apartment manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

jimrox in San Diego, California

86 months ago

How do you get started in apartment management? What training is needed,and where do you find it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sudie

84 months ago

In most cases you will be trained by the regional manager or the manager that is leaving. When you learn how to collect and log the rent you start feeling pretty secure. You get to know all of your tenants within a few months after collecting rent from them. You have to learn what vendors to use in your local area to get things repaired and to buy office supplies and such. Once you've been trained you are usually just left to figure most of it out on your own. It's a hands on job. My first 6 months were pretty scary, then all of a sudden I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and now it's easy as pie.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in PA in Columbia, South Carolina

84 months ago

jimrox-people I know get their realtor's license first. Look in the yellow pages under schools or Sunday paper under homes for sale where they mention classes in your area. It can be done on 4 weekends or 1 full week or nights.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dee in Fresno, California

84 months ago

Sudie said: In most cases you will be trained by the regional manager or the manager that is leaving. When you learn how to collect and log the rent you start feeling pretty secure. You get to know all of your tenants within a few months after collecting rent from them. You have to learn what vendors to use in your local area to get things repaired and to buy office supplies and such. Once you've been trained you are usually just left to figure most of it out on your own. It's a hands on job. My first 6 months were pretty scary, then all of a sudden I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and now it's easy as pie.

with no experience at all how do i get an apartment management position?

Jenny in Louisa, Kentucky

79 months ago

First, you make sure you have the "skill sets" needed for apartment managing (or any managing actually). Those include, but are not limited to: Excellent communication skills, ability to work with all kinds of people; ability to be professional and to implement rules and regs; Basic understanding of the legalities of the leasing process, etc.

Second, you research the field as you are doing now and learn all you can about it.

Third, you watch for opening in a leasing office and perhaps start as an assistant in a larger complex or part time in a smaller one.

And I for one, don't think it is ever as "easy as pie". Nothing is going to be that smooth when dealing with people who are in constant flux. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Surfer in Orange, California

73 months ago

jimrox in San Diego, California said: How do you get started in apartment management? What training is needed,and where do you find it?

I have found a certified "Apartment Management" training for 9 months in 3 quarters (one night 2hrs per week)PAID fully by the state at: www.sce.cc.ca.us

Still they continue these courses :
schedule.sce.cc.ca.us/courses.php/200735///apartment

But owners as mgmts look for experience at least 2-3 years , some time 4 years, or even 5.

But even you have 14 years experience, they may like a beginner...

Better to be with a company where you can grow and make a career.. and have benefits..

For maintenance at aps, is required plumbing, electrical, handyman skills, to have your own tools and even truck/van (for small communities)

But the best shot will be to have HVAC certification... (Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning) and some experience too..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

desertstar55 in bermuda dunes, California

71 months ago

Sudie said: In most cases you will be trained by the regional manager or the manager that is leaving. When you learn how to collect and log the rent you start feeling pretty secure. You get to know all of your tenants within a few months after collecting rent from them. You have to learn what vendors to use in your local area to get things repaired and to buy office supplies and such. Once you've been trained you are usually just left to figure most of it out on your own. It's a hands on job. My first 6 months were pretty scary, then all of a sudden I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and now it's easy as pie.

you are so right they said here are the keys by by, andi just felt it out and adjusted day by day buti have had 30 new tennants so im geeting to know one and they leave, good thing im an ex millitary brat move on'''''''''''''

swifttallon in Portland, Oregon

67 months ago

i am basicly looking into the same thing, so any information on the subject would be great.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.