She does not do bills annd acounting , no cleaning etc. I think I will be in need of a new mgr as Saturdays a re critcal for showing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

36 months ago

becky in Tacoma, Washington said: I di not say or mean she was a sick person.

Hi Becky, I think you got confused - I was actually defending you against the person right below you. I never meant that you called anyone "sick".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Grace in Redding, California

36 months ago

becky in Tacoma, Washington said: I di not say or mean she was a sick person. I am an owner of an apt buiding in Tacoma WA and need to have the building open for showings on Saturdays. I pay the current mgr $25,000 per yr and she wants more is not flexible for Sats. We need to be able to show on Saturdays as that is when most people shop. I have been the one to show bay appointment. That is not possible as I have another job.
My point is what is a fair payment for what the job responsibilities are. tyhe job has been offive M-F (as she will not wk sats)1-5 collect rent, post ads, 3 day notices etc, monthly rent and day to day issues. She does not do bills annd acounting , no cleaning etc. I think I will be in need of a new mgr as Saturdays a re critcal for showing.

Why don't you give her Sunday and Monday's off? Or get a temp on Saturdays? Get creative have her do Saturday's every other weekend or once a month. I'm sure there is an option. Or hire a next manager, I'm available.

becky in Tacoma, Washington

36 months ago

She has stated she absolutely will not work Sats. Her demands I feel are unreasonable. If I were to have the buidings ptofesionally managed they charge @5-6% and that is less than what she gets paid and they do everything bills and all. I think I will put out an ad for this job.
I think it will be a free apartment and $400-500 per month plus $12 per hour for apartment cleaning and paint vacuuming etc.
Does this seem fair?
There is a point to where it makes more sence to go with management cos.

Ty in Phoenix, Arizona

36 months ago

400.00-500.00 per month? Are you insane? for putting up with a 25 unit apt complex for you? What are they supposed to do? sit there in their free apartment and starve to death? What the hell is wrong with you anyway? Why dont you try living on that for 6 months and then decide if its fair or not. The funny part is that you will always be having to go through the hassle of hiring and training new people because anybody who isnt utterly useless will quit based on what you pay. If they do stick around its only because they are unskilled and incompetent and cant find anything else except for the miserable existence that you offer. Either way, nothing will ever go right at your complex and I am glad because you deserve it.

T in Modesto, California

36 months ago

becky in Tacoma, Washington said: She has stated she absolutely will not work Sats. Her demands I feel are unreasonable. If I were to have the buidings ptofesionally managed they charge @5-6% and that is less than what she gets paid and they do everything bills and all. I think I will put out an ad for this job.
I think it will be a free apartment and $400-500 per month plus $12 per hour for apartment cleaning and paint vacuuming etc.
Does this seem fair?
There is a point to where it makes more sence to go with management cos.

I dont work weekends unless there's an emergency. My phone message says "come to my office Mon-Fri during regular business hours" I get 325 per week, utilities and rent free. If you want your property taken care of you have to take care of your manager, there's no other way around it. If I have an applicant that cant get to me during regular business hours and I have an open unit I WILL meet with them after hours or on the wknd if it is convenient for my schedule. Most managers want to be OFF property on the wknds because you dont want to see your tenants. It's NOT and EASY job. We are very underpaid for what we do.

BarstowBlonde in Barstow, California

34 months ago

I recently moved to Barstow. I am a Caretaker, in the San Gabriel Valley, for an elderly man in his 80's, I'll call him "Charlie". Well, Charlie purchased a 4-plex that was in need of alot of T.L.C. and moved me up here to "OVERSEE" things.

He originally told me I would receive my 2 bdrm apartment utils included + $600/mo. (Aug. so far I have only received $487.00 he owes me $113.00 and now it's Sept., he has the money, that's not a problem, he claims he keeps forgetting?)

Anyway, I OVERSEE nothing... I am the one DOING IT. He feels I should do all the work myself, which is fine since I love painting and gardening and cleaning. That is not the problem.

My problem is after I lived here a month he decides he would like to live in the Desert and has moved himself into my extra bdrm.

Along with pulling weeds, picking up litter, planting grass in the front, cleaning / painting the vacant apt upstairs and the one I moved into, advertising vacancy on the internet, collecting rent and doing minor maintenance for the other 2 tenants... I now have my originial job back of doing his cooking, his laundry, picking up after him and cleaning his messes, plus handling all of other duties such as transferring his cell phone service, paying his own bills, etc... Not to mention he showed up here in a huge u-haul full of his belonging and alot of crap and his wonderful nephews parked the truck and left, leaving me, a 50 year old woman and an 84 year old man to unload everything, since I don't have friends in this area yet, no one came to my rescue.

So, to make a SHORT STORY LONG...... I know I need a shrink, but besides that, ANY ADVICE OUT THERE? Since he occupies half the apartment now shouldn't I get the difference in my salary? And, just because he is the owner, does that give him the legal right to move in on me? I realize it's only a four-plex and not a huge complex, so some laws may not pertain to me???

mossmgrlaw in Agoura Hills, California

34 months ago

You are entitled to be paid minimum wage for every hour you work. And he cannot take a credit for your housing without some sort of written agreement. Yes, you are being taken advantage of by Charliw, and it clearly is not a "good time Charlie." Go to residentmanagerlaw.com for a look at some legal facts that very closely apply to your situation. Good luck.

Nat3035 in San Luis Obispo, California

31 months ago

Me and my husband live in Atascadero, CA and manage 11 mobilehomes in a mobilehome park. We have a 3 bedroom mobilehome which we pay $1,550.00 per month plus utilities. The landlord pays my husband $400.00 a month to collect rents, clean the rentals (7 of them), rent them out. all landscaping, fix plumbing, electrical problems, etc. He is working 7 days a weeks, sometimes over 8 hours per day. I know we are getting ripped off. What exactly is the legal requirements on paying a park manager? I also have a full time job and I do all the paperwork for the park, rental agreements, new applicants, 3 day notices, evictions, etc.

Ty in Peoria, Arizona

31 months ago

I am no lawyer and have no idea whether it is leagal for you to be screwed like that, but that's beside the point isn't it? The bigger question is why would you willingly consent to it? Working 8 hours a day, 7 days a week for 400 bucks a month? It's ridiculous. And for that matter who pays 1500.00 a month to live in a trailer? That's insane. You can buy a five year old foreclosed house with 5 bedrooms, 4 baths and a giant back yard here in Phoenix and pay less than half that amount each month for your mortgage payment. I think you need to re-evaluate your whole life and consider whether you are really where you should be, because personally, I think that the last person leaving California should remember to turn the lights off. It was once the land of opportunity, but now it's been managed so poorly for so long, that it's just pretty much an unsustainable write-off now. We may as well just give it back to Mexico. Time to move to a state that liberals and illegals havent bankrupted yet. Good luck pardner.

Kenneth F. Moss in Winnetka, California

31 months ago

Nat3035 in San Luis Obispo, California said: Me and my husband live in Atascadero, CA and manage 11 mobilehomes in a mobilehome park. We have a 3 bedroom mobilehome which we pay $1,550.00 per month plus utilities. The landlord pays my husband $400.00 a month to collect rents, clean the rentals (7 of them), rent them out. all landscaping, fix plumbing, electrical problems, etc. He is working 7 days a weeks, sometimes over 8 hours per day. I know we are getting ripped off. What exactly is the legal requirements on paying a park manager? I also have a full time job and I do all the paperwork for the park, rental agreements, new applicants, 3 day notices, evictions, etc.

California Industrial Welfare Commission Order 5-2001 covers exactly this situation. It is legally identical to the situation of a resident manager of an apartment complex. Instead of going into chapter and verse on how the law works, let me direct you to my website where the law is explained. mossmanagerlaw.com Virtually my entire practice is devoted to representing people such as you. Check out the law on my site and you will see that indeed you are getting taken advantage of. I would be happy to discuss this with you if you email a phone number to the email address on my site....I am driving from Southern Cal. to NorCal Sunday and heaven knows I will have plenty of time to chat! Now I predict that the guy from AZ will post something about leech lawyers.....completely over-looking the fact that my entire professional life is devoted to helping people like you, who but for attorneys like me who take this kind of a case on a contingency basis, would never be able to protect their rights.

Ty in Peoria, Arizona

31 months ago

To Justice for All- Hi. I have nothing derogatory to say about "Leech Lawyers" who represent people who are genuinely being the victim of unfair labor practices. If they have a case, then by all means, they should pursue it. My point is that since the whole situation is consensual by both parties, why wouldnt they just walk away from the situation and save everybody the trouble of suing? I mean, the arrangement is so ridiculous that I cannot see why anybody would ever agree to it, or willingly stay in that scenario if it turned out to be more of a job than they were led to believe in the beginning. I will 100% stand by what I said about 1500.00 a month in trailer-rent and about California in general. The entire state is basically irredeemably un-saveable at this point, because the delusional-dumb-ass-per-capita ratio now exceeds 50% so it is a mathematical impossibility that Californians can correct their problems via democratic elections. My advice to the 1500.00 a month trailer-rent people getting paid 400 a month for 8 hours a day/7 days a week work is seriously to move to a state that isnt completely unaffordable to normal working folks. For 1500/month they could be living in a beach-front condo on South Padre Island, Texas or in a 5-year-old mini-mansion in Phoenix or Vegas. Lex Luthor's old plan to activate a nuke in the San Andreas fault and cause California to slide into the sea is actually looking better and better every day. We would get rid of a lot of useless people and greatly increase the value of Nevada real-estate all in one fell swoop.

Ty in Peoria, Arizona

31 months ago

excuse me, the above comment was directed to Ken Moss, not Justice for All. The website changed from page 1 to page 3 when the reply box popped up, so the title of the last post on the page above had changed.

OTIS COOPER JR in Fairfield, California

29 months ago

becky in Tacoma, Washington said: I di not say or mean she was a sick person. I am an owner of an apt buiding in Tacoma WA and need to have the building open for showings on Saturdays. I pay the current mgr $25,000 per yr and she wants more is not flexible for Sats. We need to be able to show on Saturdays as that is when most people shop. I have been the one to show bay appointment. That is not possible as I have another job.

I CAN WK M-F-SAT HELL I NEED A JOB NOTNOW BUT RIGHT NOW OK HOW CAN BE DOWN

charlesbehlen@windstream.net in Hobbs, New Mexico

29 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

I was an apartment manager in east Texas from 1992 to 2009. I managed a 16-unit complex in return for my apartment and untilities. No salary until 2003, no phone until 1999. I did make-readys, mowed the property, showed apts, collected and deposited rents, accepted and rejected applicants, processed evictions, did almost all the electrical and plumbing work, and walked away with nothing but my hat and coat after 18 years on the gurney. The only reason I survived was because I got $325.00 for each apt. I painted. Why did I get that much? I came on board as a house painter and my employers were desperate to get me. Unfortunately, I sometimes had to go for months without having an apartment to paint. My employers suggested that I apply for food stamps. Instead, I managed to supplement my tiny income with part-time minimum wage jobs until the age of 50, when those jobs suddenly dried up. In 2003 the employers gave me a monthly salary of $100.00. That, and qualifying for foodstamps that same year, meant I could be reasonably assured of eating on a daily basis for the first time in years. In 2008 I had a heart attack. My employers questioned me about vacancies while I was awaiting surgery in the hospital. While recuperating, I was harassed by the employers for receiving free medical care when they had to pay for medical insurance. Simply put, there oughta be a law. That or a union.

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California

29 months ago

You sure got that right Charles. In California there is a law, though none of the powers that be seem to care if it's followed, probably property owners themselves. Here you basically have to sue your employer if you want to be paid according to the law.

I've thought about trying to form a union with property managers all over. What does everyone think of that? Any interest? Aren't you all sick and tired of being taken advantage of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ty in Gilbert, Arizona

29 months ago

Me and my coworkers are ready to join up to your maintenance union Lisa. We suggest International Brotherhood of Schleppers as our name...I just hope I don't have to be the one to be sent into the leasing office to tell the property manager about our union and to present our list of demands

Grace777 in Red Bluff, California

29 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: You sure got that right Charles. In California there is a law, though none of the powers that be seem to care if it's followed, probably property owners themselves. Here you basically have to sue your employer if you want to be paid according to the law.

I've thought about trying to form a union with property managers all over. What does everyone think of that? Any interest? Aren't you all sick and tired of being taken advantage of?

Apartment Managers need to be protected! I lost my job and my home, and was told to move out within 2 weeks. I know I could have stayed longer and forced them to evict me, but we know as managers we don't want that on our credit. I know we have rights, but it's hard to go up against a corporation, we need a union to represent our rights!

mossmanagerlaw in Miami, Florida

29 months ago

Grace777 in Red Bluff, California said: Apartment Managers need to be protected! I lost my job and my home, and was told to move out within 2 weeks. I know I could have stayed longer and forced them to evict me, but we know as managers we don't want that on our credit. I know we have rights, but it's hard to go up against a corporation, we need a union to represent our rights!

Check our mossmanagerlaw.com for an explanation of CA laws protecting resident manager wages, including getting your (former) employer to pay your attorney fees. I do these cases all over the state of CA.

robhgood@earthlink.net in Westminster, California

28 months ago

I am resident manager at a 16 unit(four buildings w/large common ground areas)complex in Westminster, CA.

My daily duties include keeping the grounds clean and picked up, solve disputes among tennants, report needed repairs to off site property manager, continue to run undesireables (prostitues, druggies, taggers, gang members, homeless people, etc.) off premissis. Clean up and dispose of vomit, ciggerette butts, beer and alcohol containers. As well as,ticket parking violations, call police for violence amongst tennants. I recieve $400 off my monthly rent. What's your pay for equal management skills?

bolsa in Huntington Beach, California

28 months ago

Move as fast as you can

Katie in Riverside, California

28 months ago

Grace in Redding, California said: Why don't you give her Sunday and Monday's off? Or get a temp on Saturdays? Get creative have her do Saturday's every other weekend or once a month. I'm sure there is an option. Or hire a next manager, I'm available.

I agree with Grace if that's all you can do for her, but as an apartment manager for two years, I've found that Saturdays are not really essential to renting out apartments. I am open 10-2 M-F, or by appointment, and only by appointment on Saturdays. During "rent time: whic is the 1st of the month through the 4th of the month, I am open 1-6 so that tenants have a chance to come into the office and pay their rent after they got off work. But I do have a lockbox they can use if the office is closed. I have found that by staying open on Saturdays, I get people who drop by to look and are not really serious about renting and most of the time don't even qualify to live here. I have better look with people who call and make an appointment for a Saturday. I have better qualified people applying that way.

I manage 33 units, get a free 2bdrm aprt., free utilities (which includes central air in the summer, free internet, free landline phone and I pay my own TV cable bill. In addition, I get $1200 a month and one week's vacation aq year and if I don't take it, I can carry over to the next year.

The bad part about apartment managing on this level is you can't be friends, actual friends, with tenants. And because you expect and insist that everyone follow the rules, a lot of them just don't like you.

hdgreen246 in Denham Springs, Louisiana

13 months ago

feelingstupid in Arcadia, California said: all the comments are like a bulb going off in my head! most of you get paid, or utilities, phone, internet, et al??? I have had my manager's job for 20 years and I don't make a penny! Not minimum wage, not phone costs, just an apt. without utilities and am expected to work 6 days a week. What did I do?

Hi,
I am a single mother doing whatever just trying to survive, I attend college online and also drive a school bus and due to my current situation, I would probably cry tears of joy if I could just find someone hiring apartment managers and the only compensation was the free apartment because here in the great state of Louisiana where I live, there is never any good jobs. I have been looking for a job like this going on a year now just so I can have a roof over my head and my daughter can finally have an actual bedroom all to herself that she can relax in because nobody is going to get mad and kick us out or get jealous and kick us out, etc. etc. Be thankful that you at least have the free apartment because as I said, I am desperate to find what you guys have salary or not makes no difference to me the free apartment is why I would do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

13 months ago

What area of Louisiana are you looking in? I'm not sure about whether they provide a free apartment or not, but here are three leasing consultant jobs in Louisiana: www.multifamilyinsiders.com/apartment-jobs/filter_job_list?location_id_alias=Louisiana&location_id=33

AM in Taft, California

4 months ago

Found this site while looking for legal advice and found it interesting. I am an apartment manager of a 24 unit comlex for 2+ yrs a the same complex. I 4.5 hrs a day, M-F. I can show off units on the weekend but only by appointment. Even though the owners want me to just be here to see if people show up. I get $8 an hour, and paid once a month and the rent is taken out that and I get the rest. I range about $175 after C.S. and the complex provides free water, sewer, gas and garbage so that it's a perk of the job. I get $25 towards my $50 cell phone and $21 for my $80 internet package. That's it. I am here at least 90% of the time because I have to get permission if I am gone for more then 24 hrs. Then now I am being forced into moving from the apartment of 3 yrs to move to another apartment that is right next to the office. The complex is small enough that I am still easy to find and no one has ever had a problem. I also had a leak again in my ceiling after the big storm last week. When I told my bosses the roof needs repairs because I have a few units that leaked plus my own all they can respond to is how I have to move or be let go. I do love my job but feel so un respected by the owners. I have a maintenance person I manage who does all repairs and cleaning around the complex. I collect rent, meet with possible tenants and collect applications before faxing them to the main office where they do all credit checks and let me know if people get approved and for how much.

Shea in Smithville, Tennessee

3 months ago

AM in Taft, California said: hi I was wondering if you could help me. I receive a check from where my father passed away. I am looking to find an apartment job where the only compensation they provide me with is an apartment. I am not looking to be paid any salary at all. My issue is this: if they turn my information into the government I might lose my check. Do they have to turn in my info or could I tell them I don't need them to turn in A W2 form on me because it might affect the check this site while looking for legal advice and found it interesting. I am an apartment manager of a 24 unit comlex for 2+ yrs a the same complex. I 4.5 hrs a day, M-F. I can show off units on the weekend but only by appointment. Even though the owners want me to just be here to see if people show up. I get $8 an hour, and paid once a month and the rent is taken out that and I get the rest. I range about $175 after C.S. and the complex provides free water, sewer, gas and garbage so that it's a perk of the job. I get $25 towards my $50 cell phone and $21 for my $80 internet package. That's it. I am here at least 90% of the time because I have to get permission if I am gone for more then 24 hrs. Then now I am being forced into moving from the apartment of 3 yrs to move to another apartment that is right next to the office. The complex is small enough that I am still easy to find and no one has ever had a problem. I also had a leak again in my ceiling after the big storm last week. When I told my bosses the roof needs repairs because I have a few units that leakeplus my own all they can respond to is how I have to move or be let go. I do love my job but feel so un respected by the owners. I have a maintenance person I manage who does all repairs and cleaning around the complex. I collect rent, meet with possible tenants and collect applications before faxing them to the main office where they do all credit checks and let me know if people get approved and for how much.[/QUOTE

Shea in Smithville, Tennessee

3 months ago

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me. I receive a check from the government where my father passed away, but would like to work as an apartment manager again. Could I find a job where they just provide me with an apartment and no salary and still be able to receive my check? Do they have to turn in a W2 form in on me if they don't pay me? Could I work out an arrangement like this with the apartment owner? I really want to work but I'm afraid if they turn in my info I might lose my check? However, if my only compensation is the apartment they provide and no salary, I don't see where they would have to turn in my information(such as a w-2).

mossmgrlaw@aol.com in Woodland Hills, California

3 months ago

AM in Taft, California said: Found this site while looking for legal advice and found it interesting. I am an apartment manager of a 24 unit comlex for 2+ yrs a the same complex. I 4.5 hrs a day, M-F. I can show off units on the weekend but only by appointment. Even though the owners want me to just be here to see if people show up. I get $8 an hour, and paid once a month and the rent is taken out that and I get the rest. I range about $175 after C.S. and the complex provides free water, sewer, gas and garbage so that it's a perk of the job. I get $25 towards my $50 cell phone and $21 for my $80 internet package. That's it. I am here at least 90% of the time because I have to get permission if I am gone for more then 24 hrs. Then now I am being forced into moving from the apartment of 3 yrs to move to another apartment that is right next to the office. The complex is small enough that I am still easy to find and no one has ever had a problem. I also had a leak again in my ceiling after the big storm last week. When I told my bosses the roof needs repairs because I have a few units that leaked plus my own all they can respond to is how I have to move or be let go. I do love my job but feel so un respected by the owners. I have a maintenance person I manage who does all repairs and cleaning around the complex. I collect rent, meet with possible tenants and collect applications before faxing them to the main office where they do all credit checks and let me know if people get approved and for how much.

Your situation sounds familiar, so we may already have spoken. But I suggest you go to residentmanagerlaw.com and take a look at the information there. It will give you a fair idea of what your rights are. Then feel free to call or Email me.

beth in Garden Grove, California

3 months ago

Lisa in Costa Mesa, California said: I'm curious if anyone in California works as an Apartment Manager for a small complex, and if so, what type of pay do they receive other than their free apartment?

In Ca Apartment owners love servants low to no pay SERVANTS // it is a low pay high work dead end job .

mossmgrlaw@aol.com in Woodland Hills, California

3 months ago

beth in Garden Grove, California said: In Ca Apartment owners love servants low to no pay SERVANTS // it is a low pay high work dead end job .

Come on Beth....tell us how you really feel.

barrazaaudrey@yahoo.com in Brea, California

3 months ago

I worked a 30 unit, for a private owner, Apartment 1,000. He paid 1,000 each month and all utilities, phone and cable TV and renters insurance. I had a 2 bed room unit with a garage and I was oncall 24x7.

AM in Taft, California

2 months ago

mossmgrlaw@aol.com in Woodland Hills, California said: Your situation sounds familiar, so we may already have spoken. But I suggest you go to residentmanagerlaw.com and take a look at the information there. It will give you a fair idea of what your rights are. Then feel free to call or Email me.

Sorry been busy looking for work as I was indeed terminated when I said I didn't want to move, I never said no but still. I looked at the site you posted, the rent was taken out of my one check per month (or at least $333.33 of the $475)I was suppose to get free rent but never did.

mossmgrlaw.com in Westlake Village, California

2 months ago

AM in Taft, California said: Sorry been busy looking for work as I was indeed terminated when I said I didn't want to move, I never said no but still. I looked at the site you posted, the rent was taken out of my one check per month (or at least $333.33 of the $475)I was suppose to get free rent but never did.

I can't help you via this board. If you want to discuss your situation, you should Email me or call me at the number on my website.

2 months ago

If you work for some Apartments YOU NEED A NEW JOB

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

mossmgrlaw@aol.com in Woodland Hills, California said: Come on Beth....tell us how you really feel.

Americans have turned into SHEEP

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.