Top associate producer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every associate producer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your associate producer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

patricia carucci in Monroe, New York

83 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every associate producer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your associate producer expertise?

Patricia Carucci

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

WilkosAP1 in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

patricia carucci in Monroe, New York said: Patricia Carucci

Patricia,

It depends on what type of Television show you work on. I worked as an Associate Producer and Production Assistant for the Steve Wilkos Show. It's the toughest talk show to book in all of TV.
Some characteristics that helped me do my job were:

*Fierce and persuasive communication skills.*

*Determination and the ability to work 88+ hours/week over a 6 day work week.*

and lastly,

great research skills. The ability to find "the true story" within the obvious story.

I hope that helps and if you have anymore questions feel free!
NC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Producer Extraordinaire in New York, New York

60 months ago

I can only speak to producing daytime syndie, but I think the key to excelling in this genre is to not get burnt out and to know how to ask your guests the right questions. As mentioned above, APs can be worked to the core. Every show that I have worked for has said they are the toughest to book for. I am a believer in that it doesn't have much to do with the actual show, but the person behind the phone. Although, I do admit cold calling people off of claims (like on court shows) is a hell of a lot harder than calling off of cart (people who write/call into the show). Being a successful AP is about knowing how to fake being someone's best friend and knowing how to be an awesome stalker. You don't have to work 90 hours a week, you just have to be good over the phone and know how to talk to someone, as their equal, while secretly trying to pry your story/angle out of them. The more you have to work, the more you probably have to brush up on your phone skills.
Though, it is important to be dedicated. If you don't have your stuff done, you stay late and come in on the weekends. If you are booked, you go home at 6. It's all up to you to get your job done.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

interested.. in New York, New York

36 months ago

Thanks for the above, it was very helpful. That being said, what is the best way to get hired for the job? I have a diverse background which includes several aspects of the entertainment world, television production, talent management and development. After completing my BA in Film/TV I interned for Politically Incorrect before they moved to LA (long time ago.) I bring a lot to the table - but I know it takes that break...
I am a people person, the kind that people feel comfortable sharing stories with. I have a very calming voice... I have great story ideas, research and diverse background and contacts to follow through. I am seeking the opportunity. I would appreciate your advice. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.