What do you enjoy most about your armed security officer career?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Host

What do you enjoy most about being an armed security officer? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Ben Bennett in Jacksonville, North Carolina

107 months ago

Working in the armed security field is just as rewarding as
working in the public sector law enforcemenet field if you
work for the right company. At least it has been for me. !
The salaries continue to improve, and with this now being
a post 09-11-01 world in which we live in the armed security
field has just about become as common as TV's and Computers
in the home and buisness. I only wish states would grant a
little more power for the armed security officer. ( such as
in South Carolina where the private security officer has full
powers of arrest )

Ben Bennett - 30 year law enforcement, tactical armed
security, corrections, and public safety communications
veteran. GREENSBORO, N.C.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Keith L in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

101 months ago

I work armed security regularly with a female and I would not mess with her!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

michael ford in New Brunswick, New Jersey

101 months ago

i injoy provideing a safe atmosphere

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Brian in Lakeland, Florida

96 months ago

Armed security positions are not plentiful. Unarmed is very common to find especially at lower the pay scale. I got my armed license but there's no work all the time for it and it costs alot to become armed. I don't recommed it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

chris in Leesburg, Florida

87 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being an armed security officer? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

the excellent "pay" $ 18.76 Hr. - Armed Guard for the "FAA" AT THE MAJOR AIRPORT. The fact that its a good work location and very quiet. the easier money I ever made. What I dislike is the fact that my employer doesn't believe in pay raises. The company doesn't understand that the cost living keeps going up , not to mention the gas prices......thanks to that jerk of a president -Obama.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

dvaughn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Be, in the Commonwealth of PA, as an Act 235 Certified security officer (armed, AGENT), you can execute an arrest, based upon the "Citizens Arrest" statute and principle. Unlike a municipal police officer, or State Trooper, Sheriff, etc, an ACT235 AGENT, can make an arrest, ONLY, if an actual FELONY has been witnessed by the Agent. However, certification in the use of handcuffs may be required.

For example, you could be working a contract as an armed security officer, and a customer begins to attack another femail patron with a lethal weapon. This is FELONY assault, therefore, it is your duty to protect the patron, and those around her. You may then subdue the suspect, handcuff, and if your intention is to contact the local police and serve as a witness to the crime, then you should inform the suspect that " I am placing you under citizens arrest".

There are similar statues in other states as well.

Ben Bennett in Jacksonville, North Carolina said: Working in the armed security field is just as rewarding as
working in the public sector law enforcemenet field if you
work for the right company. At least it has been for me. !
The salaries continue to improve, and with this now being
a post 09-11-01 world in which we live in the armed security
field has just about become as common as TV's and Computers
in the home and buisness. I only wish states would grant a
little more power for the armed security officer. ( such as
in South Carolina where the private security officer has full
powers of arrest )

Ben Bennett - 30 year law enforcement, tactical armed
security, corrections, and public safety communications
veteran. GREENSBORO, N.C.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dvaughn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

85 months ago

Brian in Lakeland, Florida said: Armed security positions are not plentiful. Unarmed is very common to find especially at lower the pay scale. I got my armed license but there's no work all the time for it and it costs alot to become armed. I don't recommed it.

Brian,

You have to make your own opportunity. In PA, a 235 Certified Armed security officer can work anywhere in the State. Often times, you have to reach out to organizations and small business, and "sell yourself" and an agent. It may also be helpful for you to purchase liability insurance, and become bonded. Being self employed, and insured may increase your chances in the field.

Don't loose hope. There is a reason why this process to become an office is costly, and takes time. Not everyone is qualified, or can afford it. Therefore, you are a part of a unique group of people in your community whom can bear arms while in the line of duty and afforded the role of protecting others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

wrharland in Akron, Ohio

85 months ago

Host said: What do you enjoy most about being an armed security officer? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

Working in the hood. I work in the Cleveland projects. I seen my first shooting within my first week

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

whatever in West Palm Beach, Florida

85 months ago

you asked what do I see in being an armed officer, first of all the money is more, you dont get used so much than an unarmed officer, do all different things, like working at a hospital site, you are being a information/helper, worker for every job, but security. Than you have to make sure, if there is an incident, you can protect yourself and others. This is the only thing I can image everyone is trying to become a G-Officer.
I hope, you have another answer to this.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dustinlee in Greenville, South Carolina

77 months ago

I have been doing unarmed Private Security for myself & I have a small very well trained group that we always work together. We usually work the bars and clubs most others wont even get out of there car, much less go inside. By no means am I bragging but we have made it out with no injuries to us..Ex: 3 of us had 30 plus people turn on us last year...I Love kevlar, gloves saved us from being cut bad. We have been doing this for 12 plus years. Were all getting older & counting down our 9 lives. We have looked into doing security at a more relaxed place but cant survive on the minimal wage they wont to pay! I would like to learn what steps to take to get several of us fully certified as armed security & start our own(even tho we have a good repitation for cleaning up) fully logit & registered company. How do I go about doing this?? We all have clean records but know to many people to go work Law Enforcement. We work all of SC, Charlotte & Atlanta when called in few several weeks to clean the crowd up. Its very dangerous I know, dealing with drugs & gangs but we usually average $30-$40 an hr cash at the end of every night. But like I said, you cant keep pushing the limits. We all want to stay in the business & we have done some bodyguard & PI work (but thats hit or miss) we all need everything set up logit...so no legal issues and as well to make steady income. That way we can leave some of the other higher but dangerous places alone. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would also like to obtain a security clearence. I myself, was a residentual contractor but had to let my business go last year (2009) due to the economy. I have worked in a variety of places through the years. I have had some state constable training as well as was invited to take the training to work at Nuclear Stations. I do not however have military or full Police Academy training. This is something I really want to persue, but not sure who to call or where to start...I want to start ASAP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

dustinlee in Greenville, South Carolina

77 months ago

In reference to my above comment....several of us, including me, are willing to relocate. I know Florida well too...Ive worked construction & security down near Miami. Please email me with any links, numbers etc. to EliteServices_Inc@yahoo.com

Again, thanks for any help.

Dustin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Yea Really in Haverhill, Massachusetts

76 months ago

chris in Leesburg, Florida said: the excellent "pay" $ 18.76 Hr. - Armed Guard for the "FAA" AT THE MAJOR AIRPORT. The fact that its a good work location and very quiet. the easier money I ever made. What I dislike is the fact that my employer doesn't believe in pay raises. The company doesn't understand that the cost living keeps going up , not to mention the gas prices......thanks to that jerk of a president -Obama.......
I hear you on cost of living and gas going up. They don't care they'll just replace you if you complain.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

whatever in West Palm Beach, Florida

76 months ago

You must be kidding, with 18.76 hrl. I would not say one word, how about in South Florida you get 7.25 up to 8.00 somtetimes if you are lucky for an event 10.00. With that kind of pay, if you can not make it, get a second job. Cost of living, who cares, if I would get 18.76 hrl. I would not open my mouth.

Gas is going down again.

Do not say jerk, you think Bush was good, terrible, we would not be in this situation, if he would have stayed out of Iraq.

The mess one is making, is hard for the other to get out.

Try it yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

row in Lakewood, Washington

71 months ago

i want to start a business the same as you dustin lee. im creating a squad of four or five people to be armed security for people going overseas like missionaries.
we all have our own body armor. tactical helmets and our own firearms. we are going to get trained by a military sgt with 8 plus years and deployment exp.
this idea is good any suggestions. do i need any licenses to start? i really wanna do this just to help missionaries come back without being harmed

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anderson in Kokomo, Indiana

65 months ago

To be honest there are some ups and downs to the armed security job i work. I enjoy being able to provide a safe presence and to have a weapon available for personal protection compared to the other 2 security positions i have worked which were unarmed. The pay isn't great but it's fair at just over 11.00 an hour. I hated the fact that with unarmed security you are so vulnerable. I feel like anytime you wear any kind of public safety/law enforcement uniform you need a weapon, pepper spray if nothing else. Armed jobs are really hard to find becuase of security companies dont' want the liability and clients are worried about offending people. There are a few people that have found a good armed job with decent pay and have made a career out of it, but it's really rare. I'm always looking for better oppurtunities myself. My particular job is quite boring as well. If you can find an armed job that has a balance of decent pay and if it keeps you productive where time moves fairly fast then you got it made, otherwise it's just a stepping stone to something bigger in the future.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

MJS in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

56 months ago

dvaughn in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Be, in the Commonwealth of PA, as an Act 235 Certified security officer (armed, AGENT), you can execute an arrest, based upon the "Citizens Arrest" statute and principle. Unlike a municipal police officer, or State Trooper, Sheriff, etc, an ACT235 AGENT, can make an arrest, ONLY, if an actual FELONY has been witnessed by the Agent. However, certification in the use of handcuffs may be required.

Actually any private citizen may arrest an offender for any felony or breach of peace committed in their presence, this includes misdemeanor offenses, in any State except for North Carolina, which has no statute for citizen's arrest. The case law on this is the Commonwealth v Corley 1983 (a PA Superior Court case by the way). Act 235 covers the carrying and use of a straight baton, handgun, and shotgun (if one has the F certification, the L only covers straight baton). One does not have to be certified in OC, expandable baton, or handcuffing, but it surely reduces liability.
- Your fellow Retired Police Officer, multi State certified Instructor, including PA Lethal Weapons Training Instructor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jimmy in Woodbridge, New Jersey

51 months ago

so im guessing president bush was better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Monica in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

6 months ago

whatever in West Palm Beach, Florida said: You must be kidding, with 18.76 hr. I would not say one word, how about in South Florida you get 7.25 up to 8.00 somtetimes if you are lucky for an event 10.00. With that kind of pay, if you can not make it, get a second job. Cost of living, who cares, if I would get 18.76 hrl. I would not open my mouth.

Gas is going down again.

Do not say jerk, you think Bush was good, terrible, we would not be in this situation, if he would have stayed out of Iraq .

The mess one is making, is hard for the other to get out.

Try it yourself.

No dogone way the only pay $7-$8 for armed security!! I don't care where you live!! Even in the private sector that is insane!! Maybe for unarmed security that is acceptable but not for armed. No one would pay the money to get the cert. And no oone with a cert is going to work for that little pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.