Top artist skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every artist must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your artist expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

isac in Kingman, Arizona

67 months ago

1.Appeal to the masses.
2.Love what you do.
3.Have a good theme.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

melmar in Oakland, California

67 months ago

Have nerves of steel, a propensity for handling LOTS of rejection, and have a day job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Art n Antiques in Mansfield, Ohio

52 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every artist must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your artist expertise?

Luck, talent, thick skin AND tenacious passion to give you 4. And yes, it doesn't hurt to have a day job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

audrey in Findlay, Ohio

35 months ago

I think you have to have a stedy hand at what you do. and you have to be vary vary pacient and calm. you have to love doing the job to. drawling and doing things with art is mt passion i love it and i cant live with out it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ISAC in Lubbock, Texas

35 months ago

THANKS ALOT BUDDY. I HAVE SEVERAL OTHER PICS I WILL POST. I LOVE SHARING COOL STUFF WITH THE WORLD.
HAVE A GOOD ONE,
ISAC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

H R Gerrard in Grand Junction, Colorado

34 months ago

I am a homeless person, 55 years old and I have no real employment, I volunteer at a gift and retail store for enough money to keep my possessions in a 10'x 15' storage unit month after month. I define myself as an artist. I drew and painted small fantasy artworks and sold copies of my works for about $20 apiece which more or less kept me alive and kept my possessions safe. I am no success story by any one's measure or evaluation. But the Lady who owns the business saw that in her estimation my artwork. was worth something and on my birthday she gave me a laptop computer.I have tears in my eyes just remembering this. A friend had lent me a CD that had Corel Draw and PhotoPaint 9 to load onto the laptop and I have spent half a year learning how to do digital art and have been able to do advertisements and illustrations for the store. I went to the local library to get books on digital artwork and have used YouTube to find tutorials to help me understand this new media. I may not be a well paid artist but that really isn't the point. I get to do it! I get to draw, to sketch, to paint, to imagine, to actually bring my ideas to reality. And I am still able to sell some copies of my art which has improved considerably. I may never get financially secure. Indeed, I am still looked down upon by many simply because I'm homeless.
But I believe in my art. I believe in myself. And that makes me feel like the happiest person I can be.
Do your art. Do your passion! Life is difficult and sometimes cruel. But you can use what you are going through to fuel your imagination which is any artist's way to envision a better world, the world that you see in your mind, the world that you can show others. Your inspiration may inspire others to buy your images.
I often joke that many people choose to use chemicals or alcohol or other substances to have hallucinations.
But I Can SHOW YOU MINE!
I can do that.
I AM AN ARTIST!
Damn Straight!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.