audio visual tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

rgf8621 in Tacoma, Washington

57 months ago

What is the best way to become AV TECH schooling or on the job training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

openmic in Winston Salem, North Carolina

57 months ago

On-the-job training. A/V is a specialized niche business and has a very small market, so most companies end up training their own people. Some vendors have training on their own products, but most A/V companies will set that up and pay the costs for you. There are certifications available from InfoComm, but it helps to already have some experience before starting those and again your company will probably pay the cost. Having a background in general electrical installation (such as an electrician's helper or electrician degree available from many community colleges) can help since many A/V projects include some facility electrical wiring work. Also, some general carpentry skills are helpful, especially if you will install A/V equipment in homes or fancy company board rooms.

Newton Koshi in Honolulu, Hawaii

57 months ago

OTJT...depending on which Audio Visual Company you sign up with as a "Freelance" technician.
Couple of suggestions:

If the people you work for are not passionate about what they are doing then why should you be?

Bad habits are hard to break.

Be early to work and willing and able to work beyond call time.

Learn from everyone.

I belong to International Communications Industries Association. These are the folks who have developed InfoComm. It is the cutting edge organization that focuses on Audio Visual training and education. If you are 200% serious in the field...this is the place to go to.

jean macenat in Newark, New Jersey

40 months ago

I would like to learn audio vision.How can I be in touch with the director?

Visual Indy in Fishers, Indiana

33 months ago

You do not need school unless you want to be a programmer. Just get certs for A+, Network+, and MSCE I use Linux, 2000, XP, and 7. You need experience for repairs and installation. Cutting a 20k board room table to insert RJ-45, RCA, and etc into the table takes experience and patience and a non cheap company to buy you new blades.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.