censoring the apartment bulletin board

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

T

71 months ago

I have a tenant that loves to put all sorts of crazy stuff on our complex bulletin board. She occasionally puts up info that causes chaos amongst the tenants---such as complaining about someone's unruly children. Legally, if I see a potential posting that I feel will cause repercussions because of the nature of it, can I remove it from the board? I've asked her in the past not to post things that cause quarellings and she pretty much gave me the WHAT FOR and said she has a right to post whatever she wants and of course quoted the freedom of speech ammendment. What do you all think? I have in the past removed stuff that she puts up, but she replaces it right away and stamps it as COPY and then puts a foot note that magangement violated her rights of free speech and removed first posting. She has a mental disability and is volatile when challenged. What would you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

67 months ago

Here's the thing: if you allow one tenant to post something, you pretty much have to allow all tenants to post everything. A basic tenet of tenancy law (and just being a decent person) is that you must apply your policies equally AND consistently to ALL tenants, not just some.

Simply your own life and sovle the problem at the same time by either taking the board down or only allow your own postings on the board. If you go the latter route, make it clear to tenants that you will not allow any postings by any tenants.... and truly stick to that policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

67 months ago

Keep in mind that the first amendment does not apply in your situation. Like almost 100% of the time the 1st is used as an argument by people, it is being misapplied by your tenant.

The first amendment is applicable ONLY to how the government may restrict what you say. Since you are not a government agent, the argument is irrelevant. The first amendment doesn't give you the right to say what you want wherever you want, that's a gross inaccuracy. It's only applicable when the government is involved.

But since your tenant is already being evicted for non-payment of rent, it's probably easier just to temporarily remove the board or restrict postings to just your own until she moves out. No sense in making life more difficult for everyone, especially you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.