The best part is...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What do you enjoy most about art director work? What do you dislike the most? Is it challenging? Are there many opportunities to learn and advance?

What keeps you at your job?

Reply - Report abuse

Coby Neill in Nixa, Missouri

88 months ago

The best part of being an art director is coming with a great idea that gets sold "as is".

The worst part is all the changes that most of your projects have to suffer through.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Patrick Tormey in Santa Cruz, California

54 months ago

I am currently a 3rd year Anthropology student, and am debating whether a career in anthropolgy is right for me. Art has always been large portion of my life and I have always enjoyed drawing and coming up with interesting ideas. i can work in any medium, and am always willing to try new things artistically. In the end, I feel as if I should go with a career that I know i will enjoy, and art fits that category.
If I were pursue a job in the art departments of the film or television industry, how should I go about prepareing myself? I have taken studio art classes throughout my life, however, have not been exposed to art in the sense of a career choice. Since, at this point in my college career, I would not be able to switch my major to art, should i look into art summer school classes? Or would trying to find an internship at a production company be more benficial. Specific information or pehaps a website that can point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patrick Tormey in Santa Cruz, California

54 months ago

sorry, typed in the wrong box, forgive me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous Coward in Dallas, Texas

38 months ago

If you got the money, the best bet would be to go to a portfolio school. Miami Ad School, Portfolio Center, Creative Circus. Those are mostly 2 or 3 year programs geared specifically toward advertising and a lot of people who have studied something else unrelated to advertising, and who decide to change careers, enroll there. They're somewhat expensive though.

That would be the easiest route. Or if you can somehow get an internship at an ad agency's creative department.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.