Would like some info and insite...Just a few questions...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Sheena in Covina, California

77 months ago

My fiance and myself want to move out of my parents house and get a place of our own before we get married. We both do real estate and most of our work is done from home. We are also involved in a few other businesses. How possible is it to be a manager and be able to be involved in these other things. Plus I have these questions....THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP! :)

1. Are you able to go out of town when you want as long as things are covered back at the complex?

2. The office is seperate then the apartment that you live in correct?

3. The management company or whoever either pays for or reimbursts you for buying office supplies ect?

4. If it is myself and my fiance do they want a resume for BOTH of us?

5. Can post up that you are only available during office hours unless it is a REAL emergency?

6. Do you have to get all of the reparis and maintenance approved through the land lord or management company before you have anything done?

7. How "full time" is it really, I understand it depends on the size of the complex?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

betty in Monrovia, California

58 months ago

Have you found work yet?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheena in Walnut, California

58 months ago

betty in Monrovia, California said: Have you found work yet?

Not as an apartment manager...started other businesses and renting for now...looking to buy a house within the year. :-)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

58 months ago

1. No. Of course, YMMV. But when you are an apt manager, you are expected to spend a LOT of time not necessarily working but being available for emergencies and other tasks. When you are an apt manager, you ARE the coverage person. You can't expect the LL to cover for you, you are simply expected to be on-site a lot. That's simply a big part of being an apt manager: you are the responsible on-site person.

2. Depends on the complex. Some do that, many do not.

3. Again, it depends on the complex and LL. My current LL gave me a Visa card to use to buy everything I need. But my last gig, I was expected to front paying for everything myself and then seek reimbursement.

4. Probably. If the complex wants a management team, then yes, certainly. Regardless, most LLs (smart ones, anyway) will vet you and your spouse as if you were regular new tenant applicants, in addition to vetting you both as employees. When tenants come to your door, they will not like being told by a manager's spouse that, hey, I'm not involved in that, talk to my spouse later.

5. Once again, it depends. The complexes I have worked for, that idea wouldn't fly. While I wasn't required to have set office hours, I was expected to at least acknowledge non-urgent requests/issues pretty quickly but immediately for emergencies.

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

58 months ago

6.Once again, it depends. My current LL allows me to authorize almost all repairs or call for contractors I need and I pay for it with the Visa she has provided me. But long-term projects that are expensive, she prefers to do that scheduling/bidding, which is totally fine with me. My last LL, he micro-managed everything and required me to run every repair or improvement through him first. That was a nightmare.

7. Once again, it totally depends on the LL and the size of the complex. I manage a 40 unit complex and it is totally, totally part-time and takes very little effort or actual time (less than an hour of actual work a day). That's because my LL allows/encourages me to use repair people for EVERYTHING. But my last LL, it was 20 units and it took an average of three/four hours a day (a lot on of that on the weekends) because he required me to do not only a lot more of the repairs myself, but also take on advertising, lease writing, renewal negotiating, new applicant vetting, etc.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.