Becoming a Freelancer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

KA76 in Denver, Colorado

70 months ago

So, I have about 10 years of experience in the private security/loss prevention field, and I'm looking into what it would take to provide some freelance security for meetings, parties, and other events. Not looking to start a company, etc., but I want to be able to legally provide security services, while armed (concealed), and receive payment.

Does anybody know what kind of certification and licensing I'd need? Do I need to be bonded/insured? What steps do I need to take?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

895 in Dundee, Michigan

69 months ago

Some states require you to have a security or investigators license. Very few states will allow you to do what you are wanting to do. I have been working law enforcement, security and investigations for 22+ years. Most states require you to have a degree and at least 2 years of work related experience as a supervisor or above.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sunman in Tulsa, Oklahoma

27 months ago

KA76 in Denver, Colorado said: So, I have about 10 years of experience in the private security/ loss prevention field, and I'm looking into what it would take to provide some freelance security for meetings, parties, and other events . Not looking to start a company, etc., but I want to be able to legally provide security services, while armed (concealed), and receive payment.

Does anybody know what kind of certification and licensing I'd need? Do I need to be bonded/insured? What steps do I need to take?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

In Oklahoma , you must attend security training classes that prepare you for the state exam. Those are seperated in to different levels I , II, III, IV with IV being the armed license. Once you pass your state exam and become licensed and bonded, you can then freelance in the security business operating by your self only. If you have other people working with you that is considered an agency and requires a different license. I hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.