Starting out...

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

How did you get your start doing assistant property manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

jeanette in Seattle, Washington

89 months ago

i need to know what i need to do to become a apartment manager or property manager or to become a assistant i do not have money to go school but i know i have enough self knowlege to do the job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Unemployed Property Manager in West Palm Beach, Florida

89 months ago

In Florida you need to go to an 18 hour classroom instruction and pass a state exam with 75 percent. I started out as an Administrative Assistant. You could start there or as a receptionist. Check with your state requirements before you do anything. Self knowledge is good but you need practical experience in the field. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

82 in White Plains, New York

79 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing assistant property manager work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Search the state you are in and you will find Assistant Property Manager positions that require no more than a HSD/GED. They are looking for great customer service skills and office skills. I started in the mortgage business which was easy to get into. From there I spent a year as Property Administrator/AKA Lease Administrator position. It is mostly clerical and any one with office skills can handle it. I luck up on a Property Manager position. It is part-time, but I handle all the day to day operations as a full time one. I believe you may find it easier to find a position in a market rental building or complex verses a HUD or Tax credit building. In any case search, and you will find someone will give you a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Everett, Washington

32 months ago

If you join a property as anything they will educate you and generally pay for the advancement education. They want you to be involved in the multifamil housing association. You want to sell them on your skills with people and details and from there it is a walk in the park.

Best wishes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.