What do you enjoy most about your apartment manager career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being an apartment manager? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Sudie

94 months ago

It's very convenient, since you live where you work. My office is about 20 yards from my apartment. Once you get the "feel" of your property it can be a very laid back job. You know what days will be slow and you can just stay home that day with a sign on your office door to contact you at home. It gets hairy when you have an empty unit to ready and to rent, my company expects us to have them rented within 3 days after a tenant moves out. Paperwork for move ins and move outs is fairly heavy. My particular complex doesn not have any patio or balcony area so tenants try to gather on the stairs and such which is against the rules, have to use a lot of psychology to get them to comply. Force and intimidation doesnt work as well as just respecting and having apathy for the current conditions. I manage a low income, govt subsidized complex... it has it's moments. I have to go get recertified every 2 years to keep up with current govt guidelines and laws about low income housing. The worst thing about being an apartment manager is that you really dont have any privacy. You cant go outside during your "off" time and not be talked to by tenants. I get a bit claustrophobic at times.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dee in PA in Columbia, South Carolina

94 months ago

Sudie-Most complexes I know are very large and pretty much upscale for the most part with a company located out of state, such as United Dominion Trust & others one would find in the Apartment books found at grocery or Walmart stands in the vestible. The manager nor assistant manager do NOT live on the property for the reason of wanting their privacy, so they take the pay instead. Maintenance people may or may not stay on the premises, but one has to call a beeper number if it's an actual REAL emergency to come out after hours. Major companies keep over-time and night pay to REAL emergencies only. You may want to look into that kind of rental complex for peace and privacy. Look in the Sunday paper as they list these jobs or wite to the companies found in these Apartment Books. When I lived in apartments in another state, our manager had weekends and holidays off. Usually a weekend relief manager or the leasing agents takes those shifts, if open. Any type of disturbances not major, the security officer takes care of, but again they live there but people aren't permitted to bother them either. A call is placed at the office with a message telling how to reach maintenance or security officer by beeper. The end of the message usually says to call 911 (emergency for the police() if necessary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

karen in Springfield, Missouri

94 months ago

as a resident manager or onsite as some are know, the job can be as good or bad as the managemnt company that you work for. very few apartment are run by the owners. i loved my job, but hated the management company, always haveing me tell the resident about some impovment that never took place, so of course i looked the fool. But come to find out that the residents knew that it was not me letting them down.
you must always treat the resident equaly, and with friendlness, but as i told some more then once, i am friendly to you , but was not hired to be your friend. ann when i left the job, i was the first manager the resident threw a party for, and 2 days later in the mail recieved a going a way card and $400. collected by some of the resident,as a going away gift. needless to say the tears rolled then.

Sudie in Modesto, California

94 months ago

it is nice to have the comradery with the tenants. but there is a fine line as to where some of them think you are their friend and they come to your apartment a lot and just want to chat or appear to want to be invited in. I dont let anyone in my apartment. I think my nice-ness from 9 to 5 while in the office does confuse them. After hours, my husband and I like to be alone, to regroup for the next day.

Sudie in Modesto, California

94 months ago

karen in Springfield, Missouri said: as a resident manager or onsite as some are know, the job can be as good or bad as the managemnt company that you work for. very few apartment are run by the owners. i loved my job, but hated the management company, always haveing me tell the resident about some impovment that never took place, so of course i looked the fool. But come to find out that the residents knew that it was not me letting them down.
you must always treat the resident equaly, and with friendlness, but as i told some more then once, i am friendly to you , but was not hired to be your friend. ann when i left the job, i was the first manager the resident threw a party for, and 2 days later in the mail recieved a going a way card and $400. collected by some of the resident,as a going away gift. needless to say the tears rolled then.

I agree about the management company, however this is the first company I've worked for. they are not tenant friendly, so it makes things very difficult. All my company wants is the rent collected and tenant compliance. they have no compassion... but I guess that's business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.