Show me the money...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (13)

Host

What are typical assistant property manager salaries? Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Ana Smith in Dallas, Texas

89 months ago

Assistant Property manager's typically make between 35,000 and 40,000. However I have made up to 48,000 including bonuses at a class A property. Many companies offer bonus incentives for leases and collections. Many companies promote from within and quickly. Often this is not a bad field to enter at the bottom and work your way up as it happens fast if you work hard. The perception of knocking down peoples door for rent and getting yelled at is not what it is today. It is much more a professional setting and the properties are much for high class than what they built in the 70's and 80's appealing to a much more classy clientel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mathew from California in Oakland, California

89 months ago

Ana Smith in Dallas, Texas said: Assistant Property manager's typically make between 35,000 and 40,000. However I have made up to 48,000 including bonuses at a class A property. Many companies offer bonus incentives for leases and collections. Many companies promote from within and quickly. Often this is not a bad field to enter at the bottom and work your way up as it happens fast if you work hard. The perception of knocking down peoples door for rent and getting yelled at is not what it is today. It is much more a professional setting and the properties are much for high class than what they built in the 70's and 80's appealing to a much more classy clientel.

I'm finding it real difficult to get my foot in the door as an assistant property manager. I have several years of real estate, and lending experience,hold a real estate license for my state, hold a BA Degree, and am computer literate teaching computer applications. I have interviewed with Cushman & Wakefiled,and CB Richard Ellis, and though they liked my background, and the interviews went well, I will be danmed if I can get anyone to hire me. What am I doing wrong besides not having any experience in managing commercial property ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Nichole in New Berlin, Wisconsin

88 months ago

I am assuming your degree is in Real Estate? What help more often than not is to also have a property management certificate/diploma.
Also, you might have a better chance of getting hired in the residential property field rather than commmercial. For, it is very typical for commercial properties to not need individual assistant managers. They are usually managed through their office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dragon in Pompano Beach, Florida

84 months ago

Matt
So you want to work for CBRE and C&W, kiss a lot of butt, be very handsome,kiss butt, have a full blown degree, kiss butt
and when your in the interview explain your a kiss butt.
Chances are you will get the job, DO NOT express your skills as you have only one kissing butt.
Got the idea
P.S. Your expendable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Dragon in Pompano Beach, Florida

84 months ago

Nichole in New Berlin, Wisconsin said: I am assuming your degree is in Real Estate? What help more often than not is to also have a property management certificate/diploma.
Also, you might have a better chance of getting hired in the residential property field rather than commmercial. For, it is very typical for commercial properties to not need individual assistant managers. They are usually managed through their office.

Nicole Your correct, not in commercial properties, your a receptionist.
Try common interest communities, the salaries are decent and growth is very quick

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia Z in Arlington, Texas

76 months ago

Mathew from California in Oakland, California said: I'm finding it real difficult to get my foot in the door as an assistant property manager. I have several years of real estate, and lending experience,hold a real estate license for my state, hold a BA Degree, and am computer literate teaching computer applications. I have interviewed with Cushman & Wakefiled,and CB Richard Ellis, and though they liked my background, and the interviews went well, I will be danmed if I can get anyone to hire me. What am I doing wrong besides not having any experience in managing commercial property ?

Most property management companies are not really looking at college degrees only. You need to have the experience of working with a lot of people(prospective renters and community residents)on a daily basis, plus fair housing law knowledge, and property software experience. Most apt communities are fast paced and very competitive. To be honest with you no one really has the time to train someone who is a newbie. We hired a real estate agent once, and she felt that it was beneath her to "Show so many people in one day".
Try a staffing agency that will train you and that caters to the apt industry.
Oh and you have to start as a leasing consultant first and work your way up. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Olivia Z in Arlington, Texas

76 months ago

Ana Smith in Dallas, Texas said: Assistant Property manager's typically make between 35,000 and 40,000. However I have made up to 48,000 including bonuses at a class A property. Many companies offer bonus incentives for leases and collections. Many companies promote from within and quickly. Often this is not a bad field to enter at the bottom and work your way up as it happens fast if you work hard. The perception of knocking down peoples door for rent and getting yelled at is not what it is today. It is much more a professional setting and the properties are much for high class than what they built in the 70's and 80's appealing to a much more classy clientel.

Who do you work for? because only yesterday my supervisor asked me to come in this weekend to knock on doors to collect small balances.
Looking to get out of here fast!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

angel01 in Saint John, Indiana

66 months ago

all of these comments we're very insightful

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

58 months ago

@ Olivia Z in Arlington...... collecting small balances on the weekend? I dunno. That's kinda rude. But, people are more than likely home them. And you want that money collected. Zero delinquency is the best. Resident's pay your paycheck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kateminus8 in Mesa, Arizona

51 months ago

In the past I have gone down the rabbit hole chasing after a dream only to find that I spent a lot of money and got nothing back. This career change I'm attempting, I'm preceding with caution. Will the investment in time and money for the IREM Property Management certification? All comments are appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Former Assistant in New York, New York

39 months ago

Kateminus8 in Mesa, Arizona said: In the past I have gone down the rabbit hole chasing after a dream only to find that I spent a lot of money and got nothing back. This career change I'm attempting, I'm preceding with caution. Will the investment in time and money for the IREM Property Management certification? All comments are appreciated.

The noted certification will help - the work is simple and straight forward - most of the time. The only thing you need to be able to be good at is follow up and pass information along to the the higher ups as they will advise you on what to do. Dont expect anyone to take responsibility for mistakes made by you when they havent been informed properly. Information is teh name of the name of teh game.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sratanshi@gmail.com in Richmond, British Columbia

22 months ago

Is Real Estate Management a good business to get into in Vancouver British Colombia,Canada

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.