What have I got myself into?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

jlynnfrmwf in Wichita Falls, Texas

76 months ago

I recently became apt manager in a complex I worked as a leasing agent a few years ago. Like everyone, I thought the job seemed simple enuf. There are 272 units with one unit being used as storage. Since I came back EVERYTHING has changed! We have a contract with a nearby college and to make a long story short we take in foreign students and put them up in an apt with discounted monthly rent. It is one big headache! They get away with murder! Most of them that just came back from thier countries in August didnt even have to pay for August rent...they dont pay deposits...they dont have to clean carpets or replace drip pans before they leave. They complain for the smallest things in the apt but at the same time dont comply with specific instructions I give them...deal breakers for the common public. Like electric provider info. Any other tennant wouldnt be able to even move in before that was provided but I have a stack of leases from students that I dont have thier info. The cordinator from the college gets everything he wants because hes bringing in so much revenue. So if one of his students complains enough they could get carpet replaced when there is nothing wrong with the pre existing carpet for example.
It looks good on paper bc we have 100% occupancy but they are wearing us out...the mail man, the maint guys, our corperate, ME,lol. The one thing that keeps me hanging in is we also have a fairly new regional manager who was brought in to save $ for our company...HES WONDERFUL and gets stuff done. Ive over heard the direction hes trying to get the company and Im hopeful if they give him pull...if not we will be an over glorified dorm before too long. Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

T

76 months ago

we dont allow students in our subsidized complex unless they have a minor child to care for.

76 months ago

What city do you live in? Where I live, we have a nato base and a halfway major college so we offer discounts to college students and military. But these terms are unreasonalbe. Dont you agree? I can see the resoning behind not approving students. Like our corperate office says we need a solid community with mature, responsible and serious tenants and college students usually mean trouble but I can say these are different. They do leave the units in good shape when they move out and dont cause legal problems, just an annoyance lol. The versatility strangly isnt an issue either. We have students from India,Carribean, Africa...etc there is somewhat a language barrier but other than that they mainly just wear us out with making a million copies of keys, picking up packages out of the office, work orders over the most mundane crap and transfering to diff units. We have one tenant that has moved in and out of units eight times now because shes never happy. I dont know if I would able to view this contract between the cordinater and our corperate office but I would sure like to see just how vague or specific the guidelines are. Thanks for the feedback :)

T

76 months ago

Im in northern california. we have college close by as well. luckily tho students usually dont fall into our eligiblity guidelines. I have mostly people that are on social security or state disability (most of which are brain damaged from snorting to much coke for the most part), they are very annoying, very emotionally immature and can be quite demanding about piddly crap as well. The rest are single mothers on welfare. Some that have gone back to school, some that work part time but most that are just sucking the life out of our system while the babys daddy lives in the apartment too and is a deadbeat that just drinks all day. we are the parents here for the most part, no matter how old the tenants are. I probably have about 10% that are living here under the conditions in which the system is set up for, the rest are all bloodsuckers. It can get to me some days, but I try to ignore it because "it is what it is" and I know I cant fix it.

76 months ago

I think that is the most depressing thing Ive heard. Wow. Our company owns three properties in northern tx alone. I have the worst one..its referred to as the "problem child". Ive only been here for a month so Im not offended yet but after a while Im sure it will seem like a personal attack. Theres only so much I can do as long as they make under handed agreements and dont relay them back to me.

Olivia Zenitram in dfw, Texas

75 months ago

jlynnfrmwf in Wichita Falls, Texas said: I recently became apt manager in a complex I worked as a leasing agent a few years ago. Like everyone, I thought the job seemed simple enuf. There are 272 units with one unit being used as storage. Since I came back EVERYTHING has changed! We have a contract with a nearby college and to make a long story short we take in foreign students and put them up in an apt with discounted monthly rent. It is one big headache! They get away with murder! Most of them that just came back from thier countries in August didnt even have to pay for August rent...they dont pay deposits...they dont have to clean carpets or replace drip pans before they leave. They complain for the smallest things in the apt but at the same time dont comply with specific instructions I give them...deal breakers for the common public. Like electric provider info. Any other tennant wouldnt be able to even move in before that was provided but I have a stack of leases from students that I dont have thier info. The cordinator from the college gets everything he wants because hes bringing in so much revenue. So if one of his students complains enough they could get carpet replaced when there is nothing wrong with the pre existing carpet for example.
It looks good on paper bc we have 100% occupancy but they are wearing us out...the mail man, the maint guys, our corperate, ME,lol. The one thing that keeps me hanging in is we also have a fairly new regional manager who was brought in to save $ for our company...HES WONDERFUL and gets stuff done. Ive over heard the direction hes trying to get the company and Im hopeful if they give him pull...if not we will be an over glorified dorm before too long. Please help!

All I can say is Wow! I can relate. If things don't get any better you should try elsewhere.Many companies only look at the $$ and don't care that the on-site staff is getting burned out! It happened to me so I ran. Think about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Becky in Tulsa, Oklahoma

74 months ago

Run fast. I currently manage a 28 unit complex with only 25 subsidies, and one of the units is mine as a non-revenue. So basically out of 27 rentable units, I can only offer subsidy on 23 of them, which puts me at 100% occupancy NEVER because market rate is so overwhelmingly high on the other two. I am in a very small town with no industry, and the major employer here are a few nursing homes which pay squat, so unless their apartments are subsidized, nobody can afford to live in them. I have been here for 6 years, and just this past week I am fearful for my job because I went for so long with no applicants and no maintenance man. Now my boss is making me fearful for my job. She came in and started making calls and basically has made promises to prospective tenants that there is no way she will be able to keep. I'm disgusted with the whole housing game.

T

74 months ago

I hear ya on the subsidy game. I have 8 units that don't have subsidy and they are hard to rent. My boss knows I'm diligent about advertising, putting up flyers and such. If you don't have a renter you don't have a renter, that's all there is to it. I dont fear for my job, the units usually get filled eventually. In this economy they have to expect some set backs. I get 100% occupancy for most of the year, but as people make more money and have to move out I always dread trying to find another tenant. The one's that can afford the non subisidized units are usually the ones that "work" get raises and then become unqualified to live in low income housing. Unfortunately they are always the better behaved tenants. The ones that get freebie stuff are a lot harder to manage since they have the "you owe me" attitude.

spolley in sarasota, Florida

64 months ago

My opinion is as follows; As you probably know, you must be careful not to discriminate. Age is definitely a fair housing issue. Proceed with caution. However, I work for an extremely large and very successful company. It is not always a good thing to operate at a 100% capacity. Our company sees things this way; If you are 100% occupied, then you are not charging enough for rent. Renting apartments should not come easy. The units should be priced according to your comps in your current market and then push the envelope. Make your leasing agents work for their commissions. Train them to lease properly. Review your qualifying standards to determine if they need to be modified. Make sure your leasing staff are doing their comp surveys EVERY week. Price your units based on your comps' averages. Rates can be adjusted daily. You just cannot adjust them mid day. You cannot offer a rate to one person and then change the rate for the next. Then be consistant in the enforcement of your policies. Serve the proper notices for misconduct and don't slack. Evict them when they don't comply. The rest of them will quickly get the message. Trust me. I speak from experience. Let them know you mean business but don't lose your customer service skills meantime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.