Dealing with mentally disabled tenants

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

T

84 months ago

I have one particular mentally disabled tenant that challenges me continually. I suspect she has MPD (multiple personality disorder) as she spells her name differently when her demeanor changes. She is extremely intellegent and is very informed with the hippa, ada, and any other laws that relate to the disabled. She continually puts in requests for "reasonable accommodations". Her latest request (which is minor in comparison to some othe others she's already received) she wants her own parking space. We dont have designated parking here and for the most part everyone has their own spot as it seems to sort it's self out naturally. This particular tenant parks in the same place all of the time but now out of the blue she wants her own painted curb and a sign designated as "reserved". We told her we would do that for her (just to keep her at bay) but the spot she has decided she wants is the current Manager parking spot! Trust me, there are many other spots that are more suitable and closer to her unit, but she wants OUR spot! She will fight this with her legal aide lawyer until she wins. Do I, by law, have to give her my spot or can I give her "a reasonalbe spot"? This battle just began yesterday, but I know it will snowball out of control as do all of her requests. If "reasonable accommodations" are actually reasonable isn't that enough? I fear that if I give in to her and make the parking spot change that her next request will be to take my apartment! The woman is very crazy and capapble of anything. Any advice on this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lorie in Columbia, Missouri

78 months ago

"Reasonable accomodations" by deffinition mean that what she's asking for must pertain to an actual disability. Unless this woman is physically handicapped, a reserved parking space simply wouldn't be needed to accomodate her condition. You also have the right to ask for a letter from her doctor stating that she needs whatever accomodation she is requesting at the moment. As for the parking space, she doesn't have the right to pick whatever space she wants. If her doctor does say that she needs a handicap parking space, then you should give her a space that is close to her apartment entrance.

t

78 months ago

she got her "reserved" spot. Now she wants a smoker to move out of his apartment and she wants all of her doors and cupboard doors removed because it aggravates her "disability". She keeps her "disability" a secret. Even the doctors don't call it anything but "disability" when they fill out her accomodation forms. It's a game she plays.
She's mental for sure, but it's the way she gets attention and she has made it her job to see how much she can change by playing the disability card. It's wearisome. She is not physically disabled, she runs and plays with her Service Dog all the time.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.