Getting ahead...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a hirable art teacher? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective art teacher?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

unemployed in Saint Michael, Minnesota

98 months ago

You don't have many choices in regards to becoming any teacher. You must be licensed. You have to get a 4 year degree specialized in art education. Unless you want to work at post secondary level then you need a masters in the particular form of art you want to specialize in.
You have to keep your license up and that would depend on your state. In MN, I have not had any issues or found it hard to maintain the license.
Non-traditional? I don't think there are any. You must be licensed. Even if you get hired as a sub or something, you would still eventually need to take care of that detail.
There are programs like Teach for America that could get you a job, but again, the expectation would be to get the schooling.

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

unemployed art teacher in San Francisco, California

98 months ago

If you wish to be employable, I would try a different career. Teaching in the arts is extremely competitive because many artists use teaching to support their studio practice.

To teach at most colleges, you need a Masters degree in the area of specialization. Many community colleges and private art schools will waive the MFA requirement if you have significant experience (like you are already a super famous artists), or your specialization is in high demand (such as graphic design or web building).

If you plan to teach high school or elementary, I recommend specializing in a couple subjects. Then you have a competitive edge and can also sub for different subjects. I don't know much about the certification where you live, but in California you can look it up on the state website. I believe it requires both a 4-year degree and a period of internship where you get practice.

As far as being "effective," well that is a skill that will develop through practice (graduate school or other training), and continuing to learn from your mistakes. I recommend studying a broad range of complementary subjects to help you in your teaching career: psychology, ethics, speech, history, science, sociology, and on and on. Always have patience, always safe everything from all your classes, listen, have a sense of humor, etc.

Good luck, but honestly it is extremely hard to make it as a teacher. But, the reward a a job well done makes it worth while.

Reply - Report abuse

khladu@*****.*** in Brick, New Jersey

84 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a hirable art teacher? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective art teacher?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Dear Unemployed,
My sincere advice having had to create my own classes since graduation with a master of fine arts in Education 17 years ago except for one short stint in a public school and a poor paying but satisfying stint in a Catholic school which unfortunately was closed, is to know someone who does the hiring.
At least that's how it is done in New Jersey. You can be up against someone who is a working artist with tons of experience and if you know the right person, the job is yours not theirs.
So hopefully this is not the case in San Fran.
Peace,
K

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.