PESKY TENANTS

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

mrodriguez in Tyler, Texas

84 months ago

I AM AN APARTMENT MANAGER AND SOMETIMES I HAVE TENANTS THAT THINK I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO BUT SIT HERE AND LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THEY HAVE TO SAY. I CAN UNDERSTAND THAT THIER PROBABLY LONELY BUT I DO HAVE WORK TO DO AND I HAVE TRIED TELLING THEM THAT I AM BUSY RIGHT KNOW DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY OTHER IDEAS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CHARLEY in New Kensington, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

That is part of your job. I understand busy. 100 phone calls in less than 4 hours and signing 4 leases and showing 8 properties all in that same 4 hours as well as managing a staff of 5 and 15 vendors. This is with no one else but me in the office! Still the tenant will come in and want to talk. I take the time like it's all I have in the world. I give them 5 minutes and then say that I have another appointment I must get to and get up and open the door. If they hang out after the door is open, now they are being rude and I will insist that I need to attend to the next appointment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sudie

79 months ago

It is always the right thing to drop what you are doing and listen to your tenant. Getting along with them is much better than the alternative. My tenants appreciate me, and if I dont get my work done that day, well it's always there tomorrow. No worries. Besides, you get a lot of free food and nice "thank you" cards from tenants that know you care about them. Much easier to get them to comply as well, you have to show your human side... cant be a Hitler, it doesnt work.

lisa in Kansas City, Missouri

79 months ago

Sudie said: It is always the right thing to drop what you are doing and listen to your tenant. Getting along with them is much better than the alternative. My tenants appreciate me, and if I dont get my work done that day, well it's always there tomorrow. No worries. Besides, you get a lot of free food and nice "thank you" cards from tenants that know you care about them. Much easier to get them to comply as well, you have to show your human side... cant be a Hitler, it doesnt work.

you are absolutely right!!!

Jena

72 months ago

I appreciate a good resident, but the ones whom you must call every month and ask where the rent is.....or expect maintenance at 2 am non emergency I mean...goes a bit too far. I am in the process of writing a book about all this..."the life and times of a "poor lonely" apartment manager" lol. Seriously I am writing a book....but I think it will show the right side. Loving your residents is just part of the job. Even the ones who are nuisance are great people. Love thy neighbor!

terri in Modesto, California

72 months ago

I agree that it is best to love them. I have one right now that is really trying my patience.....bipolars are so frustrating. Very hard not to take it personal on occasion. I write me a journal on the days that the tenants have gotten to me, it usually takes away my frustrations.

LTW in Berkeley, California

70 months ago

Direct Approach is the only thing that works for some folks. The communications
industry has a lot of tips on the standard "clues" for a subject to "close" a
conversation. a. start moving towards the door. b. cell phone self ring...oops
got a call. c. set a computer alarm when you see them coming in, just a moment
and I will be right with you...set it for 3 minutes...oops gotta go, time to
call the boss. e. put objects between you and the person.

With practic you get better at it. Please practice in the mirror several times
a day to get better at saying no to folks. You can begin with saying: "I am
sorry, I just prefer not to".

Best of Luck,
An Old Pro

LTW in Berkeley, California

70 months ago

My email address is shipping101@sbcglobal.net
If you know of a solid company that needs a "good Old Fashioned" Resident
manager like myself in Northern California, please have them email me.
Thanks,
LTW

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.