Are audio visual technician job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most audio visual technician opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in North Shore, New Zealand

91 months ago

Don't know about the states but here in New Zealand there is a definite shortage of experience AV techs - anyone out there fancy moving to Auckland, NZ? We deliver leading edge technology for corporate events. Find out more about us here www.stagingconnections.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

nic hard in Brooklyn, New York

91 months ago

I am a record engineer/producer looking to possibly move to NZ. What sort of opportunities are there. I am mostly experienced with audio, but have done a fair amount of tv and also have affiliations her in the us with common knowledge communications.

thanks

Nic Hard
nichard.com

Cathy in North Shore, New Zealand

91 months ago

We have a couple of vacancies for experienced AV techs. Email me - ctyler@stagingconnections.com - and I'll send you the ad and the job description. Cathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Moira Botherway in Panmure, New Zealand

89 months ago

Hi Cathy.
I am making an enquiry on behalf of my 20yr old son who is currently in Australia. He wants to become an audio visual technician but when he first looked into it end of 2005 there was no course he could do and a trainee job was like "hen's teeth"! He went and worked for Dick Smith for 16 months and is very into his computers, electronics, music etc, etc. I see there is now a course at Unitec either full time or partime, but I am very much a believer in on job training, like an apprenticeship. Do you take on trainees or can you suggest anyone to contact. Would appreciate your advice.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Auckland, New Zealand

89 months ago

Hi Moira,
Staging Connections (both Australia & NZ) run a paid trainee programme - Certificate III in Live Production, Theatre & Events. Trainees usually start at the beginning of the year. If your son is interested in joining the training programme please ask him to send his CV & cover letter to us, our address is on our website www.stagingconnections.com. The NZ office may be doing a mid-year intake of trainees this year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Moira Botherway in Panmure, New Zealand

89 months ago

Cathy, thank you so much for your response. I was really interested to read about the programme and have forwarded it on to my son - I know he will be keen!

Dave in Plymouth, United Kingdom

87 months ago

Oh my god cathy, let the ppor lad develop and find out about these things himself. I know you mean well but believe me, you are preventing him from growing into a man and an individual if you even so much as 'put him on the right track'. Let the lad sort it out himself, he will feel pride and not like he has be spoon fed. Only at that point will he but proud and satisfied with his decision.

Kind regards and meant in the nicest way

Dave

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Erin in Arlington, Virginia

70 months ago

As a Television repair man / AV installer repair person, I have seen a lot of down-grading placed on the Audio Visual technicians field. As if to say it's only the insignificant hardware stuff that no one really have any regards for. (until they really need it that is). Now as I approach retirement, seeing that not many younger people take interest into this field, it makes me kind of wonder what is going to happen in the future when what was old becomes new again.

Geek Girl in Canberra, Australia

62 months ago

Be careful of full time AV positions they often are not and the conditions are rather degrading and will make you poor. What I mean is that they often have a clause in the contract which means if they do not have 35 hours of work to give you that week they will only pay you for the hours you work which often ends up being less than livable. If your good, negotiate with lots of companies if you are starting out just take everything on you will get trained more on the job than anywhere else. People are pretty good if you ask and you want to learn something. But to answer the question in Canberra AV rolse are declining in fact people are getting let go in the industry because less people want to do conferences in the economic downturn. I have had to give up my role as an AV tech as it became too eratic in terms of pay. I know other have had to do the same.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Newton Koshi in Honolulu, Hawaii

62 months ago

From the middle of the Pacific:

To the original question: growth or decline?

How about Transitional growth.

At one point AV was done by: Audio guys that didn't have gigs, AV nerds from high school that kept going, theater technicians that didn't needed more steady income, etc...no one "grewup" wanting to be a "Audio Visual Technician"

The industry within the last 8 years has taken a turn so that the expectations of the technicians are not only technical knowledge but also customer service oriented. You may have great technical knowledge of PowerPoint or Keynote presentation but if you can not communicate with the presenter or presenting organization you will not be on the "top-hire" list...this is also true for Audio Technicians who consider themselves A1 material but constantly show up late for calls or refuse to assist in strike.

So from "Roadies/Techies" who fell into the AV industry a new generation of Technician are being groomed via other fields ( IT,computer tech, hospitality industry ) that although they might not know micrphones / mixers / LCD projectors - they have the discipline to get to work on time, to communicate clearly with clients, to research areas they are not strong in...its not rocket science; but no one is going to hold your hand and give you gold stars for learning stuff.

Tony Spicolli in Oak Forest, Illinois

60 months ago

I don't know what the job outlook is outside of the US, but here in Chicago nobody cares about your skills or experience in the AV industry. If you have no experience in sales or management they want nothing to do with you and won't even talk to you.

Erin F.T. in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

Hi,
Do you have any leads/advice you might share for my husband? He's looking for AV jobs in Hawaii, he's a seasoned live sound reinforcer/projectionist with an incredible educational background and people skills.. Thanks! Erin

Newton Koshi in Honolulu, Hawaii

57 months ago

Aloha Erin,

Ah...the allure of the islands...but don't forget about Gilligan's adventures ( then again you may not remember this classic tale...but I digress ).
We are always in search of new talent who have the fortitude to stick it out as they get to know the various companies that inhabit these islands; We [ PROjection Presentation Technology ] inhabit the Hawaii Convention Center. The others are PSAV in house at the Sheraton Waikiki, Royal Hawaiian & Princess Kaiulani hotels, PSAV staging, AVT { a FREEMAN company } at Hilton Hawaiian Village, Staging Solutions, SWANK - Maui hotel properties, and a slew of local companies all compete for the same batch of A1s, A2s Monitor techs etc. The Local IASTE = 665 and they carry a lot of the City and County of Honolulu events.

Not to discourge; but in light of current economic times ~ Hawaii is a nice place to visit but when it comes to work it is better to be on a bigger rock with the ablity to move around...Unless you are a Medical Dr. supporting your husband...

Hope this helps

Erin F.T. in Brooklyn, New York

57 months ago

Thank you for your comment, the information will come in handy! Things aren't any better on the rock called Manhattan; in HI at least we can look around and see something pretty.
Mahalo,
Erin

assena in Orlando, Florida

46 months ago

My husband has more that 13 years in the AV industry as an installer and site supervisor. He has worked as a subcontrator for about 6 years. He has not been able to find any work in the last 2 months.
He is willing to work full time as an employee but, it seems that his skills and experience are not being recognized or he is to over qualified. He is even willing to travel but, it seems that either companies don't want to pay or is the industry not doing well right now.

Skip O'Connor in Albany, New York

46 months ago

I am the guy that grew up wanting to be an A/V guy.
My Dad is an electrical engineer who taught me a variety of things (such as soldering by the time I was 10.
I started with a Give-a-show projector around that age, recording the slide show track on a cassette recorder, doing a show with my sister. Moved on to radio drama, recording scripts and skits for "radio" with my Mom. Wanted to be a DJ on the radio, was the "tech guy" for high school band, setting up mics and a PA. Became a Cable Television Technician, then a Radio Shack store manager, then sold some cellular and found my way back (through Cable TV Head End jobs) to presentation systems!
Now my "give-a-show" projector is a double-stacked Barco at the esteemed West Point Military Academy, maybe used by the President!
Now here I am, at 51, the Field Operations Manager for the best audio-visual and broadcast integrator in upstate New York.
Are there jobs?
We just had a banner year, the biggest in our 60-year history.

Jobs for A/V techs? Experience? I can't find good new-hire techs to save my life. Send me some. I'm always a hand short and could use ten extra techs in the summer.
Sporadic work? Nature of the nasty beast. The best we can do is have a couple of light weeks in the fall and a few light weeks in the spring, and encourage folks to take vacation time then (almost impossible during the rushes of December and summer). We keep the staff lean to avoid this, which means extra work, extra hours and extra stress during the busy times. We also try to take advantage of down time to do on-line training and the like, but sometimes guys are just "free to go".
Well, looks like this will just be another "message in a bottle", since it looks like almost no one has been to this site for a couple of years (except Assena in Orlando!).
I popped in looking for a source for training, and found the answer I already knew: there really is no comprehensive training program that can "make a tech". It's Apprenticeshi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

avav in Nederland, Texas

45 months ago

I’ve been in the AV industry for 10 years 8 in hotel industry and 2 in corporate AV industry. In the hotel industry it was up and down and the pay was not that good. For the corporate AV job I have now is very more calm pays a little better. Now I want to venture into having my own small AV company, with 2 other friends. Of course I’m not quitting my current job but would like to try my luck. Has anyone gone that route that can give me any knowledgeable advice?

gponciano@yahoo.com in Cavite, Philippines

43 months ago

Cathy in North Shore, New Zealand said: We have a couple of vacancies for experienced AV techs. Email me - ctyler@stagingconnections.com - and I'll send you the ad and the job description. Cathy

I would like to work in New Zealand. Presently I am working as a Audio Visual Supervisor in Dubai, UAE. I would like to know if their is any chances that I can get a working visa?

Glenn

F.V. Fester in East Rutherford, New Jersey

33 months ago

AV in the USA is shrinking. Companies are spending less and less on AV and events. AV companies are cutting cornere by hiring inexperienced techs. AV RENTAL HOUSES and AV COMPANIES are not hiring older and experienced AV people and are openly discriminating against the experienced. The outlook is bleak for this industry and AV companies are disappearing leaving only a few major players who don't respond to applicants and basically are becoming a bunch of creeps who can no longer justify their existance because a child can figure out most av gear. Yeah I sound like a bummer but that's what's happening.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DeltaGolf in Gaithersburg, Maryland

32 months ago

The AV industry has changed thats all, Its becoming light weight and the major IT firms are picking up that work. You have to keep reinventing yourself to make it in this buisness. I work for a fairly large company and we changed our target clients to improve revenue. I also tried having my own company and failed, I attribute that to the economy back in 2002-3. IT will eventually be A/V with the exception of large venue projects...my two cents

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lowey10 in London, United Kingdom

31 months ago

Im currently on the VC Helpdesk for the past 2 years and before that ive had 10 years experience as an AV Technician all within the same corporate company in the City Of London. Was just wondering if there are any vacancies out there, looking for NZ or Australia, would be good to hear from someone ratehr than post all my details on here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Worker12 in West Frankfort, Illinois

18 months ago

Anyone out there still looking for a job in audio (running a sound board for live events, doing house sound and a master at protools) with at least 4 years of experience drop me an email at flguy_1@yahoo.com We possibly have an opening for a full time position with benefits in southern IL.

Leo A. in Oxnard, California

15 months ago

Ive been in the Commercial / Pro AV business for 15 years. I started when I was only 20. I have done everything from Small classrom AV and Corporate AV systems to Large Sportung and Performance venues. Ive been doing it here in California the whole time. Ive done one large job in Hawaii and another in Florida. Ive been looking for work the pas few months with out much luck. Im willing to go anywhere in the world to work. I love what I do for a luving and dont plan on doing anything else. I am well versed in Sales, Design, Implementation,and Service of all sizes of systems. I have experience also in DSP programming.

Leo A. in Oxnard, California

15 months ago

Leo A. in Oxnard, California said: Ive been in the Commercial / Pro AV business for 15 years. I started when I was only 20. I have done everything from Small classrom AV and Corporate AV systems to Large Sporting and Performance venues. Ive been doing it here in California the whole time. Ive done one large job in Hawaii and another in Florida. Ive been looking for work the past few months with out much luck. Im willing to go anywhere in the world to work. I love what I do for a living and don't plan on doing anything else. I am well versed in Sales, Design, Implementation,and Service of all sizes of systems. I have experience also in DSP programming.

oopps

Corey S. in Ocoee, Florida

10 months ago

I'm curious about moving to NZ or Aus, have experience as a teleprompter Op. and graphics (PPT/Keynote) Op. and designer. Is this field still expanding in that realm?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.