What are typical apartment manager salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 83 of 83)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California

50 months ago

Former On Site Manager in Canby, Oregon said: Wish that would have been the case but unfortunately that is not what my employment contract said. The employment contract specifically said that upon termination of employment I was to vacate the provided apartment within 72 hours.

You didn't mention the employment contract, only the presence or absence of a rental agreement.

Yes, an employment contract can stipulate such a 72 move out requirement.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

Gigi in Oakland, California said: Can anyone recommend a lawyer in the San Francisco Bay are who specializes in employment law.

Yes: David Minnis of Mattingly & Minnis in San Francisco (google him). His record speaks for itself.

50 months ago

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California said: Yes: David Minnis of Mattingly & Minnis in San Francisco (google him). His record speaks for itself.

I mean AARON Minnis, not David Minnis. Not sure where I got the David from. Sorry about that....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Former On Site Manager in Canby, Oregon

50 months ago

I had to edit what I was typing a few times just to get it to all fit in the limited word count. That's one part I deleted along with a few other important details. My goal was to get the gist of the idea across.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

andiee in Victoria, Texas

50 months ago

Try this one on for size..I work in a 41 unit complex...there's also a pool...not only do I do office work, but I also do maintenance, make readys, gardening,etc. etc. I have to pay my rent for my apt do not recieve bonuses...I do not get any of deposits for doing the make readys plus I also mananage for him three Hud houses..I work around the clock..do not have any vacations or my own personnal time to spend with my kids...continously answer the phone even if it is 3am in the morning..I'm only allowed to show that I have worked for 30 hours a week..get paid biweekly..and most of my checks have to cover rent..there's very little left for me to get my kids clothes or other things I need and I get paid $10.00 an hour...so after taxes and paying my rent there is almost nothing left for myself or my kids...and I don't get any benefits...how is that fair...I have been doing this for two years...and yet I still put up with it because "NOBODY" else is hiring...what's a person to do. Is this aganist the law what he is doing to me? Is there something I can do...help anybody

andiee in Victoria, Texas

50 months ago

andiee in Victoria, Texas said: Try this one on for size..I work in a 41 unit complex...there's also a pool...not only do I do office work, but I also do maintenance, make readys, gardening,etc. etc. I have to pay my rent for my apt do not recieve bonuses...I do not get any of deposits for doing the make readys plus I also mananage for him three Hud houses..I work around the clock..do not have any vacations or my own personnal time to spend with my kids...continously answer the phone even if it is 3am in the morning..I'm only allowed to show that I have worked for 30 hours a week..get paid biweekly..and most of my checks have to cover rent..there's very little left for me to get my kids clothes or other things I need and I get paid $10.00 an hour...so after taxes and paying my rent there is almost nothing left for myself or my kids...and I don't get any benefits...how is that fair...I have been doing this for two years...and yet I still put up with it because "NOBODY" else is hiring...what's a person to do. Is this aganist the law what he is doing to me? Is there something I can do...help anybody

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that even when I work holidays he still only pays me straight time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

MYP in Chula Vista, California

50 months ago

Sounds like they are ripping you off. As long as you keep allowing them 2 take advantage of you they will continue to do it. You should try looking on pmjobs.com or craigslist.org. There are quite a few listings in San Diego, CA. Enter your zip to see if there are positions available in your area.

Sandy 777 in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California said: In CA, the law is very clear. In fact, Industrial Wage Commission order 5-2001 spells out very specifically what is required and allowed. The maximum rent that can be charged to a live-in manager is currently no more than $451.89 a month. If you are required to live on site, that is the maximum rent you can be charged; if you are being charged more, that is a violation of the law.

That rent can be offset by labor provided by the manager. But that wage must be at least minimum wage, which is currently at least $8.00/hr (but may be more in your locality). The manager must also voluntarily agree to such an offset and that agreement must be in writing.

Additionally, the landlord must keep detailed record of the hours worked by the manager, regardless of whether that labor is used to offset rent or is paid to the manager directly. Not keeping such records is a serious violation of labor law in any workplace.

If you need more information, google 'California Department of Industrial Relations' and 'IWC order 5-2001'.

OMG... I been the on-site manager for a 21 unit building for over 5 years. The management company only gives me and husband $100.00 off the rent. I show the units, etc. Now the comapny aquired a 85 unit building down the street. It's has no on-site manager and they ask me to show the vacant unit until one is hired. So far I rented out 6 unit within the last week.. Here's the problem nothing is in writing. What should I do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

46 months ago

It doesn't matter that nothing is in writing, the law still applies. I would contact an attorney who specializes in such claims.... like the attorney who represented me. Email me if you want his name/contact info: charlie.wade@gmail.com.

sandy 777 in Los Angeles, California

46 months ago

Charlie Wade in Bay Area, California said: It doesn't matter that nothing is in writing, the law still applies. I would contact an attorney who specializes in such claims.... like the attorney who represented me. Email me if you want his name/contact info: charlie.wade@gmail.com.

How does the court figure out how much the management company owes
you? Are there also fines that the comapany must pay?

HUDMANAGER in Sacramento, California

46 months ago

When your salaried you may only make an equivilant to minimum wage. MOst salaried employees are not entitled to over-time either. Depends on your state too! YOur experience, size of property will help to decide. If you have a 108 unit property and it is tax credit or hud, you could make up too 4000 per month plus apt and utilities. Convential properties you can make more. Make sure you have your years of experience and have the skills to back it up. I know some manager's who make 65K a year.

calvinjones0101 in NY, United States minor outlying islands

45 months ago

If you travel often, closely examine the continental and similar coverage included with the policy. For frequent travellers, it is usually worth the added expenditure to achieve proper insurance while on the road.

calvinjones0101 in NY, United States minor outlying islands

45 months ago

calvinjones0101 in NY, United States minor outlying islands said: If you travel often, closely examine the continental and similar coverage included with the policy. For frequent travellers, it is usually worth the added expenditure to achieve proper insurance while on the road.

please feel free to visit
==============
[url=www.motorhomeinsurance.org]motorhomeinsurance.org[/url]

Mizzy in San Diego, California

45 months ago

Wow, I have been in propety management for almost two years now, and just got a new job in the industry. I did not realize how low some people get paid. This is a 24 hour job, and can now say that I am quite lucky to have a job that compensates me adequately for the work that I do. I am very ambitious, and hope to make much more in the near future, but certainly now think that I am doing quite fine for now.

From what I read, many of you are getting paid verly low. I suggest you find a reputable company to work for!!!

Soo in Los Angeles, California

43 months ago

I live in Los Angeles, Also most downtown 73 unit apartment, vacancy turn over about 2 to 3 each month
I am getting 1 bed and Den for free, NO UT included. I get pay $1000 a month thats it. no insurance no commision no bonus. I have to stay at office at Lobby almost 8 hours a day.
Collect rents, take work orders,renovate vacancy and work with vendors and maintanence guy., we only have one. Lease units,order supplies for the maintenance workers. I have to like study the books to know what to buy., almost like contractor. Many times our repair guy doesn't know what to do. Than I have to call all other vendors that we use and ask them what to buy to use this repair man that I have here who is very new to this kind fo work.
building is 20 years old which is not really taken care of from previous mananger who is very elder, also they still live onsite here. He had to retire. He was almost like king here. abusing tenants not repairing ontime and doing all kinds of things to make extra money. now that Im here all the tenants come to me to repair.....I do light cleaning outside and inside just picking up trash but when trash chute gets stuck I have to take care of that on the weekends and all other after hours. Also anything happens after my repair guy leaves. I have to be always alert on weekens and night time. Many emergency happened due to lack of maintenance from old manager. I had to change all the rules and educate all the tenants as soon as I took over. thats what management company wanted...
Also this so call leasing office was almost like a storge very very small place with window all dirty can not even open.. I had to clean up and make this room office for me to sit there 8 hours... no AC so it gets super hot in summer. I have to bring down my own computer to work on.... I work alone no one else with one mainenance man.
Am I getting under pay? Some one told me I am getting way under pay for my work.

Let me know?

sadudu in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

I've been an apartment manager for about 14 years. I have managed 2 small buildings consisting of 62 units.
Every month i sign that i have not gone over 120 of work time, but the truth is I'm here 24/7. (After all, who knows what kind of emergency can be?)
They pay me 1,200 a month for 130 hours only.
Benefits include a 200$ monthly medical fee (coming out of my salary), 2 bedrooms, electric, gas.
I'm managing, by myself, 2 entire buildings, I clean the interior and exterior of 2 buildings, i also am in charge of gardening (watering flowers, planting, sweeping) i have to show apartments, repair plumbing (toilette inside of the tank, leaking faucet) i have to prepare the apartment for vacancy (installing bar towels, medicine cabinets, mirror, and other things) i have to repairing plugs, install ceiling fan,changing locks, cleaning filters from A/C,install mini blinds,3 days notice,renting, etc.. and inspect all apartments 2 times a year to test smoke detectors, and replace the non-working ones,and many more.......

I "LOVE" THIS JOB!!! I RECOMMEND THIS KIND OF JOB TO "EVERYONE", IT FEELS SO "GOOD" ESPECIALLY WHEN ANY TIME AND ALL THE TIME SOMEONE IS KNOCKING TO YOUR DOOR(WHEN YOUR APARTMENT IS OFFICE TOO).

Soo in Los Angeles, California

42 months ago

wow all I can say is you are way under pay for all the work that u are doing right now...... talk to lawyer....serioulsy...
but me too I do all these work 24/7
just today., someone poop on the stairway (carpet) inside the building... it was human poop....and it was mushie one..(screaming) dunno whos.. but who have to clean this? me.......it was horrible day for me... I want to kill who did this... lol anyway than someone got stuck inside elevator the other day at 10 pm...... you know whats next story...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ricardo in Hawthorne, California

38 months ago

Fred in San Diego, California said: Actually under the law I quoted above AND working as a team (husband and wife) the "minimum" wage in CA would be $53,248 per year.

Hi Fred how are you? question: are you guys worked 40 hrs a week each? We are a on-site property manager for 32 units in the City of Hawthorne, CA and we received just 2 bed apartment and utilities for free in the amount US$ 1.135. Do you think it is illegal? Thank you ! Ricardo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mister in Redding, California

37 months ago

I currently "manage" just over 30 units. I get about $400 each month(check) and a 3bed, 2.5bath unit(rent covered). I work M-F, 4 hours each day(obviously emergencies would take me outside that window) and bonuses if rentals stay full and budget is clear. That is my "salaried" work. At 20 hours a week, including rent as the $ to get an hourly wage I make over $15 an hour. Outside that I write down hours for "emergencies" at $10.00 an hour. As managers we all "work" 24/7, but in my experience, at most in my "salaried" work, I put in 25-30 hours a week and I could write those extra hours in. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't...depends on mood really. I feel frustrated sometimes, with myself, never my employer...they seem fair, I get 10 days paid vacation, 5 sick days paid, there's xmas parties, company picnicks and the sort, and they actually seem to care :) If they offered me a larger property at the same money, I'd decline obviously, but am content where I am for now!

MizrahiPrince in San Bernardino, California

32 months ago

So,

I've read this thread in its entirety, and I'm pretty ashamed that some of you guys are being treated in such an unfair way. I'm about to buy (2) 200-unit apartments, and I was on here to do some research on what is fair compensation for my future managers. I had never thought that apt. managers were treated in this way, and it never crossed my mind to treat them so bad. I think the least amount of money I would have paid someone would have been about $18 an hour and that doesn't include bonuses or anything else besides base compensation (because, trust me, apartment complexes, even with huge loans, are still making tons of money).

Now that I know, do you guys have any advice on the work conditions, hours, salaries, etc., for my managers? I'm starting them off near $22.50 with free rent and utilities, and weekends off except emergencies, which I think is fair for the amount of work that they'll be doing. Landscaping, maintenance, etc., will be contracted out unless they're licensed (and it will be a pair of managers probably, not just one manager per complex).

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

MizrahiPrince in San Bernardino, California

32 months ago

MizrahiPrince in San Bernardino, California said: So,

I've read this thread in its entirety, and I'm pretty ashamed that some of you guys are being treated in such an unfair way. I'm about to buy (2) 200-unit apartments, and I was on here to do some research on what is fair compensation for my future managers. I had never thought that apt. managers were treated in this way, and it never crossed my mind to treat them so bad. I think the least amount of money I would have paid someone would have been about $18 an hour and that doesn't include bonuses or anything else besides base compensation (because, trust me, apartment complexes, even with huge loans, are still making tons of money).

Now that I know, do you guys have any advice on the work conditions, hours, salaries, etc., for my managers? I'm starting them off near $22.50 with free rent and utilities, and weekends off except emergencies, which I think is fair for the amount of work that they'll be doing. Landscaping, maintenance, etc., will be contracted out unless they're licensed (and it will be a pair of managers probably, not just one manager per complex).

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

They're actually salaried, not hourly.

Jamie in Chula Vista, California

32 months ago

Hello MizrahiPrince,

I think the fact that you are actually really researching about how to properly treat your managers is a great start! For a property to run smoothly, you need to make sure that your manager is passionate about their job and truly care about what they are doing. It will represent the property accordingly.

I am assuming that you are also hiring a full time maintenance supervisor. 200 units is a lot of work, and you should have sufficient staff so that the person in the office is not overwhelmed. If they are the only person on site, I think that the salary that you are suggesting is appropiate for the job. I personally, would not want to work salaried because sometimes that means a lot of overtime without the adequate compensation. Although, on the other hand, a manager job is a 24 hour job so it would be necessary for such a large property. I think if you have the basic benefits like medical, dental, and maybe a 401k you will have a very well compensated employee. One suggestion that I do have is to let the manager MANAGE their property. You need to hire someone whose judgement you trust, and set your limits but let them be! One issue that I find with my current company is that they control everything that I do, every vendor that I use, and they do not allow or promote competiveness withing vendors and it's losing the properties money!!!

Good Luck.

Wendy Wood in Mililani, Hawaii

31 months ago

Sudie said: That is interesting info. On my biweekly paycheck it shows that I've worked 50 hours at 11.00 an hour. So, I now only work (have my office open) for 5 hours a day Mon-Fri. I do get a free apartment as well. It would take a lot of effort to figure out what I'm really making if I add the apartment compensation into the calculations. There is, however, all the times you have to answer the door (when at home) for tenant (so called emergencies) that never get figured in to the "time worked". It's all so random I dont think I would stress out on trying to figure it. I'm sure my company would find a way to fire me if I really started adding in all of the OVERTIME. Fighting it and going to court would be a complete pain in the neck. So,I guess I'll just be thankful for what I have. No med and dental insurance is the worst of it tho.

You are entitled to medical insurance through the affordability law. Also, if you are doing your job well, renewing leases, stagering expirations, keeping the units full without unnecessary concession or rent reductions, your owners should be happy to provide medical. I am an owner of several apts in WA and CA, we always provide medical and an apt. OUr resident managers are very happy.

cutiehawk in Vancouver, Washington

28 months ago

As we are on site managers of 23 units; we receive free rent, electric, internet which THEY value @ 1800.00 for 2 bedrooms. We receive 400.00 a week with a demand of 80 hours and account for what you have done. We are now construction workers, construction cleanup, moving van lines, furniture assemblers and oh; did I forget; all the tenants. We don't know if this is right. We are tired and moving on!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MizrahiPrince in Loma Linda, California

28 months ago

Cutiehawk, it sounds like they're overpricing the value of your apt. and utilities, although I'm not exactly sure how much your electricity and internet are.

Here in California, where everything is very pricey, a 2 bedroom is around 1K, with a studio slightly lower at around $750.

As for your pay... It wouldn't hurt to raise it up a bit, taking the fact that you're putting in 80 hours (a week, I'm assuming).

Personally, I wouldn't take any manager job that doesn't pay at least $15 an hour, and that's being cheap.

Poor Man in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

Here in California, where everything is very pricey, a 2 bedroom is around 1K, with a studio slightly lower at around $750.

Your figures are way low for California. An average 2 bedroom in Los Angeles goes for over $1,500. And an average 1 bedroom is over $1200. A decent studio is over $900.

MizrahiPrince in Loma Linda, California

28 months ago

Huge metropolitan areas are not necessarily areas that I'm looking at, although for L.A. and surrounding areas, you are of course, correct.

In most areas, you can get a decent studio between $750 and $900, and most advertised prices tend to be on the lower side of that scale.

Red Cricket in Raleigh, North Carolina

18 months ago

Hello out there! I just stumbled on this forum, hoping to get some insight about a situation I have found myself in: For 7 years, I have been living in the same apartment - originally as a resident. The owner became a friend of mine. When he sold the building he enlisted my assistance (I have past experience as a leasing agent/ weekend manager) for the new owners. While this is a small complex of 10 units, they have never owned a multi-unit property before. Gradually, they began to ask for more help and to travel extensively. They are generally here for 3-4 months a year. While they are out of state, they refer to me as their "onsite property manager." My husband handles the maintenance aspect of the business for them, which they rely on me to schedule. There is no office on the property, so residents come to my door or call my phones - any time. I perform all of the tasks that are expected of a property manager with the exceptions of rent collection, and credit checks. Residents are expected to deposit rent payments into the owners' account and the owners perform their own credit check on applicants. So here's my question: How do I establish fair wages in an on-call situation that evolved from offering advice once in a while? Currently, I am expected to keep a log of the minutes I am engaged in an activity. This is paid at the rate of $10 an hour.

CUNFUCIUS I AM in BELMONT, California

18 months ago

so you have some experience now. move on, find something better for yourself. stop trying to change someone who is obviously only giving you a nickel and a dime for you hard work.

Red Cricket in Raleigh, North Carolina

18 months ago

CUNFUCIUS I AM in BELMONT, California said: so you have some experience now. move on, find something better for yourself. stop trying to change someone who is obviously only giving you a nickel and a dime for you hard work.

Thank you for your response. After reviewing my post, I realize that I should have asked my question differently. I am relatively certain that my family and I will need to move to escape this situation - but I would like to offer the property owners an alternative. I feel that a possible alternative would be: a rent reduction and perhaps a small hourly amount wage. I'm not clear, however, what that percentage should be and was hoping for some thoughts. Thanks again :)

CUNFUCIUS I AM in BELMONT, California

18 months ago

look on craigslist in your area to see what other property owners are offering. you just might find a better offer for yourself at the same time. this will give you more confidence when you approach your property owner to make a better deal for yourself. if you don't get a better deal you'll know what to do or at least where to go. so many owners are unwilling to give more until you tell them you will be leaving. so wait for the right time for yourself. people like us are a dime a dozen, there is always someone readily found to step in to our shoes, but only we know how good we are and how much we care about the property, and how much we take our jobs with great responsibility. problem is we are always the ones that are underpaid for our good work, so its up to us to find better for ourselves, to move up, to go out and find that better deal.

janicehg1 in Springfield, New Jersey

4 months ago

Hi, my husband & I currently live in N.J. we are looking to move back to Ca. where we lived before. I used to manage apartments 20 years ago & want to get back into the business. I am trying to secure a job out in Ca. as a "husband & wife team" managing apartments. I have been looking on Indeed, Career Builders, Wullo, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions? All will be appreciated.

janicehg1 in Springfield, New Jersey

4 months ago

How much "weight" does a C.A.M. Certification hold when applying for a Apartment Manager position? Debating becoming certified.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.