Overqualified

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Eileen Beal in Killeen, Texas

83 months ago

Why is it for jobs I have been doing almost all my life at one point or another, they always claim I,m over qualified ? What exactly do they mean by that? I would if I was an employer, would love to have a person whom was qualified for the job applying for so I wouldn,t have to train that person, so pls. explain ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Eileen Beal in Killeen, Texas

83 months ago

u havent answer my ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Athens, Ohio

82 months ago

Eileen Beal in Killeen, Texas said: Why is it for jobs I have been doing almost all my life at one point or another, they always claim I,m over qualified ? What exactly do they mean by that? I would if I was an employer, would love to have a person whom was qualified for the job applying for so I wouldn,t have to train that person, so pls. explain ?

they have to pay you more....so they would probably rather train someone quick and pay less salary

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

star facet

82 months ago

I think the last person did answer your ? That is often an excuse companies use when they don't want to pay you a high wage or when they (the hirer) fills threaten by the knowledge that you have. They will also try to use the excuse about you knowing to much and they can't train you the way they want to. Always remeber: "No one can be to qualified".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

juju gray in Wausau, Wisconsin

78 months ago

I am having the same trouble with the "Overqualified" excuse as well. I have 14 years in, and I can't find a job anywhere that won't NOW pay me below poverty wage. I am also in my late 40's. I loved what I did, and now I can't seem to find work anywhere. The last job intervies I had offered me 6 an hour at 10 a week. I used to get 40+ and a lot more money. What else is there? I thought of school, but this has just gotten me a bit "Ho Hummed!!"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kwilliams51460 in La Habra, California

70 months ago

You think you are having problems well try looking for a new job when you are 58 years old ! this is my problem now even when you apply to a company that states they are E.O.E. I have been in the automotive service industry since I was a teenager and have more experience and care what I do and have been told excellent work ethic & excellent background but someone else gets the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

GAGNONCARLSKIDS

68 months ago

i am having the same problem as the previous stated with age being at 58 and the rate of pay required with 40 years experience in retailing. my employment record is perfect and very good experience. your forum of question and answeres have been helpful in understanding why i am not being offered interviews or no replies at all. i am located in connecticut. i hope that this will cease soon before i make arrangements for retirement which i am not looking forward to! i consider these employer indifference as employment discrimination! do you agree?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

MaryVic in Colorado Springs, Colorado

67 months ago

GAGNONCARLSKIDS said: i am having the same problem as the previous stated with age being at 58 and the rate of pay required with 40 years experience in retailing. my employment record is perfect and very good experience. your forum of question and answeres have been helpful in understanding why i am not being offered interviews or no replies at all. i am located in connecticut. i hope that this will cease soon before i make arrangements for retirement which i am not looking forward to! i consider these employer indifference as employment discrimination! do you agree?

What's really unfortunate is that many of us are willing to take less pay - that's a no brainer in this economy. It has to be some kind of age discrimination. In my opinion, and I don't want to stereotype people under 35, but older workers tend to have a better work ethic (punctuality, attendance, endurance)and tend to be more loyal to an employer. Younger workers tend to flake out and leave without notice often because they are "bored." This is just my own experience in my field. You would think companies would wake up and realize how much they lose in customer service quality when they have to keep training inexperienced new hires over and over again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

ME in Milford, Massachusetts

50 months ago

Over qualified-----------means, you are to stuck in an old way of thinking, or doing things a certain way, therefore we cannot form you to our way of doing things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

ME in Milford, Massachusetts

50 months ago

ME in Milford, Massachusetts said: Over qualified-----------means, you are to stuck in an old way of thinking, or doing things a certain way, therefore we cannot form you to our way of doing things.

Or your knowledge and/or education surpasses the one whos hiring you. This is sad, but true

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

patriceivy@hotmail.com in Hamilton, Ontario

48 months ago

when I went for an interview, the interviewer felt threating by me,I believe she thought I could take her job away from her.because I was over qualified to poor coffee into cups.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

LG in Denver, Colorado

44 months ago

For those of you getting the over "qualified comments" or your getting up there in age. That means you are a threat. So beat them at their game. Re-do your resume to show only the last 10 years of experience. Remove any degrees. That's for service related jobs only. For technical jobs and jobs that require a degree, of course you will need to include it. I have over five different resumes. All same job experiences. Just rename the position(s) to reflect as truthfully as possible, to the job your applying for. I just sent my resume out and I removed my degree, and show only the last ten years and I have a interview. Computers skills are VERY necessary. No matter what job your applying for! Make sure at the very least you know MS Office suite.

Of course, it does depends where you live in the country as well. Just remember your not going to make what you used to in the beginning. I'm in my 30's and I used to get the same response as my 40's and 50's something on this job forum. Hang in there, and this too shall pass.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

giogioar in Marshalltown, Iowa

35 months ago

I must profusely agree with ME in Milford. Competent people are a threat, indeed, to feeble minded employees with no personal thrive. It is not about productivity. It's High School B.S all over again (bullying included but not acknowledged as we are adults right?) I am waiting for this job opportunity/ interview for which I am more than qualified but no answer for it in a month. The job has been reposted, 30 days later, and due to its spatial closeness I am reapplying.... and if this time I don't even get an interview I am certainly contemplating writing to the HQ about it. I have declined two job interviews an hour and a half away from home with a much higher pay rate. For God sake!! One of the opportunities I did not even apply for, they were looking for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

anonymously in Olivehurst, California

23 months ago

Eileen Beal in Killeen, Texas said: Why is it for jobs I have been doing almost all my life at one point or another, they always claim I,m over qualified ? What exactly do they mean by that? I would if I was an employer, would love to have a person whom was qualified for the job applying for so I wouldn,t have to train that person, so pls. explain ?

When an employer says you are over qualified, they are afraid you will come in and take their Job. So they wont hire you and use that as an excuse. I know this because i was a manager/trainer for a large retail comp. You dont want someone coming in and being able to take your job for a smaller salary. its as simple as that. Dummy down your resume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.