Bad situation and need help. thanks

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

hellokitty876 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

64 months ago

I am a new manager of an elderly and/or disabled complex. I have been here since Dec 2008, and the people that I work for do not really care what goes on here, so when I report things, it's like reporting a student threatening another student and the administration not doing anything about it (yes I was a teacher before this, and this situation actually happened to me). That's how I feel about talking to the people who are over me.

Anyway, I have two tenants in two separate apts that live across the parking lot from each other.. both are elderly and disabled. They are constantly fighting and threatening each other, and twice a gun has been brought into the situation. This past weekend while I was away on a mini vacation, these two got into it and one of them pulled out her gun. She told my maintenance man (whom was left in charge) that if this lady came in her house, she was going to shoot her. After an attempt to get them in their individual apartments, he ended up having to call the cops. The cops came out and got them to settle down and go to their apartments, etc. The problem is that there is always problems going on between these two apartments. The other tenants complain A LOT and it's getting old. I am really really afraid that eventually somebody is going to get hurt if not killed.. it's inevitable. My husband and i have decided we are only going to be here temporarily but temporarily could be a few years, and we have to think about our two year old daughter. I am afraid for our safety and hers and the other tenants as well. I want these two tenants out of here before something tragic happens... they are both nothing but constant trouble.

My question is... do I have any grounds to evict these two?? thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

64 months ago

Does the apartment complex have an attorney they use on a regular basis? If so, that would be the person to talk to. I am a legal assistant, not an attorney, so I cannot give legal advice. My dad had an apartment house in Flint, MI from the 60's to the 80's.

IF something happens to other tenants, those other tenants will have the legal right to sue the complex - and they will probably win.

People can be evicted for any reason. Do either of these people have dimentia? Do they have caseworkers? If they have a caseworker then I would talk to that caseworker and see what she can do to get them relocated. Is their rent being paid by a public government entity?

Another note: If one of them has a gun, yes, you can evict immediately. It doesn't matter if that person has a license to have the gun. That person brought out the gun and threatened another tenant.

I would look in the phone book, or on the internet, look for attorneys, look for specialization under landlord/tenant disputes.

64 months ago

My dad had a "landlady" who lived in his apartment building. Her job was to report to him what incidences were going on - to call him if anything was happening that he needed to know. She got a discount on her rent. He did the rental, did the evictions, collected the rent money, and everything else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

The biggest problem here is: The situation between these two tenants is a well known and long standing problem. And nothing has been done about it. Any tenant who gets injured because of them will have a legal right to sue the property owner and the managing company because of a dangerous condition.

If you are truly the manager, then you should be making the decisions. You need to sit down with the property owner to discuss these things. You should have a written list of what your responsibilities are. Do you make the decision of who to rent an apartment to? Or do you have to get his okay first?

As for the people you work for, you need to get a written detailed description from them as to what your job responsibilities are.

You're working for a property management company. I'm sure they have an attorney they use for consultation. They must.

I would start DOCUMENTING EVERYTHING. Send certified letters to each of those tenants advising them their long standing fued is creating a serious dangerous condition for other tenants. Be explicit in the letter with dates, times, police reports, etc. Advise them their actions will cause them to be evicted. Tell them if there is another incident where the police are called, then you will begin eviction proceedings. This may be enough to get them to stop.

Another way to deal with the problem is to advise the people you work for (whoever is the key person) that you are going to start eviction proceedings against these two tenants. If you get no response, then do it.

Another way for a quick resolution - can you move the tenants away from each other so they can't see each other and they don't have access to each other.

Linda in Los Angeles, California

64 months ago

Most standard leases have a noise and disruption clause that states that these altercations are a nuisance and you can evict on those grounds. If the landlord refuses to evict, send her a fed-ex signature required letter informing her of the dangerous situation. Then play devil's advocate and you call the cops repeatedly on these two tenants either A they will stop or B this will upset the owners enough to get them to move on eviction. You can also advise other tenants to contact the owners in writing as well. For your safety you may also enlist the help of the local Police Department explain whats going on and keep them on alert. That's what I did here in my building.

wanda hicks in Waynesboro, Virginia

64 months ago

In an apartment that has 6 separate apartments whose responsibility is it to maintain the hallways, steps, and grounds, the tenants or the landlords?

T

64 months ago

In our rules it says the tenant must maintain the area in front of their door, in our lease it says Mgmt must maintain a clean place for the tenants to live..... best thing to do is get rid of the tenants that want to live like pigs.

64 months ago

My roommate is a pig. For a 25 year old woman, I never even gave it a thought. She showed up to my house wearing a nice suit.
Her room is a mess, her bathroom is a mess. I have to use pressure to get her to wash HER dishes. She has never even taken out the trash.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T

64 months ago

It's always an adjustment to try to live with anyone. Maybe she was put into your life because she needs you to help her become "neater"? A lot of people are messy/cluttery, I know this from managing apartments. You can't live her life tho... but if her mess is melting into your space-- sweetly guide her into the world sanitary living. Good luck!

hellokitty876 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

64 months ago

Thanks everybody.

The biggest problem here is: The situation between these two tenants is a well known and long standing problem. And nothing has been done about it. Any tenant who gets injured because of them will have a legal right to sue the property owner and the managing company because of a dangerous condition.

Exactly Mary.. thanks so much to everybody who responded. this incident had nothing to do with whether or not the person was nasty or neat or whatever. It's about the safety of the other tenants, etc. I have spoken to the property owners, and we are going to evict one of the two parties involved.

Thanks again! I am sure I will be back with more questions! :)

gg in Burleson, Texas

64 months ago

hellokitty876 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: I am a new manager of an elderly and/or disabled complex. I have been here since Dec 2008, and the people that I work for do not really care what goes on here, so when I report things, it's like reporting a student threatening another student and the administration not doing anything about it (yes I was a teacher before this, and this situation actually happened to me). That's how I feel about talking to the people who are over me.

Anyway, I have two tenants in two separate apts that live across the parking lot from each other.. both are elderly and disabled. They are constantly fighting and threatening each other, and twice a gun has been brought into the situation. This past weekend while I was away on a mini vacation, these two got into it and one of them pulled out her gun. She told my maintenance man (whom was left in charge) that if this lady came in her house, she was going to shoot her. After an attempt to get them in their individual apartments, he ended up having to call the cops. The cops came out and got them to settle down and go to their apartments, etc. The problem is that there is always problems going on between these two apartments. The other tenants complain A LOT and it's getting old. I am really really afraid that eventually somebody is going to get hurt if not killed.. it's inevitable. My husband and i have decided we are only going to be here temporarily but temporarily could be a few years, and we have to think about our two year old daughter. I am afraid for our safety and hers and the other tenants as well. I want these two tenants out of here before something tragic happens... they are both nothing but constant trouble.

Absolutely! I would send them each a notice to vacate for non-delinquent breach of lease. Read the lease for backup then file at the courthouse.

df in Cushing, Oklahoma

63 months ago

Call Adult Protective Services and tell them what is going on with both tenants. They can investigate and see if either tenant needs medical or mental health help and see to it if needed. The tenants are a danger to both themselves and others. APS might be a quicker solution than eviction in this case.

Anon in Mesquite, Texas

62 months ago

You need to give them both notice to vacate - no question about it. You should have police reports right?

Surely in your lease it states such disturbances are a violation.. plus a gun is involved? Yeah get rid of them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

T

62 months ago

I'd say if a gun has been brandished, yes you have the responsibility to evict. Keep in mind that when you manage a property of low income or disabled, you will always have people with mental or emotional problems, goes with the territory and that's why they are in your complex. We leave almost EVERY wknd so we can regroup and survive the following week. Camping is a great wknd get away.
My husband and I work hard at teaching the tenants what we expect from them and try to fix them rather than getting rid of them just to maybe get a worse tenant. If that doesnt work we move them out. Usually a firm letter stating that you may not renew their lease due to "list all the things they've done to violate their lease terms and complex rules". After a few sessions of talking to individual tenants that don't get along with each other at all, we've seen them become best friends. It's fun to watch the transitions.

nancy in Wilmington, North Carolina

61 months ago

hellokitty876 in Pine Bluff, Arkansas said: I am a new manager of an elderly and/or disabled complex. I have been here since Dec 2008, and the people that I work for do not really care what goes on here, so when I report things, it's like reporting a student threatening another student and the administration not doing anything about it (yes I was a teacher before this, and this situation actually happened to me). That's how I feel about talking to the people who are over me.

In a lease it will have a clause about unlawful activity and disturbing other residents. Send copy of lease and 30 notice to vacate. Then file for eviction if they stay past that 30 days.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.