What are the best armed security officer qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

What is the best training for becoming an armed security officer? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective armed security officer?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

bernard in Brentwood, New York

90 months ago

i would like to find a armed class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jarrett pla in Tampa, Florida

89 months ago

bernard in Brentwood, New York said: i would like to find a armed class

looking to get into armed secuity, have had my CDL for 7 years. and would like to get in a new career. thanks for yor time , and hope to here from you soon, so that i may get started soon into my New career!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Keith L in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming an armed security officer? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective armed security officer?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

What state are you in?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gixxer32404 in Tallahassee, Florida

77 months ago

jarrett pla in Tampa, Florida said: looking to get into armed secuity, have had my CDL for 7 years. and would like to get in a new career. thanks for yor time , and hope to here from you soon, so that i may get started soon into my New career!!!

You are joking right? I've had my Armed and armed license for years, never any work. I've had cdlsince 1999 and no work now in cdl field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Nate in Grand Rapids, Michigan

77 months ago

I, too, am considering something in an armed security field. I only have a semester of law enforcement education, none other than that. I'm a former martial arts student, no black belt but feel confident in hand-to-hand self defense; I'm a handgun fanatic with license to carry in Michigan (and reciprocating states)and have taken a couple little 1-day combat pistol courses and other than that, only training from videos. I'm very capable as well as safety-conciencious as far as firearms, professional, and good in public relations. I have a physical labor background. Where would someone recommend I go from here? Would pay rate reflect my out-of-pocket training expenses because budget is very tight. - Nate in Kalamazoo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Oregon Security Training in Portland, Oregon

77 months ago

Oregon Security Training
"Be Safe Out There!"

In Oregon the DPSST (Police Academy) regulates Private Security. Oregon law requires every security professional be licensed after an FBI background check, 12.0 hours of classroom and assessment module training, fees and 18+ years of age (Un-Armed).

Armed Security Officers must complete the Un-Armed "BASIC" training and then an additional 24.0 hr course for Armed Security, as well as be 21+ years old.

The cost of training ranges and is done by certified instructors either working for the security company (In-House) or by independent contractors. To get hired it is BEST to have your license(s) PRIOR to employment. Companies like to save money on the initial expense of training, and it shows motivation on the part of the Un-Armed security professional or armed officer.

The license belongs to the individual and it is their sole responsibility to maintain it. Armed security officers must complete a 4.0 hour yearly training/qualification the PQC-I Basic DPSST standard for all, in addition to that a 4.0 hour Un-Armed refresher is requires upon renewal of license every 2 years. Un-Armed security professionals must complete the 2 year course and renew as well only once every 2 years.

Because the DPSST regulates the training in conjunction with Private Security industry representatives the standards are high and the opportunities to work into law enforcement, parole/probation, and corrections work are quite common.

Good Luck, and remember...

"Be Safe Out There!"

Respectfully,

Oregon Security Training
"Be Safe Out There!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thanks for the very informative reply. I'm in Michigan but I would imagine that this info goes for the majority of security professionals everywhere, and that states' standards would be similar - thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John in Clintondale, New York

77 months ago

As far as work goes most of the guys I know including myself are working on GOV contracts they seem to pay the best depending on the location.Also check with some of the larger Security companies like Wackenhut,Triple canopy,Chenega,Dyncorp etc those are your best bet go to www.indeed.com (keyword) armed security

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

77 months ago

thanks much. I've already got a CPL (CCW) and carry what I consider to be a good pistol, although opinions seem to vary. It would be wonderful if I didn't have to buy a Glock or Beretta or XD - I've put probably 1500 rounds of miscellaneous fodder thru my Taurus; Italian, Russian, US, reloads... the weapon has never once hick-up'd, stove-piped, misfired - no complaints. ...And that's having dropped it 3x (embarassing). Nothing makes you cringe like the sound of your pistol hitting the floor! But I'm off track - thanks for the input.

John in Clintondale, New York

77 months ago

Nate,
another big thing is networking.I still keep in contact with guys I worked with on different security details and they call me to let me know whats available.Are you interested in relocating, that might be an option. Keep on it Nate you'll get there

Jeffrey O. Jones in Petersburg, Virginia

75 months ago

Keith L in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: What state are you in?

I live in Richmond, va.
I want to enter the armed security field

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeffrey O. Jones in Petersburg, Virginia

75 months ago

What should I do first

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Oregon Security Training in Portland, Oregon

74 months ago

Jeffrey O. Jones,

Contact the "Department of Criminal Justice Services"

The rules here will not let me post website or phone number

(Take the first letter in CAPS, spell out your state name, and search with a "dot gov"

Respectfully,

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.