unprofessional manager

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Joney Smith in Plano, Texas

93 months ago

My cousin has just moved into a new apartment complex that is pretty small compared to most. There are probably about 26-30 units. Her lease for for the first of april and since then the manager has come by to make small talk about 15-30 times. On april 5 he decided to come by around 8:30p.m. for her to sign her lease in the middle of dinner with her family. One day he came by and knocked on the door and when she answered the door the first think he asked was "how old do you think I am?" She is very disturbed by him. We have notice that there are a lot of empty units in the 26-30 units that are there. I have a feeling that the reason that there are alot of empty apartments is because there is no way to find out who the owner is. Every number leads back to his cell phone. There is no listing on line of anyone else but him. I am sure that he does not volunteer that information. My cousin is thankful for the apartment becuase she has two boys and two girls and they have a 2 bedroom apartment with a squarefootage of 1100. She is very comfortable there it is just that manager that concerns her. My cousins son took off his shoes before coming in one day and he came by to say he does not like the shoes next to the door but next door at the neighbors there was a bbq grill, ice chest and a mop. There are several apartments with grills in the front. So my questions is, what can people do in this situation? How does she find out who the owner is? How can she file a complaint? Please help my cousin really does not want to have to move her children again but this manager makes her nervous.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

La in Albuquerque, New Mexico

93 months ago

I am an apartment manager and I just want to say that on her lease there should be a corporate number or address. She can also call the better business bureau to find out as well. She can also go to Legal Aide and make a complaint they should be able to tell her what company the complex is with. She can also tell legal aide about the shoes and the neighbors bbq grill and say it is a form of discrimination because the other people have stuff outside of their door. Bottom line what it comes down to in the apartment business is "Fair Housing" meaning you do for one then you do for all. An apartment manager should never go to a resident's apartment without giving notice especially to get a lease signed that is in office work. Make sure she reads her lease thoroughly before signing. Also, Legal Aide is to help tenants so they will listen and provide some type of help and support.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Betsey P. in Petoskey, Michigan

81 months ago

An easy way to find the owner of any property is to contact your county's equalization office and ask them to look it up. They should be able to give you the owner's name and address and possibly a telephone number. I'd try to contact the owner immediately and very politely express your concern to them. Good luck with that!

La in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: I am an apartment manager and I just want to say that on her lease there should be a corporate number or address. She can also call the better business bureau to find out as well. She can also go to Legal Aide and make a complaint they should be able to tell her what company the complex is with. She can also tell legal aide about the shoes and the neighbors bbq grill and say it is a form of discrimination because the other people have stuff outside of their door. Bottom line what it comes down to in the apartment business is "Fair Housing" meaning you do for one then you do for all. An apartment manager should never go to a resident's apartment without giving notice especially to get a lease signed that is in office work. Make sure she reads her lease thoroughly before signing. Also, Legal Aide is to help tenants so they will listen and provide some type of help and support.

Kate in Moreno Valley, California

81 months ago

I have found that fair housing is my best friend. Make a complaint with fair housing. They will also be able to point you in the right direction.

Joney Smith in Plano, Texas said: My cousin has just moved into a new apartment complex that is pretty small compared to most. There are probably about 26-30 units. Her lease for for the first of april and since then the manager has come by to make small talk about 15-30 times. On april 5 he decided to come by around 8:30p.m. for her to sign her lease in the middle of dinner with her family. One day he came by and knocked on the door and when she answered the door the first think he asked was "how old do you think I am?" She is very disturbed by him. We have notice that there are a lot of empty units in the 26-30 units that are there. I have a feeling that the reason that there are alot of empty apartments is because there is no way to find out who the owner is. Every number leads back to his cell phone. There is no listing on line of anyone else but him. I am sure that he does not volunteer that information. My cousin is thankful for the apartment becuase she has two boys and two girls and they have a 2 bedroom apartment with a squarefootage of 1100. She is very comfortable there it is just that manager that concerns her. My cousins son took off his shoes before coming in one day and he came by to say he does not like the shoes next to the door but next door at the neighbors there was a bbq grill, ice chest and a mop. There are several apartments with grills in the front. So my questions is, what can people do in this situation? How does she find out who the owner is? How can she file a complaint? Please help my cousin really does not want to have to move her children again but this manager makes her nervous.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.