Just out of Recording School Eager & No work???

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

john doe in Nashville, Tennessee

61 months ago

Welcome to the music industry.

For the last ten years (or since the original Napster) the music industry has steadily declined. I think that cd sales were down 19% overall last year.

The reason that no one is giving you a job is because they are all in fear of losing their own jobs.

To be successful in this industry you need to create your own job. I am an engineer and to stay busy I make records, do television broadcast, live sound, jingle work, radio tours etc.

You can't wait for someone to let you do anything in this industry, you need to go out and do it yourself.

I used to think that with the changing industry i.e. downloads, that I still had job security as an engineer. I figured that artists still would need to record their records but that the way that they were packaged and distributed would change. However, I have realized that in the last couple of years that it has affected my gig. Because Pro Tools has become affordable with the Mbox every artist on the planet thinks that they can record their own records. However, they don't know how to use the software and so the industry has suffered yet again. Not only did the affordability of Pro Tools put it in the hands of the few that are talented it put it in the hands of the many that are not and so the market it flooded with garbage.

I had a kid ask me if I recommended him going to a 4 year school to get a degree in recording. I told him that if he had asked me ten years ago, I would have said yes. But today I told him not to do it, that he would be working the rest of his life to make the money that he spent on his education. He thanked me and decided to go into computer science.

I don't mean to come across so negative, however it is the way that it is.

If you are any good, my suggestion is to record people in your home and try to make a name for yourself that way.

Just start hustling so you are not saying "would you like fries with that."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in New York, New York

61 months ago

Hey Damedoo, I would recommend just recording anyone anytime you can, and your portfolio will grow. Engineering is more about networking and meeting bands/artists when you are just starting out. Most engineers these days do a number of things to supplement their incomes, so be open to different opportunities. Even though many people are recording themselves, there's a lot of opportunity as a mixing engineer, so that's where I've been putting my focus. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

john doe in Nashville, Tennessee

60 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Frank in Sacramento, California

60 months ago

If you really are fresh out of school, you have to intern. Period. Humble yourself and work for free. Those of us that are working now, did just that. The bulk of some of your early credits will be jobs that weren't paid much or at all. It stinks, I know.

Don't expect a job because you just graduated. Don't expect someone to want to pay you for making them work harder to teach you what you definitely did not learn in school. The pie is small, there's no place setting for you at the table...yet.

Don't get taken or ripped off, that's not what I'm saying. The payoff is the experience, the credit AND the network.

The only way around it is to produce, record and release a string of hits with your own money on your own time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lester in Durham, North Carolina

59 months ago

This is story I'm quite familiar with. After a few years of wandering after my HS graduation, I decided to attend a similar school around 8 years ago in an effort to really succeed at something I had a passion for (as opposed to going what I saw as the boring, "normal" route).

After graduating, I soon realized that I had both had my head in the clouds and also had been misled by my schools staff and faculty about our odds of success. My entire graduating class felt that way.
The two biggest problems:
- As soon as school ended, people needed to start paying off their loans and simply couldn't afford to work full-time as an intern IF they found something.
- And secondly, it was nearly impossible to obtain a stable position as an intern without an "in". Regardless of how many hopeful engineers these programs turn out year after year, my personal experience is that most studios are just as likely to hire someone with no experience whatsoever (often a friend, a relative, the friend of a relative or vice versa) than it is to hire a recording school graduate.

So as the story went with the majority of my graduating class, people ventured out hoping to just be able to apply their schooling to 'something' while looking for a good opportunity. Most found what they could, and never got the opportunity they hoped for.

I personally ended up in the Audio Visual department at a hotel, and have wandered through various facets of the Audio Visual field since. I've run into a lot of people with similar stories over the past handful of years, and there really are no right answers.
I am trying to figure out the logistics of going back to school again, this time for something a little more "boring" and "normal".. (which means: realistic).

I agree with the previous posters. Find an internship and take it if you are able. Also do your own thing, and get as much exposure with it as you can.. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

puci in United Kingdom

20 months ago

DAMEDOO in Long Beach, California said: Please let me know, am I the only one who's going thru this seemingly evil plot to deter us engineer 's, from making our way into the music biz???

I mean, I figured since I've been an artist in the studio first or, since I was about 14yrs old or so, then after about 10 more years I decided to start producing, engineering , & learning more about post production/video editing and wanted to become a professional engineer myself, since I was so interested in everything music! But before this I never really wanted to go to college for anything, I decided to go for my Recording Engineering Cert & hoped to get the ProTools Cert also. Once I completed school though, POOF, did you hear me I said, POOF!!! There was NOTHING! Is there not any reasonable work/experience available for us willing/starving engineers.

The way it seems now is that no one wants to "give you a shot" unless you have had top notch, primetime references, & bells-n-whistles lists of award winning experience. I mean I'm fresh out of recording school I don't think you should be looking for my portfolio to say that I've worked on Jay-Z's platinum album yet do you??? It would be great, wonderful if I could and I doo just that, & I doo aspire to big acts like that but how will we ever get to that point? Unless we make the artist ourselves grooming them from step 1 - top charts (blow them up to mainstream artist status - off of our limited resources) and then be at the point where we don't need to list them on the resume, because everyone who's someone would have heard what you can doo. Right???

I'm confused, did the people who are behind the music now, start from where they're at, or was someone who was already blessed enough to be in the position of employing &/or training them give them that "shot"/opportunity?

I am in the process of opening an audio studio. I need a professional guidance 4rm u. My email is amorfati419@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

puci in London, United Kingdom

20 months ago

Hi, am an entrpreneur and am in the process of opening an audio studio. I need a professional guidance 4rm u. My email is amorfati419@gmail

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.