How do people stay in security jobs for so long?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Eric in Oxnard, California

33 months ago

I'm wondering how people do this? I've browsed through so many security jobs, and security companies, and I'm amazed at the discussions about how they've been in security for like 20 years or so. Don't you only make like $9 AT THE MOST, starting out? Not only that but depending on the company, you're getting switched to different security sites a lot. I think it would be fine if you're doing this when you're going to school, or you're a young adult trying to make a couple extra dollars, but if you have a family and this is you're job, do you need another job other than this too?

I'm only saying this because I was prior military/MP and I'm trying to get some Law Enforcement/Security jobs but these jobs don't seem appetizing. I've seen jerks on youtube talking smack to security guards and doing/saying this and that to them, just don't know why you guys, who have been doing this for A LONG time, put up with this. Please try to give me some more information on this subject if you could please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Washington, District of Columbia

31 months ago

I make approximately 60k a year, and I'm prior military, working in a security job. You have to find the right jobs and use those jobs as a reference to find a better job. A lot of times the ones that people put up with for 9-10 bucks an hour are because those people have no ambition and no intent to train themselves to do anything more than stand in one place holding up a wall. I was making 9-10 bucks an hour risking my life daily in a rough nightclub environment in North Philly and from that walked into another $9 an hour job until they read my resume and translated my experience into this 60k a year job not doing much at all. Professionalism is the difference, because even though this job can be boring and I'm surrounded with incompetent people, I keep myself sharp for any eventuality through training, often at my own expense, although often I can find free courses by keeping my ear to the ground. Doing so has allowed me to become useful in aspects that will hopefully take me off the posts and eventually into the corner office and a gym membership(which I'll need because the active work environment days are pretty much done) Then again, the location plays a big part in it all as well. Where I'm at, 9-10 bucks an hour is starvation wages and not enough to even pay rent. Best advice: invest in yourself, take as many training classes as possible (lots of free ones online: google: emergency management institute to take FEMA independent study courses for free, which are management level) You can also use your innate clearances from the military to get a GSA armed security position which often in my area pays around $30/hr (or roughly 60-75k a year). Some companies will pay for your certification outright, whereas others will require you to work minimum wage until you are cleared hot by DHS. You should also network by joining your local CERT team or becoming a volunteer firefighter, both of which expose you to plenty of free training and job opportunities.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eric in La Palma, California

30 months ago

Awesome comment! I'll have to start looking for those types of jobs, it's really difficult in these times of days! But thanks a lot that really helped!

Twisted in Bronx, New York

28 months ago

I make 52k a year as Capt. of the guards, I started as a regular guard at 11hr, the key is to dedicate yourself to doing better. Stay away from the BS and do your job, you will get noticed and with time grow with your company. But that's only possible if you really dedicate yourself. I love my job, I have a company phone, car, bonuses and all the perks that come with it. Not all security jobs are the same, you have to weed out the companies you know are not going anywhere and look for a Security firm who has been around for a while, that means you will be around for a while. I'm going on 10+ years now.

Twisted in Bronx, New York

28 months ago

I make 52k a year as Capt. of the guards, I started as a regular guard at 11hr, the key is to dedicate yourself to doing better. Stay away from the BS and do your job, you will get noticed and with time grow with your company. But that's only possible if you really dedicate yourself. I love my job, I have a company phone, car, bonuses and all the perks that come with it. Not all security jobs are the same, you have to weed out the companies you know are not going anywhere and look for a Security firm who has been around for a while, that means you will be around for a while. I'm going on 10+ years now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.