It doesn't get much worse but no help anywhere

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

slave 2newowner in Hayward, California

88 months ago

My building used to be nice then it was sold to the biggest slumlord ever. He kept me on a manager because my tenants love me and my daughter was graduating in a month and moving wasn't an option. 1st thing he did was take away 1/2 my salary then my daughter ran away from home, I was devastated, he gave me 2 days to get over it. Knowing I didn't want to leave in case she ever came back (almost a year now and I haven't seen her) he took advantage of my situation and eventually took the rest of my pay stating that all his other managers only get a discount on rent so I should be grateful. He brought in horrible tenants from all sorts of programs cause they pay more and a week ago a boy was shot and killed on my doorstep. This was a person who I had given a 30day notice to move a few months ago after a guest of theirs tried to attack me and because it was state paid he told them they could stay without even telling me. Now he knows I told him this would happen and the tenants all know he is partially to blame too and the building is a mess, I think he is going to fire me just so he can cover up his negligence...and having drained my saving and no jobs around I'm in a panic...can anybody help me decide what route to go next? I have been trying to find lawyers and agencies to help me and my tenants for months but none will help us.Any ideas? Anyone?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cunfuciusiam in SAN FRANCISCO, California

88 months ago

slave 2newowner in Hayward, California said: My building used to be nice then it was sold to the biggest slumlord ever. He kept me on a manager because my tenants love me and my daughter was graduating in a month and moving wasn't an option. 1st thing he did was take away 1/2 my salary then my daughter ran away from home, I was devastated, he gave me 2 days to get over it. Knowing I didn't want to leave in case she ever came back (almost a year now and I haven't seen her) he took advantage of my situation and eventually took the rest of my pay stating that all his other managers only get a discount on rent so I should be grateful. He brought in horrible tenants from all sorts of programs cause they pay more and a week ago a boy was shot and killed on my doorstep. This was a person who I had given a 30day notice to move a few months ago after a guest of theirs tried to attack me and because it was state paid he told them they could stay without even telling me. Now he knows I told him this would happen and the tenants all know he is partially to blame too and the building is a mess, I think he is going to fire me just so he can cover up his negligence...and having drained my saving and no jobs around I'm in a panic...can anybody help me decide what route to go next? I have been trying to find lawyers and agencies to help me and my tenants for months but none will help us.Any ideas? Anyone?

DID YOU HAVE ANY TYPE OF CONTRACT WHEN HE TOOK OVER...???

88 months ago

CUNFUCIUS I AM in SAN FRANCISCO, California said: DID YOU HAVE ANY TYPE OF CONTRACT WHEN HE TOOK OVER...???

NO

T

88 months ago

Well, if I were you I would have moved a long time ago under those conditions. Why stay? You are miserable. Your daughter has already been gone for a year so she obviously doesnt consider where you are as "home" anyway.
I'd secure a new job through a management company, most will give you a free apartment, discounted utilities and a reasonable salary. Then I would look for an attorney that specializes in employer/employee disputes and see if you can get some retro pay from the slumlord. Get your paystubs in order and anything else that would show proof that you have been ripped off by this employer. I wouldnt share this story with any prospective new employers tho, it sounds bad. It sounds like your boss knows too much about your personal life, that is something you should never share with an employer. Good luck, and I hope you are in contact with your daughter and know she's okay. Go to job sites on the web and look for apartment manager jobs, there's plenty of them.

janet in Burbank, California

87 months ago

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California said: hi the law in calif states, that your owner must pay you at least min wage for the 35-40 hours requied to be there for tenants, and then he can only charge you 481.00 for rent. its in the min wage law.
i know i have an attorney and my people just got served and yes they are mad at me, but i have been broke and ruined credit from not being paid right for,over 2 years. fight him

Hey can you please recommend me your attorney? The owner of the building I have been managing for 2 yrs only discounts 5oo off my rent and refuses to pay me for my hours. Please help

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California

87 months ago

the law office of morris nazarian los angeles, ca
and they did not pay me today its the 3rd day and i have no food and i feed 5 strya cats and they are hungry, and i did nothing wrong but fight to be paid what people at taco bell earn, and my credit is so ruined ive been turned down by 5 jobs i never ever dont get a job i am trusting my lord to kick some butt
love jesus
oh i had a move out today and they left 3 rolls of toilet paper i needed it thats god

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

linda_v02 in Fullerton, California

86 months ago

Safety and security of all tenants including the manager is a requirement of the landlord's responsibilities. He is to provide that for everyone there. I would retain an uninhabitable dwelling attorney and get out of there with at least money. He can not evict you or even fire you for whistleblowing. Get the city inspectors and the health department coming in on violations that may exist and get his mind off you, until you can retain an attorney. I just retained an attorney against my landlord for refusing to pay cash money for hours. She's pisst but she can't fire me. I got the city in here and the health department. I hired Morris Nazarian in los angeles, ca he is good attorney. You can also contact the police commander and talk to him about the criminal issues they can help.

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California

86 months ago

hi i have a good attorney and i got fired today and faxed it to my attorney, i filed a min wage law suit and it has been unpleasant here with the owners at times and today i just felt a little free maybe its a cooling off period my bos got mad and abusive to me last night and today said they no longer need an on site manager, its retalitory, and law over 16 units some one has to live on site.
this is getting crazy, any way god bless you and i have 36 letters from all my tenants and they know how im a non stop worker and they love me,

82 months ago

janet in Burbank, California said: Hey can you please recommend me your attorney? The owner of the building I have been managing for 2 yrs only discounts 5oo off my rent and refuses to pay me for my hours. Please help

I finally found an excellent attorney that is an expert in this field..go to mossmgrlaw.com/index.htm tell him Karen sent you :-)

msjess in Irvine, California

75 months ago

I actually just gave them my 2 wk notice. I'm an onsite manager for a 46 unit apartment complex right by Cal State LA (El Serno - right next to Sr. Center). Its just not for me...I gave it the best shot but the $ is not good enough for what one has to endure. If I'm not gonna have a life...I better be making good $. In a nutshell my experience can be discribed as follows: you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink cause especially if they don't comprehend what the water taste like...oh well!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.